Forums Latest Members

Looking for local service recommendation in Portland, OR (vintage Omega)

1. OMO Aug 1, 2014

Hi -
    I have always been interested in vintage watches, but am new to this so any information and advice will be appreciated.

I recently purchased a vintage Omega Seamaster 600 at an estate sale. It keeps good time, but the dial is badly scratched and hands are bent. Included with the watch were a new dial and set of hands. ($75.00 total). Original dial is champagne-silver, replacement dial is black "military style" -- appears to be a re-paint (looks like Seamaster CK style, but says Seamaster 600). Original hands are "stick" style; replacement hands are "dauphine" style.

I have spent some time researching this (and other) forums, and it looks to be a 135.011 case, and I assume a c.601 movement. Although I haven't opened the case back to confirm this (is there an easy way to do this without a special tool?).

I would like to find a local watchmaker to help service and replace parts. I would like this watch to be a daily wearer, and one I can enjoy and learn from as I start to build a collection. I'm also a student and just starting out, so finding a reliable yet economical watchmaker is preferable to top-notch factory service.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!
    OMO

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 1, 2014

Not sure where The Dalles, OR is relative to Portland, but one of the best is located there.

http://www.chronodeco.com/repair.htm

Craig Bergsma should be able to help you out. However, is it really worth spending all that money to service a watch with replacement dial and hands?

You'll need to consult with Craig to answer that question, as without pictures, there's nothing we can say here.
    gatorcpa

3. OMO Aug 1, 2014

Thank you gatorcpa. The Dalles is a couple of hours away, so not too convenient. But a good reference nonetheless!

Since I am new to this, I don't have a good sense of what servicing or hand/dial replacement would cost. If I could get it all done for $100, then it could be worth it for me. Even though it wouldn't be all original and may not have much collector value, I like the aesthetic and would enjoy it as a daily wear watch.

I was looking at this thread -- the poster has an almost identical watch and is asking about replacing the hands and other service (on the order of $100) .
    http://omegaforums.net/threads/hands-too-short-seamaster-135-011.14790/

I have attached a couple of pictures of my watch (sorry for the poor quality!) and also of a picture I found on the web with similar dial/hands to what was included with my watch. My spare dial/hands are in little packages and I don't want to disturb them and get fingerprints on them, etc, otherwise I would take a picture of them as well.

I really like the aesthetic of the black "military" dial and dauphine hands --- and it will be the closest I'll get to a Railmaster or vintage Seamaster CK for a long, long time (if ever)!

Thanks!
    OMO

photo 1-2.JPG photo 2-2.JPG Omega_Seamaster30_x.jpg

4. stefpix Aug 1, 2014

I think your watch looks like the one I have. My dial is worn out, and the hands are definitely shorter. I think your hands are correct.
    http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-watches-database?ref=15134

even if this is the gold plated version (the steel one has no image).

I would not want a repainted dial. you can find plenty of vintage watches with repainted dials just like that from India for $10 to $40, brands like HMT or Henri Sandoz. I'd prefer that than an Omega with a fake dial.

I'd enjoy the Omega like that
    In the thread below there is a photo of a Seamaster 600

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/inexpensive-classic-vintage-954932.html

Screenshot 2014-08-01 22.00.58.jpg
  5. stefpix Aug 1, 2014

PS - how much did you pay for your Seamaster 600?

6. OMO Aug 5, 2014

Stefpix - thanks for the tip re: HMT. Seems like a good route to go for the styling.

I paid $75 for the watch + spare dial & hands. It was at an estate sale, where the owners had passed away and the entire contents of the house was being sold (furniture, clothes, etc).

I gave the watch a couple of winds and it started ticking. I set the time, then monitored it while I took a look around the rest of the house. 20 min later, it was spot on, so I took the gamble. $75 seemed like a good risk to take on a vintage Seamaster!