Forums Latest Members

Getting fancy - Modern dress watch recommendations?

1. cgaites Dec 12, 2021

Hello fellow forum goers,

I'm in the market to add a new, modern dress watch to my collection. This is a new portion of the watch world for me, and I'm just beginning my search. So, turning to the forum's collective wisdom in order to get ideas of what to check out in person.

Long story short, over the past 2 years or so I accomplished a couple of significant milestone in my career. Don't want to bore you with the details. However, thanks to this success, and because Covid restrictions have rapidly loosened in my part of the world, I now find myself attending formal in-person corporate events on a quarterly basis (I'm vaxx-ed, boosted, and also recovered from Covid a while ago so am OK with this). As such I am looking to get myself a nice new dress watch, both as a celebration and to fit in at these events.

I already have two vintage Omegas in my collection - a late-40's Seamaster and mid-60's Constellation - that have been serving as my dress watches for years. While these certainly fit the bill style-wise, I would like something more modern and fancy this time around. For reference, at the last of these events I attended there was a gentlemen wearing a Lange 1, and another wearing a VC Historiques. I'm still nowhere near in a position to look in that price range, but am hoping to find something that speaks to me in the $7K-10K range which won't look out of place in such company. This will be a one time super-splurge for me, so would have to sell pieces I already have to stretch the budget any higher.

On my radar so far are:
    - Jaeger-LeCoutre Master Ultra Thin Moon Phase
    - Jaeger-LeCoutre Reverso Tribute Duoface (blue dial)
    - Zenith Elite Moon Phase (grey dial)
    - A Lange & Sohn Saxonia (this one would definitely be pre-owned, the 37mm version, and would probably involve lightening the watch box by a couple of pieces to afford)

I have super thin wrists, and tend to prefer watches in the 34mm to 40mm range. Any opinions on the four above, or any others anyone else would suggest looking into?

Thanks!

2. TDBK Dec 12, 2021

Glashütte Original? Maybe a Panomaticlunar?

3. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Dec 12, 2021

That JLC Master Ultra would be a great choice.

4. RI Omega Fan Dec 12, 2021

Congratulations on your hard-earned success! Now show those pompous schmucks how savvy, cool, and confident you are ~
    upload_2021-12-12_17-12-52.jpeg

Waltesefalcon, DaveK and Foo2rama like this.
  5. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Dec 12, 2021

Probably not quite what you’re looking for but I also have skinny wrists and these are 35mm diameter (and far less expensive than your budget - you could buy one of each) and currently available.

DE2329C8-4F66-4C4B-AE99-D5B34B6380D8.jpeg 669218E6-04F8-4DB1-BA85-65A794F24E1D.jpeg

6. TimeODanaos Dec 12, 2021

Congrats on your career achievements! Great alternatives suggested above - but from your list, I'm team JLC. With that, you can mix with the VC, ALS crowd, feeling and looking both modest and smug. :thumbsup:

Edited Dec 28, 2021
    Tekashi_145.022, Larry S and Foo2rama like this.
  7. amcclell Dec 12, 2021

I vote for the JLC Reverso - a classic design.

Waltesefalcon, Eve, sonicosa and 2 others like this.
  8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 12, 2021

Value for money & classic designs that won’t go out of style…JLC.

Eve and Foo2rama like this.
  9. wagudc Dec 12, 2021

JLC duoface if it fits your budget is a no brainer for me.

sleepyastronaut likes this.
  10. sleepyastronaut Dec 12, 2021

IMHO, go with a Reverso.

Unless you're planning on making it your daily, don't go with the JLC moon phase, and here's why:

A Jaeger-LeCoultre moon phase is accurate to one day in 122 years. If you only wear it on special occasions, letting the watch run down, you're not availing yourself of the engineering that makes this arguably the best moon phase on the market. Additionally, you're then having to set the moon phase each time you take this out of the box, or maybe just leaving the moon unset. In any case, too special of a watch to only be worn on special occasions.

The Reverso you've called out is lovely, but if I were in the market for one, I would go for the Grande UltraThin Tribute to 1931:

Reverso_1931_01.jpg

Pic from https://www.bexsonn.com/jaeger-lecoultre-grande-reverso-ultra-thin-tribute-to-1931-hands-on/

DaveK, Tekashi_145.022, Eve and 2 others like this.
  11. chief3630 Dec 12, 2021

Someone suggested the Glashuette PML, and while it is gorgeous, it is a bit thick. The PanoReserve is a bit thinner. Keeping it Omega, the older Deville's I find pretty as well. From your list, AL&S.

