Forums Latest Members

Grand Seiko and battery leakage

1. Yehoshua May 6, 2021

Hi. I'm considering an expensive Grand Seiko f9 watch, but I have this concern that perhaps eventually, the silver oxide battery may leak and then I'd have a potentially destroyed watch. Do these things happen?

2. JimInOz "Helpful Hints from Heloise" of bracelet cleaning. May 6, 2021

You should not be concerned.

However! I would recommend only using a SEIKO or SEIZAIKEN (Seiko Instruments) SR920SW batteries. Not other "generic" brands and not Renata.

I only use these for my watches and I've never seen one of these leak, but have seen Renata and some other lesser known brands leaking.

Your battery will last for its usable charge period and should be replaced with a new battery, preferably a freshly manufactured one.

I think (I read somewhere) that batteries tend to leak mostly after they have gone flat.

If the watch is not going to be used for an extended period, you should remove the battery.

Yehoshua likes this.
  3. blueteg May 10, 2021

Grreeat....I just did my first DIY battery swap on one of my quartz watches (a TAG Heuer) and used a Renata (#730). ::facepalm2::

In case anyone is curious, here is a handy dandy cross reference guide from Seiko:

Seiko watch chart (low drain).png Seiko watch chart (high drain).png
  4. bradurani May 10, 2021

I used to restore a lot of vintage digital watches. I bought a lot of "untested" ones on eBay and was therefore opening up watches that had old batteries sitting in them for decades quite often. I found a lot of leaked batteries, but they were all alkaline batteries. I never found a leaked silver oxide battery, even though I removed many that were probably 20 years old.

Ralvari, Stripey and Yehoshua like this.
  5. Yehoshua May 10, 2021

That's very interesting information first hand.
    And the Grand Seiko battery isn't alkaline, but rather silver oxide? (I thought both types were similar while lithium is something else).

6. bradurani May 10, 2021

Yes. Any battery number that starts with "SR..." is silver oxide. I don't think any new watches are sold with alkaline batteries. If so, they must be really cheap crap.

7. S.H. May 26, 2021

Maxcell and Energizer (usually Japan and US made) have a good track record. Renata are leaky indeed, for some reason. They must have gaskets made of Swiss cheese?

Yehoshua likes this.