Frustrated X-33 Skywalker owner with questions

My X-33 Skywalker was purchased new from an OB in late 2022. The watch has been great and amazingly accurate but about a month ago, I noticed that the backlight stopped working - the watch was functioning fine otherwise. After reading online, it seems like this usually happens when the battery needs replacement. I thought, maybe the watch was sitting around for years before it ended up with me?

I took my watch to the local OB and the onsite tech decided to send it to Omega to check for a malfunction with the movement. If it were me, I’d replace the battery first to see if that restored the backlight. It’s now been nearly two weeks and I checked in for an update, they have no ETA on when I can expect it back.

I’m feeling frustrated and am wondering: for others who own the X-33, considering the battery needs to be replaced every couple of years, is this typically something the OB can handle or does it always require being sent back to Omega? That seems excessively high maintenance and expensive. I’m wondering if I made a mistake when buying this watch.

Thanks

The battery change is something a competent Omega Boutique technician (or any other qualified watchmaker) can do quite easily.
I've done my Gen1 a couple of times without any problems (other than sourcing the correct battery).
It's possible the on-site tech knows something we don't about the movement and needs to send it to a service centre.

Keep checking back with them and politely ask for a current sitrep and why was it sent away.

I've replaced my X-33 non-Skywalker battery and I'd say a careful, methodical approach is all that's needed. (Obviously the correct screwdriver for the caseback screws, a pair of tweezers to pick them up with and a steady hand!)

When you took the watch in to the OB you weren't offered any kind of explanation? There was no discussion to confirm your approval? It might still be worth the ask on the basis that the onsite tech is unlikely to be seeing an X-33 every day of the week so unless he's as old as me he should remember.

Back to the presenting problem as it were, a watch bought new in late 2022 shouldn't need a new battery six months later. Again, the time for this step has now passed but if the watch was new when you bought it in late 2022 isn't there a question of a warranty issue there?

It sounds like the shop just defaulted to a warranty approach and sent it back. It may take a while, but it will be as good as new when returned.

In other threads on this topic, experts (ie - Omega certified watchmakers) have explained that when Omega does a service on these, it includes evaluation of the module, using expensive equipment. They also routinely swap out the pushers and seals. The cost of an Omega servicing for a battery is 2 or 3 hundred dollars; whereas if you are moderately handy, you can swap the battery for a few dollars. You just have to pay close attention to reassembly (so as not to pinch the oring or lose a spring). The screws are also loctited in. So, make sure to use the proper screwdriver.
Edited:

The screws are also loctited in. So, make sure to use the proper screwdriver.

Not sure if it was on here or on WUS, but a while back someone snapped off screws in the case during a DIY battery change job, and the watch ended up needing a new case = $$$$ So exercise caution if anyone decides to do this themselves.

Thanks, everyone, for your replies. They have been extremely helpful. Fortunately it is covered under warranty.. and I’m not sure I’d ever trust myself to do the battery replacement myself, I have enough trouble dealing with the spring bars on my 145.022-69!!

I did ask the tech to first try replacing the battery to see if that would fix it. He didn’t mention anything about it being a common problem but expressed a concern that something else was potentially wrong. His response was along the lines of, “if it’s just the battery then you should get it back in about a week. Otherwise you’ll hear back soon on what’s required and how long it’ll take.” When I checked in for an update, I was told (by a sales associate), “we will notify you as soon as the timepiece arrives back…” (in other words, don’t call us, we’ll call you.)

I think my takeaway is, the next time it needs to have the battery replaced I’ll take it somewhere else. And maybe I’ll just avoid this particular OB in the future and deal with a reputable AD instead.

I can't speak for other territories, but in the UK for the last several years (at least since 2018), my x-33 has been sent back to the Swatch Group UK HQ for the battery service - despite at least two of the London boutiques having in-store watchmakers.

When I questioned this, I was told that it was now policy.

I wonder if, as in the example Archer mentioned above, in-store tech maybe wrote off a case, and they have decided to make the battery changes on X-33's service centre only?

I can't speak for other territories, but in the UK for the last several years (at least since 2018), my x-33 has been sent back to the Swatch Group UK HQ for the battery service - despite at least two of the London boutiques having in-store watchmakers.

When I questioned this, I was told that it was now policy.

I wonder if, as in the example Archer mentioned above, in-store tech maybe wrote off a case, and they have decided to make the battery changes on X-33's service centre only?

Good to know, as it’s about 3 years since mine was changed, so probably on borrowed time..

My old OB in San Antonio had a certified watchmaker that could replace batteries in the X-33. Anything more needed to be sent back to HQ for service. I just recently received mine (Gen 2) back after about 1.5 months. They replaced a lot of parts to include the hands. I asked for a complete service as I bought the watch from a private seller with unknown service history. It was running 1+ hours slow, so it needed to be serviced.

Good luck!

My old OB in San Antonio had a certified watchmaker that could replace batteries in the X-33. Anything more needed to be sent back to HQ for service. I just recently received mine (Gen 2) back after about 1.5 months. They replaced a lot of parts to include the hands. I asked for a complete service as I bought the watch from a private seller with unknown service history. It was running 1+ hours slow, so it needed to be serviced.

Good luck!

There's really no "service" in the traditional sense. If anything is wrong with the movement, it is replaced.

There's really no "service" in the traditional sense. If anything is wrong with the movement, it is replaced.
I am very well aware…thanks!

Interesting that Omega would send the parts back on a sketch of a Jordan 1. Potential collab? Moonshoes?!?

OP: My expectation is they sent the watch out for repair and there really is no info until you get it back. I would expect the same of any location that sends it in for warranty work, that's just how it goes. To me, it is not the sign of a poor shop, rather, poor comms. back from the Omega mothership.

Interesting that Omega would send the parts back on a sketch of a Jordan 1. Potential collab? Moonshoes?!?
Funny you mention the shoes. I was working on a Nike “Space Force Ones” design.

When my Skywalker came up for a battery change it was sent off too. It took several weeks. I live in Houston.

My indicator was the skipping second hand, I honestly never checked to see if the backlight worked or not.

Here is what Omega replaced in case you were curious.

plus the complete movement - which I have been told they recycle. 👍

Having had a couple of these bags of bits back - I do wonder if there’s mileage in them offering customers an option to agree those components are recycled too… I’m not sure how much use I have for baggies of worn out parts.

plus the complete movement - which I have been told they recycle. 👍

Having had a couple of these bags of bits back - I do wonder if there’s mileage in them offering customers an option to agree those components are recycled too… I’m not sure how much use I have for baggies of worn out parts.
Aren't there 2 services, one only pushers and so on for around €290 (pictured in the @Omega-Q ?) and second with a movement swap (if necessary) which costs around €600+?

Aren't there 2 services, one only pushers and so on for around €290 (pictured in the @Omega-Q ?) and second with a movement swap (if necessary) which costs around €600+?

I could be wrong but as I understand it:

battery service - seals, pushers, crown, battery, screws.

movement service - all the parts omega-q shows plus the complete movement.

I could be wrong but as I understand it:

battery service - seals, pushers, crown, battery, screws.

movement service - all the parts omega-q shows plus the complete movement.
Yes, that was my thought too, there's also a possibility to only have battery and seals replaced if you have it serviced locally ie. independent OSC or via an OB technician.

I think the battery service includes checking the movement on the highly complex, very expensive Omeag quartz movement tester. If they determine the movement is out of spec, the service becomes a movement service instead of a battery service.