Grandpa's chronograph - fix it or let it rest in peace?

Didn't realize that before. I did some search, read few posts here, some articles there, https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/new-report-shows-radium-dials-might-pose-serious-danger amongst them. It scared the s... out of me, I must admit.
Also didn't take any precautions when opening the watch. There were my kids in the same room, I was carrying one of them during the watch "inspection". Hopefully I've inhaled all the radon from my watch before they did. 🤔

Feeling a bit dizzy today... ;P

Left originality value aside, I've started thinking about finding a swap dial/hands or get rid of that deadly lume somehow...

Cheers

Radium is fine as long as as you're not licking the dial (the real danger in radium is in the production of the dials. See "Radium girls"). The risk from the dust and radon from opening the case once in a well ventilated area is lower than the radiation dose you get from taking a flight.

The study quoted in the article was talking about the case of keeping several radium dials in an air tight room. Keep the watch in a well ventilated area and radon won't build up.

Didn't realize that before. I did some search, read few posts here, some articles there, https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/new-report-shows-radium-dials-might-pose-serious-danger amongst them. It scared the s... out of me, I must admit.
Also didn't take any precautions when opening the watch. There were my kids in the same room, I was carrying one of them during the watch "inspection". Hopefully I've inhaled all the radon from my watch before they did. 🤔

Feeling a bit dizzy today... ;P

Left originality value aside, I've started thinking about finding a swap dial/hands or get rid of that deadly lume somehow...

Cheers

I would STRONGLY suggest against removing the lume. This will destroy the history and value.

One of these (albeit black dial in better condition with more attractive pushers) was just listed on Bulang & Sons as a "Price on Request" piece. Meaning MUCHO DINERO.

https://bulangandsons.com/collectio...mega-steel-step-case-chrono-calibre-33-3-w586

Keep this original! It will look unrecognizably better after a crystal replacement, cleaning and sympathetic service. Do not make any decisions until after you have that work performed. You will regret it if you do.

What I am about to suggest might seem like heresy to some. However, here goes.

This watch, as you'll gather by now, is an exceptionally special one with a high monetary value. It also needs to be taken special care of. Yes it was your Grandad's watch, but he wouldn't want it to become a liability for you. We already know that you want a SMP 300 and that you have kids. I suggest that the right thing now is to take time to determine a reasonable sale value for your watch. (You need 200 posts to sell here, but there are people here who would help you to move on a significant piece like this.) Then, sell it, buy a SMP 300 and wear that in your Grandad's memory. Spend some or all of the rest of the money on something that will make a wonderful and lasting memory for your kids. I don't know anything about your Grandad, but I feel fairly confident that he would have wanted you to do something like that.

WTF. Get this fixed asap. Killer watch

Awesome and rare watch. The dial is fantastic and please don't let anyone tamper with it.
The movement looks like it will need a lot of work by somebody who is very dedicated, but I would hope it is fully salvageable.
It will cost a significant amount to get it done, but IMO very worth the effort. Ultimately, it will be up to you if you are willing to put in the $s to
have an outstanding heirloom.

If you are keeping it, send it to @Archer, pay what he wants and wait for as long as you need. That way you are assured you will get a proper sympathetic restoration. If you are selling it, sell it as is - any work you do on it will almost certainly reduce its value. BTW the money you get for it should be enough to get you a car.

Don't remove the lume or have any kind of dial work done IMO. True professionals will know how to handle it, just get a proper rec from somebody knowledgeable on OF here. New crystal, proper service and don't go licking anything...you'll be fine and have an amazing time piece on your hand 👍

Wow, awesome watch ! Luckily you found it back and it didn't get lost.
As the others told, have it serviced only by a very good watchmaker that is used to work on this kind of watch and who won't touch the dial or polish the case.

Considering the price it could sell for and the fact that you don't especially like its aesthetic, selling it in order to fund a SMP300, plus having some change to invest/fund some nice vacations or whatever would seem like a perfectly reasonable idea.

Considering the price it could sell for and the fact that you don't especially like its aesthetic, selling it in order to fund a SMP300, plus having some change to invest/fund some nice vacations or whatever would seem like a perfectly reasonable idea.

