Forums Latest Members

OK, I'll bite -- who has got the Genta/Polerouter connection proof?>>

1. tomvox1 Nov 9, 2015

Obviously, it's thrown around a lot that Genta was responsible for the design of the original bombé lug Polerouter with two-part crosshair dial.
    So I'm curious as to the factual source of this information.
    And also: if Genta designed the Polerouter, what about the Tudor "Tuxedo" or "Bullseye"?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maybe he was working for a company that sold concepts to the watch companies as opposed to just a UG exclusive? Or maybe Tudor/Rolex just copied it outright?? ;)
    Thanks for any verifiable info or even enlightened opinions on this subject.
    Best,
    T.

aap and Optimizer13 like this.
  2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Nov 9, 2015

Edited Nov 9, 2015
  3. aap Nov 9, 2015

Great topic! I was just wondering about this myself. The Tudor "tuxedo" is of interest to Mad Men fans like myself, as it was worn by Roger Sterling in at least one episode.

4. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Nov 9, 2015

I can't add any facts to the Genta/Polerouter connection, but he was certainly a force in many watch design features, some directly attributable and dozens (if not hundreds) more that are not. Tudor, and many other watches of the day shared similar designs.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/polerouter-knock-off.27866/

image.jpeg

aap likes this.
  5. Dre Nov 10, 2015

Daymn! Dibs on the Tudor if it's yours!

6. tomvox1 Nov 10, 2015

Tudor is long gone, I'm afraid. ;)
    They are around, though!
    Best,
    T.

7. Selbo Nov 10, 2015

I love the look of the Tudor Tuxedo but keep in mind these guys are tiny. The diameter is only a smidge over 33mm. The Polerouters run a little larger.

8. tomvox1 Nov 10, 2015

Thanks, Lou, wonderful interview and in the recesses of my mind I think I had seen this before, possibly via Desmond's Omega blog. Sounds like Mr. Genta really had to hustle in the early days -- fair to ask just how many watches from that 50s-60s era have a bit of his DNA in them!

Here is another article I was looking for where Genta (or at least his wife) seems to definitively take credit for the Polerouter with the famous "designed at the age of 23!" story, as well as later UG designs from the 60s and also a lot of Omega's Constellation line of that era ("Grasshopper", C-shape) [also via Desmond/mondodec's superlative Constellation Collectors blog]:

http://users.tpg.com.au/mondodec//Gerald_Genta_Designed_Omega_Constellations.pdf
    Money quote for our purposes:
    Interestingly, that is a bit more assertive than the key quote in the Stikas interview (and you could substitute Universal for Omega in this context, I feel):

So does Genta himself really say he designed the Polerouter or the Connie per se? Not exactly. But does he say he designed certain specific elements for those models? Almost certainly yes. So... I think that's where it stands and unfortunately the late great genius is no longer here to clarify or elaborate. But you can be sure people will be attaching his name to certain vintage watches to give them that certain Genta sex appeal for years to come! ;)
    Thanks again to you, Lou, and to all who answered so far.
    All the best,
    Tom

LouS and Modest_Proposal like this.