Forums Latest Members

Dreffa Geneve Dive Watch - Rare Bezel or Replacement?

1. Jakku Mar 10, 2021

Hi guys!

So I got this one in the other day. Back was stuck on and crown was stuck out - the stem needed sanding, as did the pendant tube to accommodate the crown. Got it open with the superglue and socket technique, sorted out the crown/stem and cleaned the crystal a bit (just to get it looking fresh, it has a crack so needs a replacement). It runs well but date has some trouble changing.

Anyhoo, I was told by a few people they had the exact same watch but with white bezel. I have googled this model and only ever seen this white bezel. I am trying to work out if it is an aftermarket replacement or a rarer original bezel.

The reason I think it might be original, other than the quality bakelite, is that the arrow at the top is identical in colour to the lume (which appears correct with other models online, the messiness is the dial flaking, not the lume). The markings are also in keeping with the other style of bezel, the main difference is it is just yellow and black and the other is black, white, black white.

Has anyone got a good knowledge of this watch, old adverts or where to continue my search? Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Mar 10, 2021

No expert on the model, but I'd say that the lume on the dial is not original. The color, and sloppiness when compared with definitely original ones, are what lead me to the conclusion. Contrast it to how the lume was applied on this one:

https://imgur.com/r/Watchexchange/Zodg8X4

Also, I could easily imagine the damage to the finish of the dial around the lume plots to be evidence of someone having scraped off the original lume.

As for the bezel, I agree that white and black are typical, and they are also quartered, rather than halved. And as the lume is suspicious, my guess is that it may be a bezel from a different watch (and brand), that employed the same cases.

3. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Mar 10, 2021

I had this same model Dreffa for a while. Mine had a gun metal gray dial and dark blue and white bezel. There are many iterations of this watch from different makers. The bezel looks good to me. The lume, not so.

4. Jakku Mar 10, 2021

I was about to make a point for it not being a relume as it is largely very well done (the dial is damaged which is why it looks worse) but actually, on closer inspection I do agree it may be just a bit too untidy to be original, specifically the lume at 12 position. It is however a perfect match to other examples online (3 different ones below) and to the arrow on the bezel, which is why I initially thought it could be original. I do also agree it's possible the damage to the dial is indication of it being relumed, but likewise the ones below also show more subtle signs of wear around these points so perhaps it was a fault in manufacturing that they wear away at these points over time?

One thing about the bezel is the markings on it are the same as the white and black ones. I feel it would be quite difficult to find one with the same markings but different colours, also bakelite and same fitment. BUT it does seem unlikely it's the only one I can find online, so your suggestion of it being from another brand that used the same cases would be a reasonable explanation as to why :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edited Mar 10, 2021
    Tony C. likes this.
  5. Jakku Mar 10, 2021

Thanks! The lume is definitely not as bad as photos suggest, the dial damage makes it look A LOT worse. But it definitely is a bit untidy at the 12 position. Everywhere else it appears to be the dial damage that makes it appear worse (which you can only really tell when you move the watch in the light and it reflects).

6. bardamu Mar 11, 2021

I had the same for a while, it's a nice watch to wear, with a lot of character and wrist presence:

Dreffa3.jpg
  7. Jakku Mar 15, 2021

Very nice! Yeah definitely different to most of my collection. On the fence about whether to sell on or not, I envision it won't get much wrist time especially as I just got in an Avia Marino diver that I'd been trying to find a good deal on for a while!

8. Ron_W Mar 15, 2021

Nice color scheme on the bezel, that looks good to me.

Jakku likes this.