An idea that @izydor will regret in years to come. I inherited a box of tools from my grandfather, mainly made by him -- that was his job. Rusty so threw them away. Big mistake, they could have been cleaned up and now I would very much like to have them. Still have my dad's slide rules and drawing instruments though, thank goodness.

+100 on taking advice on watchmakers to use from this forum. And have patience.

Fabulous Omega!

In a strange coincidence I bought the watch shown below yesterday. I believe the brand Lusserna was the house brand of the RH Macy department store back in the day. Presumably, they sourced watches from Swiss brands and had them relabeled.

This Lusserna carries a Lemania 27CH marked RHMacy on the bridge. Dial is similar, case (except for the pushers) is similar too.

Is it reasonable to assume that this Lusserna is from a similar time period (mid to late 1940s?

Sorry to contaminate this thread, but I got excited seeing a similar model!

Seller pictures:

5129ADFF-D75A-405C-B092-3B77488FC886.jpeg 34A437F0-3733-42B7-96B2-3C35DCA7F92A.jpeg

An idea that @izydor will regret in years to come. I inherited a box of tools from my grandfather, mainly made by him -- that was his job. Rusty so threw them away. Big mistake, they could have been cleaned up and now I would very much like to have them. Still have my dad's slide rules and drawing instruments though, thank goodness.

+100 on taking advice on watchmakers to use from this forum. And have patience.

I respectfully disagree. In this case it is not some rusty tools that are thrown away, but a watch that could be sold for a pretty large sum of money, from a grandfather OP didn't know, and that he doesn't really like (the watch not the grandpa 😁) because of the dial patina.
With such kind of money he could easily buy a couple brand new Omega (or even Rolex), including the SMP300 that seems to be his grail, while still having fair change to save or treat his family.

However, at the end of the day it is none of our business anyway, and maybe the watch will grow on OP and he'll decide to keep it.

Just interested in knowing why it shouldn't go to Omega. Newbie here.

Because they will ruin it. OP - congrats - outstanding watch, and touching provenance... wear it in good health

Omega (and Rolex, and other brands) aren’t in the business of “preserving” watches. They only know one way: to make things shiny and new again. They’re hammers and all the world is a nail.

This means that they’d polish away the case contours, potentially replace the dial with a new one, replace the crown.... essentially try and turn a 70 year old watch into a brand one, as best they can.

This eliminates the history, patina and, largely, the value. Most on this board are keen to preserve history - because once done, this work can’t be un-done.

Anybody else agree that Omega and Rolex need a “sub” company that will service but preserve vintage watches?

Hi all.

Once again - thank you for all your comments.
Been to this forum few times in the past, also done some reading shortly before posting. Decided to ask for help here, not elsewhere, because it looked like the most friendly place, full of experienced enthusiasts and hobbyists. No disappointment here, thanks!

When started this thread, I was hoping to receive some easy-to-follow advises on how to handle the service, what to do and what to avoid. And I got these (except for the "easy" part 😀), which I appreciate. But things got complicated. At some point I've mentioned that I found the watch can be anything between 3-20k, rather thinking about the lower range because of watch overall condition, as I perceived it. "It escalated quickly" though, and I got a feeling that this thing is far beyond me. 😉
All this value-related talk is distracting me from the watch itself. On the other hand I'm grateful you Guys pointed this matter, because now I'm more aware of what I'm dealing with, even though I'm still not sure what the actual value is.
But seeing this
BTW the money you get for it should be enough to get you a car.
Oh dear...
I've seen some similar watches (better condition, different dials, working movement) sold on auctions for INSANE prices. I honestly hope it's not that price point.
Carrying something very valuable is kind of a risk. But I believe selling it wouldn't be simple and risk-free either.

Watch spent last 60 years in a box. I guess few more weeks won't do any more harm to it, so I have plenty of time to make tough decisions. Unless I die from gamma radiation first.
Plan is like:
1. Get a nice strap, try to find orig Omega buckle, see how it wears, feel the rays on the wrist
2. Find trustworthy and vintage-Omega-experienced watchmaker and get done what needs to be done, properly
3. See how it wears again
4. Get back here

@MSNWatch
I don't know if I want/should sell it, but I'm curious why do you suggest to leave it "as is"? Things like crystal replacement and movement cleanup/fix need to be done anyway. So why not doing it? I would expect working watch to be more valuable than not working one. If done by right person, what can possibly go wrong?

