Hands-On With The New 2024 Omega Speedmaster FOiS (First Omega in Space)

A reflection from our blue planet underneath and a nod to those astronauts who saw her with their own eyes from a different vantage point. I would like to imagine what it was like to lose focus on any objects that were reflecting earth, including their watch if they were wearing one.

Neil Armstrong (Apollo 11, first human to walk on the Moon) - "It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn’t feel like a giant. I felt very, very small."

Chris Hadfield (ISS astronaut) - ""The world itself is overwhelmingly blue with deep, powerful oceans that take up most of the surface. It’s quite stunning when you first see it."

Yuri Gagarin (Vostok 1, first human in space) - "The sky is very dark; the Earth is bluish. Everything is seen very clearly."

Scott Kelly (ISS astronaut) - "You look out at this thing that is a blue ball, a blue and white planet, and it looks like it has a thin film around it, which is the atmosphere. It really gives you this perspective that it's our home, and it’s something we need to take care of."

And to the black that you see...

The FOIS man himself, Wally Schirra - “I left Earth three times, and found no other place to go. Please take care of Spaceship Earth.”
Oh so you're saying that the Earth has the same color as the dial of this new watch? Really?
(anyway, my previous post was written thinking you was referring to the space, not our planet) sorry

Hi Archer, I'm assuming the crystal is also 34.2mm and will work on other sapphire crystal Speedmasters, like the 2012 FOIS? Bezel insert is same as the regular 3861 Pro Speedmasters?

062Z019715 | GLASS SAPPHIRE AR1F MET 34.2​

Bezel inserts are not separately, nor are they listed separately for Speedmasters.

I almost regret the hesalite. I think a 2 speedy collection can be hesalite and white dial, or white dial and this.

Hesalite and this just feels a tiny bit same-y when there are so many other choices
I have a white dial and a hesalite, and will probably add this to them next.

062Z019715 | GLASS SAPPHIRE AR1F MET 34.2​

Bezel inserts are not separately, nor are they listed separately for Speedmasters.

So if someone were to order the crystal, it could be installed on another Speedmaster?

So if someone were to order the crystal, it could be installed on another Speedmaster?
Possibly - I haven't done the work to check the diameter of every Speedmaster model there is, but as long as the diameter of the existing crystal is the same, it should fit the case.

50th was 20~16mm, FOIS and EW are 19~15mm so probably not.

Apollo 11 50th bracelet taper is 20mm to 15mm.

Apollo 11 50th bracelet taper is 20mm to 15mm.
I stand corrected, always thought the 50th was exactly 1mm different in taper compared to 321 that has 19mm taper to 15mm.

Even so, the FOIS clasp is not compatible with the 321 flatlink so my guess is it wouldn't fit the 50th either.

I stand corrected, always thought the 50th was exactly 1mm different in taper compared to 321 that has 19mm taper to 15mm.

Even so, the FOIS clasp is not compatible with the 321 flatlink so my guess is it wouldn't fit the 50th either.

From what I have been able to gather, the issue is you need the very last link that attaches to the clasp to make these work with each other and that part isn't sold individually from the bracelet any longer.

Possibly - I haven't done the work to check the diameter of every Speedmaster model there is, but as long as the diameter of the existing crystal is the same, it should fit the case.
Thank you for the response. I'm sure somebody will try it in the future!

morning all,
Mine is paid for and coming next week direct from my usual OB in London. Very excited. 🤪

morning all,
Mine is paid for and coming next week direct from my usual OB in London. Very excited. 🤪
Same here. Can't wait to pick it at the OB in Monaco.

Look what the cat brought in…

Been a while since Omega did something I had to have.

Got to see the new FOIS on the bracelet and strap yesterday at my local OB. I’ll be brief in words and just add to the praise this watch is getting by saying, it’s absolutely f***in’ lovely. To what we’re all here for, pictures!

It’s a great look on the strap but for me it’s just perfect in the bracelet.

And for those who are curious / on the fence about the color of the lume. The color to me is lovely and works so well with the dial. Not nearly as dark as it shows in photos and once you have out from underneath the “too warm” of light color pendant lights in the OB, it really starts to show off the brilliance of the dial color. I also took a photo side by with the black dial Speedmaster 57 Coaxial with the very apparent faux-tina for those who may be curious to see them side by side.

Don’t know how soon I’ll be able to swing it but this new FOIS is now at the top of my list when I’m ready to by a modern piece.

Great pictures and keeps emphasising just how damn good a job Omega did with this one. I’d definitely be in there if I didn’t have the 321 already

Oh so you're saying that the Earth has the same color as the dial of this new watch? Really?
(anyway, my previous post was written thinking you was referring to the space, not our planet) sorry

One would need to use a little imagination.

I'd have to say I love this new FOIS. I'd say it's an inside the park home run for me.

It could have been an out of the park home run if they'd corrected the short comings of the FOIS 2012: hesalite crystal instead of sapphire crystal (like 2998s), baton white 9 o'clock subdial hand (like later 2998s), and 1/5th sub second marks instead of 1/3 sub second marks on the dial. Those could make it a faithful reissue for me. Maybe the 3rd generation FOIS will address these minimal but obvious short comings.