GQ article - Why True Watch Heads Never Set the Time on Their Watches

What is GQ ? Giving Life style advice to uninteresting people ? We are Miles ahead ....

What is GQ ? Giving Life style advice to uninteresting people ? We are Miles ahead ....

Substitute "unnecessary" for "uninteresting" and your answer to your own question remains valid.

What a load of guff!
The guy’s a complete tosser!

I bought the occasional GQ in the late 80s, 90s and I still have an issue with Paul Newman on the cover circa 2007 or so.

I suspect that my fashion sense has not evolved… because I feel they should change their name to CQ because they seem to feature clothing and fashion suitable for clowns.

And the magazine looks and feels like a weekly flyer that comes in as junk mail.

I’m pretty OCD about setting my watches. I need it set dead on to the second with the atomic clock when setting and the minute hand needs to line up as close to perfect as I can get it on the minute. My Speedmaster runs just under +2 a day and I can let it get maybe 20 seconds fast before I have to zero it again. I would never wear a watch that wasn’t set.

I did however recently learn about the hardships of a non-quickset date. I can tolerate the incorrect date in such cases or wait until the correct date to wear it.

I do agree with the point that they are objects of beauty and basically jewelry. How many times a day do you stare at your watch with no regard for the time? Or post wrist shots and peruse the WRUW thread? Most times I look at my watch I’m just ogling. Regardless, it would bother me if it wasn’t set properly.

Only GQ would think that this is a serious phenomenon worth unpacking in an article.

They must be hard up for content.

I bought the occasional GQ in the late 80s, 90s and I still have an issue with Paul Newman on the cover circa 2007 or so.

I suspect that my fashion sense has not evolved… because I feel they should change their name to CQ because they seem to feature clothing and fashion suitable for clowns.

And the magazine looks and feels like a weekly flyer that comes in as junk mail.

I live tropical and wear Shorts, T-shirts and Thongs (flip flops for the US - Jandels for the NZ folks)
Never had that much inspection for me. And with a months alcohol budget for a jacket 🤨

They must be hard up for content.

I suspect it's actually more sinister than that.
It may well be signalling a real thing as we've seen random elements of the phenomenon for a number of years now so it may be gaining some momentum among "watch heads".

If it is gaining momentum, it's an indictment on every level and symptomatic of what my Brother in law and I have concluded as being some sort of post pandemic madness that's sweeping the globe on every level.
There are dark forces at work.

I can't even stand to read the article.
But this is coming from the guy who has to set his digital oven clock to the SECOND, of his iPhone switching from one minute to another.
It also drives me nuts when I see people wearing a dead quartz watch. Like, why?
Not to be a douche but it is not even a nice piece of jewelry at this point, guy (mostly guys).
Or my brother in law that forgets to set his Breitling come Monday after not wearing it for the weekend.
He'll walk into my office at 3:27 PM and ask me: "What time is it?" with watch in hand...
You only JUST NOW figured out it was wrong??? C'mon....

I can't imagine having the time not set and someone asking you the time (I don't think I have been asked for the time in the last 10 years, but still)
This is an interesting point. I can’t remember when I was last asked for the time. But I definitely have been in my lifetime when someone noticed I was wearing a watch. Now with cell phones asking a stranger for the time is a thing of the past.

I think Andy Warhol has been dead for decades. So I doubt he cares much what time it is. Or if his watch is correct.

Went to an estate sale today. They had at least 6 organs and several Jukeboxes. The guy was a hoarder and into creepy stuff. There was a coffin in the driveway with a life sized phantom of the opera doll in it. Also seemed too have an obsession with Indiana Jones and snakes.

After looking at the organs (toaster electronic) Worth as much as it would take to haul them to the dump, I asked about watches.

No watches or baseball cards have yet to be found was the reply.

This is an interesting point. I can’t remember when I was last asked for the time. But I definitely have been in my lifetime when someone noticed I was wearing a watch. Now with cell phones asking a stranger for the time is a thing of the past.

Imagine how one would look and the utter embarassement at not being able to answer the question.
"Wearing the gear with no idea" comes to mind.

We're clearly not young or cool enough to fully appreciate the modern ways.

Only Rolex bros with more money than brains do shit like this, not actual watch people. we set the time, set the date (or wait to wear it before it gets close), and enjoy the mechanical goodness ticking away in the horological universe.

Cartier is jewelry, you can’t set the time on jewelry::stirthepot::.

Yeah, I stopped reading after I saw Cartier. 🙄