Hands-On With The New 2024 Omega Speedmaster FOiS (First Omega in Space)

2024 Omega Speedmaster FOiS on bracelet wrist shot
Almost four years ago, we announced that Omega was discontinuing the Speedmaster FOiS (First Omega in Space) model. The watch debuted in 2012 to commemorate the first Omega chronograph worn in space on the wrist of NASA astronaut Walter “Wally” Schirra during his Sigma 7 mission. The Speedmaster on Schirra’s wrist was a second-generation (CK2998) […]

Visit Hands-On With The New 2024 Omega Speedmaster FOiS (First Omega in Space) to read the full article.

Great photos in the article, the vintage patina lume has gotten extremely good over the years and really looks the part on this new FOIS.

I’m also glad they went with the 3861 rather than 321 for this to ensure supply is able to keep up with demand. In the early days there will be some people scalping them for sure but like the white dial released earlier this year it will pay to just be patient and wait to get one at a reasonable price.

Great photos in the article, the vintage patina lume has gotten extremely good over the years and really looks the part on this new FOIS.

I’m also glad they went with the 3861 rather than 321 for this to ensure supply is able to keep up with demand. In the early days there will be some people scalping them for sure but like the white dial released earlier this year it will pay to just be patient and wait to get one at a reasonable price.
the question is only if it makes sence to try to get first in line and pay retail, or wait for some time until demand goes down and try to get a used one under retail.. the risk on beeing first is overpaying, and the risk with waiting, is that if Omega decides to limit supply, end up waiting for years to come..

The real OG - picture of Wally’s watch from an Omega expo in NYC from last year.

Wow, I have to admit that this is very sharp. Well done, Omega. Now, could you please fix the Constellation line and try not to screw up the Aqua Terra line by updating it with ugly styling going forward? Thank you.

Wow ... Even cheaper than the standard 3861sapphire, looks better than 321 steel (subjective of course)?

I am sold!

It’s lovely

Very nice. I don't see a lot of blue in the photo, do you get a clearer sense of blue / soleil dial in real life?

The comfort fit clasp looks like its going to be a nice upgrade for the 321.

The comfort fit clasp looks like its going to be a nice upgrade for the 321.
A lot of people love that 3mm adjustment, it's something I've never needed or used. You end up with a longer, bulkier clasp, and in the case of the 321 is not in sync with the Ed White vintage vibe, imo. But they'll be conversions for sure.

I love it. I hope they'll get these out so everyone who wants one will be able to get their hands on it.

this watch is absolutely gorgeous. fantastic release. bravo Omega!
that saphire crystal for sure looks great - huge improvement.
I think I‘m sold. hard to pass on this one.

A lot of people love that 3mm adjustment, it's something I've never needed or used. You end up with a longer, bulkier clasp, and in the case of the 321 is not in sync with the Ed White vintage vibe, imo. But they'll be conversions for sure.

It's true it doesn't exactly fit the Vintage vibe, but vintage clasps often had a handful of micro positions: not two. That's something that never really made sense- just drill more holes.

Ultimately this is all a game of picking and choosing which features should remain on these vintage inspired watches, because sapphire crystals and ceramic bezels obviously are okay, but a better clasp isn't? Or, a bracelet with great adjustment but no taper (SM300 trilogy)? Sense <-----------> choices

Sometimes I seriously wonder if OMEGA makes a list of features, puts them up on a wall, and just throws darts at it.

SO far, this might be the only current "anniversary" that gets everything mostly right.And also, omega sapphire crystals are absolutely knocking it out of the park at this point. I genuinely hope that boring flat crystals take a backseat to what can be done with a good dome.

Omega hitting it out of the park with some of their recent releases.
Love the dial colour.

O well, it is a real beauty. Very tempting indeed. My reasonable side tells me: " no you already have enough watches ' The other side tells me: ' it is the new FOIS!!!!!.
I know it is a world class dilemma

Must resist…I usually only yearn for vintage, but this one is really testing my willpower. Really nice release Omega.

Must resist…I usually only yearn for vintage, but this one is really testing my willpower. Really nice release Omega.

I think I just gave up that battle