GMT omega or rolex

hello fellows,

i need and advice on a watch...on THE watch! 😀
i’m 30 y.o., not a collector, and, despite i love watches, i feel more a One Watch Man. (also love the idea of having one watch for a lifetime that like a time capsule will live always with me) here a great article about that: http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/opinion-being-one-watch-guy

so i’m going to buy my first “good” watch and most probably my lifetime lasting watch.
for that i would like something with below characteristic:
- recognizable and historic brand
- gmt function - since i travel a lot, both for my job and for my passion (with dress and tie in first case, backpacker in the second)
- main configuration "steel on steel" (durable and comfortable, since i want to wear it all the time: climbing, playing beach volley or even sleeping) better if good also on rubber.
- with that feeling that is sporty on a dress and classy on jeans.
- possibly something that i will pass to a grandson

and i have in mind 2/3 watches (i tried both on my wrist) that to me score almost the same, Omega Seamaster PO GMT (in black) and Rolex Explorer II (in white)
(the third would be a Rolex GMT Master II - but 40mm is a bit too small for my wrist)
my main concern about rolex is that i see rolex everywhere around me (i’m a manager of a big multinational) and i don’t feel it like “my special watch”. at the same time Rolex has a brand that is just great in many cases, but it also is the brand that means "i have money, then i buy a rolex" even with no clue of what i'm buying.. and that is why a i would prefer omega instead of rolex.
(on top, for the GMT Master i would prefer the pepsi bezel that would mean buy a used one, not ceramic bezel, etc..)

my main concern about Omega PO GMT is the thickness in everyday wear (even if i’m a pretty big man), is there anyone who can tell me it is not an issue?
i really want it to live with me "all day and all of the night" (as the Kinks said 😀 )

my girlfriend (who wear a Rolex datejust since she turned 18) would suggest to me the Omega. (she thinks it is more my style a bit more "unique")
do you think both watches value the same for my case?
which one would you suggest?

thank you in advance!!
PS budget below 7k..

Both are excellent watches, the Omega PO GMT has a rotating bezel though while the Explorer II does not, which if your traveling is very handy. Aside from that the PO has a much more modern and technically sophisticated movement and a bigger case. The other thing is do you like the date magnifier.

For me the thickness of the PO is a big issue - my wrists are not too small (7 1/4 inches) and yet it looks ridiculous on my arm.

With these requirements..

gmt function; main configuration "steel on steel";sporty on a dress and classy on jeans...

..have you considered the Aqua Terra? It's far more dressy than the PO and looks smart but not too smart with jeans.

Both are excellent watches, the Omega PO GMT has a rotating bezel though while the Explorer II does not, which if your traveling is very handy. Aside from that the PO has a much more modern and technically sophisticated movement and a bigger case. The other thing is do you like the date magnifier.

date magnifier is not a big deal fro my point of view.. have it or not it's the same.
instead i DO LIKE the HEV.. 😀

do you have a PO, is the thickness an issue in everyday use? that is my biggest point..
for the rest Omega is in front of the race... 😉

For me the thickness of the PO is a big issue - my wrists are not too small (7 1/4 inches) and yet it looks ridiculous on my arm.

With these requirements..

gmt function; main configuration "steel on steel";sporty on a dress and classy on jeans...

..have you considered the Aqua Terra? It's far more dressy than the PO and looks smart but not too smart with jeans.

it is beautiful indeed! but for one watch i need something a bit more sporty..

If you compare to Explorer II, I would say Omega PO GMT. Caliber 8605 is truly great movement with longer power reserve (60 hr vs 48 hr). The design is modern-classic. You should also consider the Good Planet Edition (http://www.omegawatches.com/collect...ntation/seamaster-planet-ocean-goodplanet-gmt) . I really like the subtle orange over blue color theme. It also have deeper water resistance rating (600m vs 100m, in case you have the urge to dive).
I can not comment on thickness since my PO is the non GMT version. Here are few pictures from other forum site to check how it wear in daily situation:
pogmtwrist04.jpg

pogmtwrist05.jpg

pogmtwrist06.jpg

.....and the sapphire crystal case back is also cool, showing nicely finished two mainspring barrel Caliber 8605 in working:
omega_image.3399648.jpg

It is a very impressive movement the Calibre 8605

Hmmmm, the battle of the useless annoying features: HEV versus Cyclops, otherwise known as Fart Valve vs wart.

I would suggest you modify you "one watch" stance, only slightly. If you have only one watch over time it will get banged up no matter how careful you are. Most of us here have several watches for various duties, so it is not an issue for us. I am not suggesting that for you. However, I am suggesting that you consider two watches, a sporty all purpose rough and tumble one and a second, little dressier, but still versatile, like the Aqua Terra or perhaps an IWC or Jaeger LeCoultre. This would be your work and dress watch. The Omega GMT would be travel and adventures. I am sure others would have more ideas. Just something to consider.

Hmmmm, the battle of the useless annoying features: HEV versus Cyclops, otherwise known as Fart Valve vs wart.

^ Dennis doesn't believe in large sports watches, he's more the Piaget ultrathin / Constellation Deluxe / Quartz Reverso type guy 🙄

I would suggest you modify you "one watch" stance, only slightly. If you have only one watch over time it will get banged up no matter how careful you are. Most of us here have several watches for various duties, so it is not an issue for us. I am not suggesting that for you. However, I am suggesting that you consider two watches, a sporty all purpose rough and tumble one and a second, little dressier, but still versatile, like the Aqua Terra or perhaps an IWC or Jaeger LeCoultre. This would be your work and dress watch. The Omega GMT would be travel and adventures. I am sure others would have more ideas. Just something to consider.

Let him buy the first watch, then afterwards you worry about talking him into the second, third, fourth etc. They all come here for one watch 😉

Let him buy the first watch, then afterwards you worry about talking him into the second, third, fourth etc. They all come here for one watch 😉

How very true. The first watch is like the opening gate. Not closing wall.

uh, I think he can hear you 😬

What ever you buy, you have to promise to come back and show us pictures of it 👍

If you're prepared to go "pre-loved" the old Seamaster 300 GMT's are excellent for what you are looking for and nowhere near as thick as the current Seamasters.

Have a google on Omega 2534 and on Omega Great White. They are about 40mm and look very balanced on the wrist (mine are 7.5 in), both are pretty indestructible, have classic design and are chonometer rated. They are also available for under $2k & will give you a budget for that 2nd watch 😉 .

Doesn't matter.. right now he'll still be in denial... Huh.. what are those idiots on.. no way would I ever need more than one watch!

uh, I think he can hear you 😬

Have a google on Omega 2534 and on Omega Great White. They are about 40mm and look very balanced on the wrist (mine are 7.5 in), both are pretty indestructible, have classic design and are chonometer rated. They are also available for under $2k & will give you a budget for that 2nd watch 😉 .

Wanna know the best part of a Great White? NO FART VALVE!!!!! 🤩 ::psy::

ps - I think they're 41 mm.

Joisy gentlemen are so refined. 🙄

It's also a damn fine looking watch.