Grandfathers Watch

Hi all,

hoping for a little help/advice. My grandfather passed away a few years ago and father saved his watch. From what I can tell it’s a Geneve however I’m not sure if it’s still got the original bracelet or if this was replaced.

Also a few links have been taken out as my grandfather lost quite a bit of weight due to his illness, unfortunately we never found these when we cleared his belongings.

this watch is pretty beat up and battered but I would love to try restore it somewhat so my dad could actually wear it but I have no idea where to start. It has great sentimental value and it was one of the few things my grandfather ever purchased for himself and wore it everyday of his life, pitches in 1978 and worn until 2014.

I have included a few pictures below if anyone could advise me what to do/where to start that would be great.

Thanks

Danny

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpg

Welcome - and what a beautiful idea. The bracelet might be correct for the watch, but if so it’d need other endlinks. Your dad can, however, also wear it on a leather strap which might solve the problem the easy way.

In terms of restoration, the question is what you’d want the final result to be. Would you dad be ok with the patina on the dial and the scratches on the case? After all, it’s the signs of decades on the wrist of your granddad. If that’s fine, give it to any watchmaker who can handle vintage watches. Ask for a full service of the movement and emphasize you don’t want any cosmetic work to be done. If you let us know where you are, I’m sure someone can recommend a suitable watchmaker.

The alternative would be to send it to Omega for a full restoration. You’ll get a watch back that looks like new: Dial, case, everything. Most people here would feel like this removes the character of the watch, but it’s up to you, of course. The downside is the cost: While the first option will set you back a few hundred $/€/£, the full Omega restoration will be a lot more expensive.

Hope this helps.

Like 2
That is a great idea, sending it to Omega i think is about $550 in usa, but will do everything. you have to see what are some service centers around you and get some information from them. The watch is a simple movement so it can be service by good watchmakers. the crown has seen better days. Omega would replace as part of service i think. best of luck

Like 1
That is a great idea, sending it to Omega i think is about $550 in usa, but will do everything. you have to see what are some service centers around you and get some information from them. The watch is a simple movement so it can be service by good watchmakers. the crown has seen better days. Omega would replace as part of service i think. best of luck

550$ won’t include restoration work/major replacement parts like the dial and case. I wouldn’t be surprised if the bill would be twice that amount.

Like 3
The Omega service price for a watch with mechanical movement is no longer $550. It went up to $700 since late last year.

Like 2
I bet it would cost 1-1.5k way more than watch is worth. I would vote for local watchmaker and I bet it cleans up just removing dirt etc and would truly feel like grandfathers watch

Like 2
the answer is obvious to me ... movement serviced, dial and case cleaning, light polishing, nice leather strap and here you go for another 50 years !

Like 1
If you provide your geographic location, folks here can suggest an Omega certified independent.

Like 2
Quoted member MtV
Welcome - and what a beautiful idea. The bracelet might be correct for the watch, but if so it’d need other endlinks. Your dad can, however, also wear it on a leather strap which might solve the problem the easy way.

In terms of restoration, the question is what you’d want the final result to be. Would you dad be ok with the patina on the dial and the scratches on the case? After all, it’s the signs of decades on the wrist of your granddad. If that’s fine, give it to any watchmaker who can handle vintage watches. Ask for a full service of the movement and emphasize you don’t want any cosmetic work to be done. If you let us know where you are, I’m sure someone can recommend a suitable watchmaker.

The alternative would be to send it to Omega for a full restoration. You’ll get a watch back that looks like new: Dial, case, everything. Most people here would feel like this removes the character of the watch, but it’s up to you, of course. The downside is the cost: While the first option will set you back a few hundred $/€/£, the full Omega restoration will be a lot more expensive.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for the reply and advice.
I am in Bradford West Yorkshire, any recommendations are more than welcome. I think my dad would quite like the idea of keeping the bumping and scratches.

One more thing, the crystal can be polished or even replaced and it will make a great deal of difference. Your local watchmaker can do that as part of the service.

Like 1
Oh another option on the 16906639012503980694727575167233.jpg 16906639358546635104282037440236.jpg bracelet is to add an extension like this. My watchmaker charged about 20 and made this unique bracelet usable.

Like 1
Swiss Time Services (STS)

Like 2
Thank you I will check this out. Really appreciate all the help and support.

If cost is no object, go to Swiss Time Services. They are authorised and have access to all parts. Cost will be £530 plus any parts.

If you want to keep costs slightly lower, try Mitka or WatchGuy. These will be about £200 plus parts as they aren’t authorised service centres but do great work.

You’ll need to post to both. I haven’t found a good watchmaker around here.

David (Yorks)

Like 4
If cost is no object, go to Swiss Time Services. They are authorised and have access to all parts. Cost will be £530 plus any parts.

If you want to keep costs slightly lower, try Mitka or WatchGuy. These will be about £200 plus parts as they aren’t authorised service centres but do great work.

You’ll need to post to both. I haven’t found a good watchmaker around here.

David (Yorks)

thanks David, would prefer to keep the cost down. I will check out the suggestions. Thanks