Forums Latest Members

Gerald Genta and the Polarouter--First Hand Evidence

1. Adam2941 May 11, 2016

Has anyone ever seen any historical evidence to support the claim of polerouter.com that Gerald Genta designed the Polarouter? Everyone seems to cite that website as an unassailable factual source, but it provides no factual evidence. In Genta's interview with veryimportantwatches.com, he never mentions the Polarouter design, and in fact only mentions Universal Geneve once, in passing.

2. Adam2941 May 11, 2016

I don't see any mention of Gerald Genta on the Universal Geneve website either (universal.ch).

3. aap May 11, 2016

Edited May 11, 2016
  4. Adam2941 May 11, 2016

...and yet that article cites no evidence either. It simply says that Genta designed the Pola/Polerouter. Is there a document from the UG archives somewhere, or a signed drawing, or an interview somewhere?

5. Adam2941 May 18, 2016

I followed up on this thread by contacting Desmond Guilfoyle, author of the above-noted blog post from 2009 that mentions Gerald Genta as the designer of the Universal Geneve Polerouter (and Polarouter), which was released in 1954 (http://users.tpg.com.au/mondodec//Gerald_Genta_Designed_Omega_Constellations.pdf). Below is his response, confirming that Genta told him personally that he designed the Polerouter. Many thanks to Desmond for allowing me to quote his emails to me here.

May 12-13, 2016

“I didn't make it as clear as I should have in that essay, but the information on Gerald's early life including his associations with Universal were gleaned from the Gentas during our conversations. Just looking at my original notes, Gerald said one of his very first non-contractual design assignments was in the early 50s for Universal’s Polerouter (Polarouter) project. The money he got for it was a pittance. Sadly, he is not here any more to confirm.

Some years ago there were more reference sources, including, as I recall, a long article about Genta, but over time, and despite the claim that 'once on the web always on the web', they have disappeared. That said, In conversations I had with the Gentas prior to and after that article I wrote, Gerald stated with clarity that he designed the dial and hands, and the case style was chosen after reviewing quite a number of samples from case makers. The name as you know was part of the 'over the pole' promotions of the time.

Universal's website is a bit of a hotchpotch, and, of course, the brand was defunct before the brand name was purchased, so most of the early Universal records were scattered to the wind when the company failed in the late sixties or seventies as it languished for some time until a Chinese company bought the name in the eighties.

Regards
    Desmond”

6. aap May 18, 2016

Great initiative! At least now we know. Thanks.

Severin, Northernman and Adam2941 like this.
  7. Vitezi May 18, 2016

8. Adam2941 May 18, 2016

9. aap May 18, 2016

Adam2941 likes this.
  10. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 18, 2016

As usual, thanks @mondodec for your efforts

Adam2941 likes this.
  11. aap May 18, 2016

Now, to find out who designed the Polerouter Subs! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk