grandfather's watch. Insight needed please

I too found that that relaunch website. Presumably someone acquired the defunct name. On there they suggest the original Dennison concern closed in 1965 but many other sources state Feb 1967. I wonder was there some overlap though, I seem to recall seeing DS&S marked stuff earlier than that. Maybe some like the OP watch have a Dennison case and DS&S bracelet.

Excerpts from the essay on Desmond’s blog by Andrew Romaine.
A 1967 advert could refer to a Dennison watch or (just as likely) a Shackman watch

Shackman did produce gold watches for Omega earlier than 67.
Edited:

Beautiful watch and what a wonderful heirloom.

As others have said, it probably needs to be (and likely should be) serviced soon. DO NOT send it to Omega for a service, as they will replace many parts, and you'll get back a watch that doesn't have the same parts as the what your grandfather had on his wrist and also is less valuable than it is now. Find an independent watchmaker with a good reputation who has a history of servicing vintage Omega watches and take your watch to him/her. We can suggest names if you would like. If you can, I'd suggest splurging on the best watchmaker you can find. I've made the mistake in the past of not doing so and it was a costlier route in the long-run.

I'd also suggest keeping it away from water and also very cold/foggy weather right now. Some old watches have pitting in their cases that makes its easier for moisture to get in, especially when there are dramatic changes in temperature like you have when you go from inside a warm house to cold temperatures outside. Wait until after you have your watch serviced to do this.

Good luck!

Hi everyone sorry for delay. Busy Christmas. Thanks for all the advice I will ask Simon freese about service etc. I have attached some more photos. Looks like strap is omega.

The watch is in fantastic condition, be very firm about saying absolutely no polishing. Many watchmakers will automatically think you would like scratches removed, but you really want to preserve the sharp original edges on the case.

From those recent photos, it does seem as if the bracelet if soldered to the case, so you are lucky that it fits your wrist.

Pretty sure those are demountable end links on what is probably an uncommon Swiss Milanese gold bracelet.

Here is what the rear view of a fixed bracelet looks like (English DS&S bracelet and case from OF sales forum)

Pretty sure those are demountable end links on what is probably an uncommon Swiss Milanese gold bracelet.

Here is what the rear view of a fixed bracelet looks like (English DS&S bracelet and case from OF sales forum)

That's a good observation. Now that I look more closely, I can see that the gold tabs going behind the lugs may not be soldered to the case. However, it's not immediately clear how to access the spring-bars, which is what I initially noticed. I haven't handled one of these in person. 😕

What a beautiful thing.

Re the bracelet, it seems the Endlinks have hallmarks/stamps for gold. If this is the case it would further suggest they are separate to the bracelet and can be removed.

OP can you confirm?

Tabs appear to hold the bracelet firmly in place so the case side curve doesn’t lift and create an opening.

only way I can see to remove based on images is cut a small D section out of one end to access the spring bar. Hope it’s not a shoulder less model

amendment:

looks like an opening in front of the band. Can just make it out
Edited:

Tabs appear to hold the bracelet firmly in place so the case side curve doesn’t lift and create an opening.

only way I can see to remove based on images is cut a small D section out of one end to access the spring bar. Hope it’s not a shoulder less model

I think there is a small access point already cut into the end links.
The link from @size11s

The OPs bracelet

I think there is a small access point

The OPs bracelet

Daunting, to think of me compressing the springbar through that solid gold hole when I struggle to stab my foot through the leg hole of my underwear!

Daunting, to think of me compressing the springbar through that solid gold hole when I struggle to stab my foot through the leg hole of my underwear!

I just spat my beer out.

😁

Beautiful piece, that’s all I gotta say.

p.s If you ever need to get it service, please choose your watchmaker wisely so they won’t messed up the hands, dial, etc.

What a gorgeous watch in an outstanding original condition for its age. Keep it forever.

Regarding access to the spring bars, looking for examples of similar bracelets on the web, IMHO, the gold is soft so it seems that once the bracelet was placed the watchmaker was able to press the end links with tweezers to close access to the spring bars as much as possible (and also depending of the spring bars diameter). To access them again, you would simply have to lift that lip a little and a sufficient gap would be created to access them:

In this you can see the same type of oxide from the spring bars as the OP´s watch:

Cheers.

Beautiful

Give up collecting now. With this watch you reached grail status first time.

It’s only down hill from here….😉

Wowwww ! Amazing watch ! Congrats for this heirloom ! Definitely a stunning Xmas !

A proper movement service, and a cristal polishing is all what is needed : you may then see if it is sufficient or if the cristal needs to be changed. And no case polishing at all ! Leave it as it is !