Friday procrastination poll: Who wears a lumed vintage watch while cycling

Hi all

Apologies if this topic has been discussed before.

I once met up with fellow forum member for a beer and a chat and compare watches. He expressed surprise that I came by bicycle and wearing my Speedmaster 145.012. He said we would never ride a bike with a vintage watch with lume for concerns that the lume may fall off due to the shocks from the handlebar.

I started to get concerned and asked my watchmaker. He said while the likelihood of anything happening is very small, it cannot be completely ruled out. So even that remote risk made only wear non-lumed watches when riding a bike which is a shame as I like biking to work, so the sample of watches for rotations got significantly cut for working days.

I started asking other members and the answers ranged from: a) no I don't wear them while on a bicycle; b) yes I do, but I don't feel good about it and lift off my arm with the watch when I go over a bumper, to c) I wear any of my watch while cycling, no problem.

Interested in reading more opinions 😀

Happy Friday!

Never anymore...Timex. Posted a pick once with my GMT Master 2 on my wrist and some biker here said WTF? I have to agree. Beater watch.

Let me repeat: Never 😲😲😲

😁

The place where there will be least shocks is in the backpack…I know one of our members takes his off when cycling…

I'd be more worried that if I crashed my expensive watch would suffer as much road rash as I would. I'd stick with a beater or just use the bike computer.

Lumed watch, yes always... vintage watch, no but only because I don't own any.

I ride with my Speedmaster Professional 3861 on 90% of the time and the rest is either my '57 Trilogy Seamaster or Railmaster.

A lot of miles, 70% off-road in the desert -- the remainder on asphalt.

I'm in category `C', but then a lot of the time I'm on a vintage Moulton with full suspension.

P1010181ms.JPG

Vintage? No. I wore my 2254 while road cycling on countless occasions. I stopped that a few years ago; my 1990 Tag Heuer 1000 now gets the call for sporting pursuits. (33 years is, in my view, many years away from what I consider vintage).

Not B! Why increase the risk of a crash and more possible damage by going over bumps one handed!?!

If riding to work, the vintage watch sits in the backpack with the laptop.

If I'm wearing a watch while riding, it's not vintage and usually a G-Shock or some other beater. Same logic goes with golf, tennis, fencing, rock climbing, etc.

Ax throwing, billiards, darts...no problem, wear vintage without a worry!

I have two G-Shocks that I stealthed out and wear for bike riding. Not the most aerodynamic, but versatile. I actually just keep one of them attached on my handlebars.

Huh, never really thought about it and do it pretty regularly. But then again I ride a single gear cruiser with max speed around that of a jogger so maybe I’m okay. 🙄

Just wear your watch. A lumed speedmaster why riding a bike now. 🤦

If we are talking riding a bike in the city, wouldn’t even think of the watch or the lume…

I once wore a vintage watch cycling and afterwards noticed the crystal had fogged. I don't wear a watch anymore cycling, let alone vintage. The risk of falling is too high, let alone the constant jarring from riding on less than smooth surfaces. I can't imagine it's particularly well for the movement.

Amazing how many now vintage watches made it through all the careful use of previous generations to become, well, vintage watches eh?
WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam, farming, factory work, scuba diving, racing cars, piloting, breaking the sound barrier... more insignificant shit like being launched into & floating in space and walking on the moon.
🤦

Where are you riding where you are receiving that much shock or vibration from the handlebars? I commute on a road bike on pavement mostly and have never noticed anything "shock" large enough that I'd worry about lume falling off (assuming it wasn't already degraded and flaking).

But I also run tubeless (so lower pressure) and wider (32mm) tires than the old-school high-pressure tubed and narrow road bike tires.

Now, if you're riding an old-school mountain bike with no suspension, then yeah, there will be some significant vibrations and shocks!

Amazing how many now vintage watches made it through all the careful use of previous generations to become, well, vintage watches eh?
WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam, farming, factory work, scuba diving, racing cars, piloting, breaking the sound barrier... more insignificant shit like being launched into & floating in space and walking on the moon.
🤦
I wonder how many didn't make it compared to how many that did... 😗 AKA survivorship bias.

I wonder how many didn't make it compared to how many that did... 😗 AKA survivorship bias.

Well put the "wonder" in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other, and see where it gets ya.
That said, seems to me to be plenty out there from all the eras I referenced ~ except maybe WW1 and even then they are more abundant than Daytona's & Ed White's at MSRP.