Good deal on Wittnauer Chrono 3256?

I could be wrong, but the case looks polished to me, but it's not too bad. What do you think about the condition for around $500? Thanks in advance.
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l1600.jpg

For $500 it should be a no-brainer.

Whoooo, no question!

EDIT: OK, that could be read two ways. To make it clear, if you get it @rendo then I claim dibs. It's a very nice piece! 500 Cowrie Shells -- yesssss!
Edited:

I don't know much about that watch, but I do know what I like...and I'd drop 500 clams on that all day long! I like! I've found Wittnauer makes quality pieces.

Venus 188, I believe.
That's correct according to the description of the item and what I was able to find online.

I ended up getting it, thanks everyone for making it easier to hit the buy button.

Haha close one OP. I was chatting with the seller yesterday. He said he would go to $450. I was holding out for $375 😁. Almost accepted the offer. Love the peice but holding out for a 7004.

Give her wrist time pls, don't flip! Jk, do what you want. But don't! Seriously, jk. But seriously :whipped:

500 is a steel. Dibs for that 500... 😁

I had a non-runner identical to it and sold it to a hardened NYC watch DEALER for $650.

I had a non-runner identical to it and sold it to a hardened NYC watch DEALER for $650.
Next time you can sell it to me!

Haha close one OP. I was chatting with the seller yesterday. He said he would go to $450. I was holding out for $375 😁. Almost accepted the offer. Love the peice but holding out for a 7004.

Give her wrist time pls, don't flip! Jk, do what you want. But don't! Seriously, jk. But seriously :whipped:

This will be my first vintage chrono, so I have no immediate plans to sell anytime soon.

There seems to be a small group of us here outbidding each other on eBay constantly. I wonder if there is a better way to do this and save some money, but probably not.

I wonder if there is a better way to do this

You might try paying right away when you find a great deal? You came close to losing this one.

This will be my first vintage chrono, so I have no immediate plans to sell anytime soon.

There seems to be a small group of us here outbidding each other on eBay constantly. I wonder if there is a better way to do this and save some money, but probably not.
What @janice&fred said. This one would have been gone if I wasn't holding out. Imagine others who have deeper pockets. Fun fact; the watch you bought actually sold via an auction last week and the bidder didn't pay. The seller said he didn't want to go through that again!

You might try paying right away when you find a great deal? You came close to losing this one.
You are right. It took me a while to make up my mind, and I have missed similar deals for that same reason. At least this one would have stayed in the OF family. I have been buying a lot lately, watches and watchmaking tools also, and it's not even the holiday season.

What @janice&fred said. This one would have been gone if I wasn't holding out. Imagine others who have deeper pockets. Fun fact; the watch you bought actually sold via an auction last week and the bidder didn't pay. The seller said he didn't want to go through that again!
I saw that when I searched for similar sold watches, and the winning bid was around $450 or so.

Venus 188, I believe.
The movement that refuses to die. From 1948 it successively became the Valjoux 7730 and derivatives, then was developed into the Valjoux 7750 and then the still very much in production ETA 7750 series.