Forums Latest Members

Got this incoming my first Borgel case trench watch

1. river rat Jan 1, 2023

Just got this off eBay should get it this week some time. It has a Borgel case was an early waterproof design. This has a lot of WW1 history with it another reason I got it. I almost had a dry year first watch I bought in 2022 last day of the year I thought it was going to be the first year I bought no watches.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Mr. Frederick Cooper wearing this watch during WW1.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The most info I ever got from a veteran owned watch. It opens up sort of like a swing out pocket watch case it's a front loader you pull the crown and twist the bezel ring and the movement screws out also a pin set movement you push the button on side of case then set time with crown. Looks in great shape.

2. river rat Jan 3, 2023

Found a few photos online of small boats being used in the Gallipoli campaign Frederick Cooper the veteran this watch once belong to was a coxswain on motorboats in that campaign. I own a lot of military issued watches but know nothing of were the watch was used in history or can put a name of the veteran who wore it. But this one I can a plus to me this one worth more in a way than some I paid more for in the collection.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edited Jan 3, 2023
  3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 3, 2023

This is incredible. The watch is in amazing condition too. Congrats on a great catch. Just remember that these have no anti shock, so wear gently.

4. river rat Jan 5, 2023

Received it today. This has a borgel case a front loader. You pull the crown then unscrew the bezel ring anticlockwise. Has a T silver date mark of 1914 has an unmarked movement. Has a diary I will have to read and a few things from his military service kind of cool.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Will get it serviced next and see if my watchmaker has a period correct beveled glass crystal for it. Has a plastic one now.

5. mehqwatches Jan 5, 2023

Wow, congratulations on this, it’s amazing

6. river rat Jan 22, 2023

Just had my watchmaker go through the watch it was service before I bought it but was not running right the balance wheel was sticking and started to run fast. So had my watchmaker check it out it was serviced he said but got heavily magnetized. he said after he demagnetized it it ran great and did not need a service. Saved me some money. Here a few things from his diary.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    In the diary said the HMS Monitor 23 towed their boats to the Struma River that's in Grece below a photo of that Monitor.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Group photo of his motorboat squadron Grove Park London 1915.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    His military driver's license and driver handbook. Cool to wear history on your wrist. The Company on the dial still in Business today.

Larry S likes this.
  7. Guy0783 Jan 24, 2023

Fixed for you!

Awesome watch.