By the way, I'd be happy to send the watch to @Archer, but AFAIK he lives in Canada. I'm in central/eastern Europe. Shipping it outside of EU (and back) comes with troubles like custom taxes, VAT tax and so on. Shipping the watch in general comes with a high risk (many times I've read about watches that didn't make their way to the final destination, being lost or stolen in transit). That's why I'm considering reputable watchmakers in Europe (sorry, I forgot to mention this before). Maybe - if possible - I'll try to arrange family holidays somewhere close so that I can deliver and pick up my watch personally. Otherwise, I have a lot of reading ahead to know all about secure watch shipment.

Whatever I do, I'll keep you updated. 😀

Once more - thanks for help!

I guess I need some cooldown period, take a deep breath, calm ... ... down and clear my mind. 😀
Edited:

Thumbs up for your thoughts. Maybe you can tell us in which country you are living and we can give you an advice for local watchmakers.

Nico

With a 'barn find' watch, replacing the crystal, servicing etc doesn't really increase the value at all as collectors (and it's collectors who will pay the big bucks) want to buy in unrestored condition.

It's my first post here, so just sayin' HI to everyone!

Few weeks ago I wouldn't expect myself to join because I had no Omega in my collection (if that's what you call 3 low end watches) and wasn't even close to getting one. Only having SMP300 on my wishlist for 40th b-day, but that's a long term plan.
Now things have changed as I've found family treasure. Although I believe I'm the only family member who thinks that way. I have seen it before like 20 yrs ago, but back then I didn't care about watches at all. So it was closed in a box and burried deep in the basement (or attic, maybe) and forgotten. That's, until I fall into mechanical watches and realised that "there was that nice watch somewhere". Took few years to find it.

IMG_2900.JPG

This watch belonged to my grandfather, WW2 soldier. He passed away long before I was born, so all the info I got comes from the family. He got the watch in England where his unit was moved in 1944/1945 from Switzerland or France. He had another, smaller Omega as an everyday watch (which I am going to ask about in another thread later), and I've been told this one here did not get much of a wrist-time.
No one was able to tell my anything about the maintenance or service. I'd think that it was not serviced (or even taken care of), but there are some things that makes me wonder if it's in all-original state.

I did some research and found that it looks quite like a cal. 33.3. But that's it. I can't even tell which reference it really is (thinking about getting extract of the archives from Omega). Some 2077-ish, possibly?

Let me list my questions/concerns. I'd be very happy if someone can help me with these.

1. The movement. Obviously not in a mint condition. Rust all around, damaged hairspring, maybe something else. I don't know how this could happen if watch has not ben worn for 60+ years. Anyway, it runs for few minutes, so at least some parts of the mechanism are working. But it can only be slightly winded, and I don't want to damage it. The thing is - I'd like to bring it back to life. Do you think it's possible without selling a kidney to get a funds? I don't think the crystal is a problem, but what about internals?
Do you think some renowed watchmaker can handle it or should I send it to Omega? I'm afraid they don't accept kidneys anyway.

IMG_2899.JPG

2. The dial. Not the most fancy I've seen in "33.3" range (I love the black or two-tone black grey ones), but not the ugliest either. Seen some vintage watches and I think it's not in the worst condition. Two things bother me - logo and hour markers/lume. First one, I find it uncommon that it's italic font. Makes me wonder if it's original? Markers/lume - they just look ugly. Is this how they should look after 80 years? Or the dial was relumed by an amateur? What should I do about it? Remove? Relume? Leave as is?

IMG_2903.JPG

3. Serial numbers. The one on caseback is 10 xxx xxx. On the movement - 9 xxx xxx. Looking through the internet, in most cases these numbers are closer. Something to worry about? Swapped caseback? Swapped movement?
Also, shouldn't there be something else engraved on the inside of the caseback?

IMG_2901.JPG

IMG_2902.JPG

4. Blue hands. I like them so much! Just wanted to state that.

5. Is the crown original?

6. What does second pusher (at 4) do? I was able to start/stop/reset with the first one.

7. Is it a nice watch? 😉

Thanks!

Iz

Congrats on an awesome find! 👍