6.5 inch wrist:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

also IWC Portofino

[​IMG]

Eve, YurRomeo1, vberch and 2 others like this.
  12. cgaites Dec 14, 2021

Hi everyone,

Thank you very much for your replies. Apologies for asking the question and then not participating more actively in the discussion. Work got unexpectedly busy and cut into my forum time :)

Really appreciate the suggestions. I had no idea how good looking the modern Longines Flagship is. A vintage one has been on my wishlist for a while, but I've never pulled the trigger due to the overlap of use case with my vintage Omegas. If genuine black dials aren't too hard to come by, that may just be the excuse I need. Right now though, I will admit I am looking for something a bit more snobby/pompous.

The GO Panoreserve with the grey dial is absolutely gorgeous, and - at least in pictures - looks like a steal for the level of dial and movement finishing. I've been watching reviews on Youtube and getting more obsessed. Just have to figure out how I could actually try one on as the nearest AD looks to be a couple of states away.

Made a quick visit to the AD while my wife was Christmas shopping this weekend and got try a blue dial JLC MUT Moon in person. Absolutely beautiful. The AD didn't have a white or black dial in stock, but I did get to try a white dial MUT Small Seconds. Liked the white dial, but want my splurge watch to be a bit more special. The AD said they would be getting in a black dial moonphase soon, so that is next on my list to try. Ran out of time, but next visit I'll also try on a few Reversos. For some reason they just looked a lot less compelling while sitting in the case next to the MUT Moon. Obviously, on the wrist could be a different story.

Thanks again all. I'll eventually post another update with some pictures.

RI Omega Fan and TimeODanaos like this.
  13. gbesq Dec 15, 2021

I own the JLC Master Ultra Thin Moon with the silver dial. It is an understated elegant design that will never go out of style and the build quality is outstanding. I highly recommend it.
    7D3BEF62-00F0-4BCC-9CD8-2775CF9E806E.jpeg 5D40B276-6E44-4E7A-BBDC-2EDC6AEBE1DC.jpeg EF87563E-C344-41FE-84F2-07BA36B26556.jpeg

DaveK, Waltesefalcon, Eve and 4 others like this.
  14. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Dec 15, 2021

Nupero and Eve like this.
  15. cgaites Dec 20, 2021

Hi again all,

A bit out of left field, but I saw the Grand Seiko SBGY007 at an AD over the weekend and now can't get it out of my head.

Link from the web with good photos:
    https://timeandtidewatches.com/hands-grand-seiko-sbgy007/

Anyone familiar with this piece? Any opinions good or bad - especially relative to my current front runner the JLC MUT Moonphase.

Thanks again

16. sleepyastronaut Dec 20, 2021

That's new and that's truly lovely

<3 GS <3

Pic from https://www.grand-seiko.com/us-en/collections/sbgy007g

SBGY007_3sp.jpg

Edited Dec 20, 2021
    Eve likes this.
  17. gbesq Dec 20, 2021

A
    The Seiko is a very nice watch, but not in JLC’s league IMO.

timoss likes this.
  18. sleepyastronaut Dec 20, 2021

Have you put one of those new spring drives in your hand? Movement finish is next level.

Pics from GS:

Grand-Seiko-SBGY007-omiwatari-5.jpg
    Grand-Seiko-SBGY007-omiwatari-8.jpg
    SBGY007G_bac.png

Eve and YurRomeo1 like this.
  19. gbesq Dec 20, 2021

Yes, I’ve seen them in person. As I said, it’s a very nice watch with interesting technology, but I don’t think that it competes at JLC’s level. JLC is no slouch when it comes to build quality and finishing. Here’s a photo of the pink gold rotor on my Master Ultra Thin moon.
    upload_2021-12-20_13-35-20.jpeg

sonicosa and sleepyastronaut like this.
  20. Boojumhunter Dec 20, 2021

Keeping it Omega, would this fit the bill? (The Orbis edition is also nice, with a slightly different sunray dark blue dial and light blue second hand; same price, but not sure of availability).
    [​IMG]

Waltesefalcon likes this.