Gasket lubricant or replacement -- optional?

Hello watchmakers.

How critical do you think it is to relubricate a gasket that was just put in (and lubricated) by a AD a couple of years ago? The situation is this: Just before COVID hit I had a Grand Seiko battery changed by a dealer. Since then I've been working from home and not wearing a watch. That has changed, and I will soon start a job that requires me to be in-office. The battery has died, and I can't stand the thought of paying $50+ for a battery change, when the battery itself is probably only $5. I can buy some battery tweezers and a ball and change it myself. I'm not so sure how good a job I'll be able to do on the gasket though, and am thinking of skipping this. Of course I won't be able to pressure test either.

Any thought?

No harm in re-lubricating the gasket. A watchmaker might use something watch-specific, but I'm guessing that generic silicone o-ring grease will be better than nothing. Apply with your fingers and remove the excess, you just need a thin film on the gasket.

Right. If it doesn't require being removed, then it's easy. I was concerned about my dexterity (or lack thereof) in trying to remove the gasket and get a new one properly in there.