Forums Latest Members

Got my Speedmaster back from service, curious on a few things.

1. BradleyJ. Nov 11, 2020

Just got my Speedmaster back from service after a plunger stopped working. When I sent it in via an AD they said it needs a full service because Omega won't just fix the plunger. I was fine with that (also im not complaining in this question, rather just curious) When I sent it in they marked the paperwork with "do not polish or refinish watch" per my instructions. I was afraid of rounded corners I guess, other than that the watch isn't a collectors item of historic value haha. Hell its only 2 years old. Well it came back working like brand new but they definitely refinished the case sides at a minimum. Maybe just brushed them. There were fine scratches that didn't bother me but other than that there was no other dings or scratches on the case. The edges are still sharp so I doubt it got polished. With that said is it odd that they would do this when the paperwork specified not to refinish anything? The bracelet on the other hand was definitely refinished. The clasp especially had tons of scratches on it but the whole bracelet came back looking brand new. Not a single hair scratch on the polished sides either which it definitely had prior to going in. Oddly though, one screw on the bracelet which I definitely marred up sizing it to my wrist is still there marred up. I thought a full service exchanged any removable pins but I could be wrong.

Now my main question, would I receive the original bezel back if they swapped it out for a new one? I was under the impression I would receive my watch back looking as I sent it to them but with a working plunger and a serviced movement. I got the watch back with a baggy containing the original hesalite, crown, both plungers, barrel and some springs which I assume went with the plungers but no bezel. There's no mention of the bezel being changed but it definitely had a ding on the outer rim at about 1 o'clock and it doesn't now. I wouldn't call it a ding but rather a flat spot or a flaw because it was there from day one and now its gone haha.

So my questions are.

1: Is it weird to have a bezel replaced and not receive the original? (not that its any good to me but I got the other parts back)

2: Is it common to have "some" refinishing even though I stated dont refinish anything?

3: Should the pins in the bracelet have been exchanged with a service? (if they should be then maybe they were but its odd to me they would reuse the set screw which I admit I marred trying to remove myself)

20201111_082658.jpg
  2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 11, 2020

My answers assume you paid for this service, so if you didn't and this was done under warranty, then my answers would be slightly different...

The bezel would not have been included in the regular service price, so unless you paid extra, they likely didn't replace the bezel. Is it possible that they touched up the bezel when they touched up the case? Hard to say without being able to see what the damaged spot looked like.

I wouldn't say it's "common" but considering the number of people who will handle the watch when it goes to a service center, it doesn't surprise me that instructions don't always get followed.

It is surprising that they didn't replace the damaged screw. I would expect them to replace the screw certainly.

Cheers, Al

BradleyJ. likes this.
  3. BradleyJ. Nov 11, 2020

I did pay for this service. I was not charged extra for the bezel and there is no mention of it being swapped out. I dont even have a picture of it before going in but I like I described it was a flat spot (and this is hard to explain) Since it was already a flat spot I can't see them polishing it out or the spot would still look "not symmetrical" (if that makes sense) I can see polishing a ding away to make it less noticeable but this is straight up flawless and a perfect machined edge. I never thought to take a picture of it beforehand because I stated no polishing so I wasn't expecting this to be corrected. I'm 100 percent certain it's a new bezel haha.

as for your other 2 responses I guess I agree with you. I'm actually happy with how it looks which is brand new and I wish they swapped the screw out but I only have myself to blame for that haha. All the other damn screws came out without fighting me..........

4. BradleyJ. Nov 11, 2020

thinking it over I guess they could have used a lathe to file that outer rim and get rid of the flat spot then protect the insert and buff it back to shiny. That would give it a nice machined/factory looking edge. Other than that I can't see how they got rid of it without just swapping the bezel.