Forums Latest Members
  1. Aroxx Sets his watch Oct 17, 2022

Hello all, I've been lurking about for around a week so figured I should introduce myself before joining the fray. I've been a regular on some motorcycle forums but this is my first watch forum. I apologize in advance this ended up a bit long but I wanted to share a couple watches. That's what we're here for right?

I've liked watches since I was a kid but only had cheap quartz stuff and didn't actually know anything about watches. That was until about 6 years ago when my mother-in-law, a German ex-pat who also likes watches/clocks, came home from a trip to Germany and out of nowhere handed me a watch from her father. Turns out my Opa (in-law) loves automatics and has a bit of a collection. I started researching this watch and quickly realized it was pretty special. I'd been bitten by the bug as they say and dove head first down the rabbit hole.

Minerva Annual Calendar Chronograph with Moonphase (Valjoux 88):

minervaWrist.jpeg

minervaFace.jpg

At the time, spending lots of money on a watch wasn't in the cards but I got myself a Hamilton Khaki Field Automatic 38mm and wore the hell out of that for years. But my sights had been set on the grail, none other than the Omega Speedmaster Professional. One day. Then this June another watch landed in my lap. Opa purchased this new in 1989 (have the box and papers).

connie.jpeg

It's a great wearer, small, light, easy to read, and keeps amazing time even though I imagine it hasn't been serviced. Having an actual Omega on my wrist felt pretty good too. Well, things escalated a bit from there, I was deep down the rabbit hole again, the stars aligned, etc. etc. and I ended up buying a brand new 3861 Speedy Pro Hesalite a couple months back. It's everything I thought it would be and more and I've barely taken it off since I got it! I'd always been set on the display case-back but couldn't un-see the sapphire "milk" ring and am very happy I went Hesalite.

I also realized the dark side of this business. Once you acquire the grail, it's not over. You just replace it with a new grail (or 3). ::facepalm1:: Oh well, I plan to wear this Speedy into the ground and plenty of time to drool over watches in the meantime.

Anyway, thanks for reading. I bring with me no answers, only questions and banter. I've already learned more about the Connie in random threads here then in the minimal Googling I've done. Looking forward to learning lots from this very knowledgeable group!

Cheers,
    Alex

tmw57, 140dave, UncleBuck and 14 others like this.
  2. allwoundup Oct 17, 2022

Welcome, Alex. Nice collection! What part of the Garden State is home — northern, central, south, The Shore?

3. RevZMan123 Oct 17, 2022

No no, the proper greeting is as The Great P said ...you're from Jersey? I'm from Jersey! What exit?

Syrte, time flies, noelekal and 4 others like this.
  4. Geezer Oct 17, 2022

Welcome!

Love the Minerva which seems to be in an insanely good condition!

Aroxx likes this.
  5. Aroxx Sets his watch Oct 17, 2022

Thank you! I grew up in North Jersey (Sussex County) but now live in Central (Mercer County).

6. allwoundup Oct 17, 2022

We might be neighbors.

Aroxx likes this.
  7. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 17, 2022

Stunning Minerva!

My parents were from Patterson.

Aroxx likes this.
  8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 18, 2022

Welcome …. I myself entered the world in a famous university town in Mercer county. Grew up just across the border in PA, Moved back to that University town for work after college, then moved north to Central Jersey then Sparta over 20 years before transferring out to the midwest with a giant food company. That minerva is one heck of a nice gateway watch to this thing of ours.

Aroxx likes this.
  9. RevZMan123 Oct 18, 2022

I currently live in the pine barrens and the band plays down in Atlantic City.

Aroxx likes this.
  10. Aroxx Sets his watch Oct 18, 2022

I’ve spent time in all of those (NJ) places! Yes, I’m very grateful and lucky to have the Minerva. I think it was the perfect gateway watch because I immediately got into complications and the vintage world. Also, being a somewhat obscure brand with a lot of history and not a ton of information out there I had to do a lot of digging right away. I’m glad they’ve been revived under the Richemont group producing movements for Mont Blanc. I know some people write off Mont Blanc as a watch manufacturer because they’re new to the party but the Minerva connection has them on my radar and I think they are making some nice stuff.

Larry S likes this.
  11. Aroxx Sets his watch Oct 18, 2022

If any of you locals have recommendations for watchmakers I’d love to hear them. I’ve used Hamilton Jewelers in Princeton before and think they run a good operation but it’s on the pricey side. I have an Exquisit that needs to eventually be brought back to life and the Constellation will need a service sooner than later as well. Thanks.

Apologies for the glare. I need to have another go at my macro photography.
    exquisitFront.JPG

exquisitBack.JPG

allwoundup and noelekal like this.
  12. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Oct 18, 2022

Welcome to the Forum!

Glad you joined us.

Neato Minerva!

Aroxx likes this.
  13. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 18, 2022

@Aroxx ….My wife and I dearly miss Conte’s in Princeton. Best Pizza in the universe.

Aroxx and allwoundup like this.
  14. allwoundup Oct 18, 2022

Just finished a slice. Best pizza in Princeton for certain.

Contis.jpg
  15. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 18, 2022

Yea … go ahead rub it in……One does not understand the HELL that is pizza in Chicago…::facepalm1::….god I miss that place! My wife says…”thats just mean!” :)

16. allwoundup Oct 18, 2022

I would be happy to ship you a pie of your choice, but I fear it just wouldn't be the same. Drop me a line if you are coming to town and the pie and some suds are on me. Cheers!

Larry S likes this.
  17. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 18, 2022

Fond memories of ordering, enjoying long neck Rolling Rocks while the pie was baking and diving in. It was a Friday ritual with work buddies and then my soon to be wife moved down from Boston and she became a fan. My dad who was a physics PHD in the mid 50’s was also a regular.

allwoundup likes this.
  18. allwoundup Oct 18, 2022

I moved to Princeton twenty-four years or so ago. It was not a foodie town then, and though it has gotten better, it is not a foodie town today. Having grown up in an "Italian" town having great pizza, Conti's was a godsend....especially when our three sons were younger....the fact that Conti's has a bar didn't hurt either. Cheers!

Larry S likes this.
  19. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Oct 18, 2022

Welcome to the forum, and that Minerva is stunning indeed. You started out at the deep end.

Aroxx, tmw57 and Larry S like this.
  20. Aroxx Sets his watch Oct 19, 2022

I've never been there. Will be sure to try it out sometime!

Larry S and allwoundup like this.