Fri 23rd August - Major Forum Software Upgrade & Scheduled Downtime

On Friday 23rd of August we will be bringing the site down for several hours to both upgrade software and upgrade servers. We will be moving to a massively new version of our software which @Trev has been working on for around 2 years now (I helped with some PHP).

Among the new features are:

* Exponentially Better Search, which actually works and is useful
* Better Mobile Support
* Much Faster Performance
* New Emojis
* Better Navigation
* Countless other new features

During the downtime we will provide updates via:

The Omegaforums twitter account https://twitter.com/omegaforums?lang=en
The Omegaforums Instagram account https://www.instagram.com/omegaforums/

The site will look quite a bit different but should still feel very familiar and easy to navigate, we will have a bug report thread up for people to post any issues in after the upgrade
Edited:

Like 52
Can you do it while I'm asleep (23:30 to 09:00 AEST).

:D

Like 6
Can you do it while I'm asleep (23:30 to 09:00 AEST).

:D
We will probably start around 9am Aussie time as that’s when the site has its off-peak period and when Trev and I both have kids out of the house and some peace and quiet to work on this and concentrate on what we’re doing

Like 5
Off peak for whom? :rolleyes:

I wonder if TRF will see a spike of visitors during that time followed by a series of bans when people keep asking if they can wear their Daytona in the pool.

Like 7
Can't wait to use the new site!

For several hours, there will be a global outage of free watch appraisal services on grandfathers' watches found in a drawer. I don't mean to rush you, but I hope the update doesn't take too long. New members don't have much patience but they have high expectations. We wouldn't want to disappoint.

Like 7
Can't wait to use the new site!

For several hours, there will be a global outage of free watch appraisal services on grandfathers' watches found in a drawer. I don't mean to rush you, but I hope the update doesn't take too long. New members don't have much patience but they have high expectations. We wouldn't want to disappoint.
They can go to Watch U Seek and be told their grandfather’s watch doesn’t have enough wrist presence, that they can buy a microbrand for $80 that’s just as good and that all watches look better on a NATO strap.

Like 7
We will probably start around 9am Aussie time
So that would be Thursday (tomorrow) starting at 4pm in the American West and 7pm in the East?
gatorcpa

Like 1
So that would be Thursday (tomorrow) starting at 4pm in the American West and 7pm in the East?
gatorcpa
Correct yep and around midnight for our European friends. OF is mostly used during work hours by members so in each Timezone 9am until 5pm are the most popular times for that region.

We have been a drain on office productivity since 2011.

Like 18
Just got used to this place as it is, I can now look forward to not being able to find anything as it isn't going to be where and how it was ::stirthepot:::D

Just got used to this place as it is, I can now look forward to not being able to find anything as it isn't going to be where and how it was ::stirthepot:::D
Na you’ll be fine mate and the search improvement will make it all worth it alone.

Not only does the new search finally work for 3 character terms like calibre numbers and give good results but it also works for your own private messages too so if you’re trying to find a discussion you head via PM with someone in the past you’ll be able to locate it.

Like 15
Waiting patiently for OF's AI chat bot for watch appraisals.
Hey you guys certainly have the training data. ;)

Like 1
Will the new upgrade have an automatic auto-correct that changes “I found this in my uncle’s house” to “I bought this in a drunken haze and am too embarrassed to admit it”?

Like 10
9AM Aussie time is like prime time afternoon evening. here on the left coast of the U.S. of A. I think it is also a different day. Oh well. If we get a Tissot sub forum, it will be worth it. The day starts here at 4AM which is tomorrow. That is when it is midnight in the UK and we are 8 hours behind.

Used to have a co worker down under and was always waking them up calling a bit to early. There was like an hour at the end of our workday and the start of theirs (the next day.)

Calling friends in England was best done at Midnight or 1AM. I think there were no working hour overlaps.

So what does the future look like? Anything interesting happen tomorrow?

9AM Aussie time is like prime time afternoon evening. here on the left coast of the U.S. of A. I think it is also a different day. Oh well. If we get a Tissot sub forum, it will be worth it. The day starts here at 4AM which is tomorrow. That is when it is midnight in the UK and we are 8 hours behind.

Used to have a co worker down under and was always waking them up calling a bit to early. There was like an hour at the end of our workday and the start of theirs (the next day.)

Calling friends in England was best done at Midnight or 1AM. I think there were no working hour overlaps.

So what does the future look like? Anything interesting happen tomorrow?
I think the tissot forum will be coming after this release but it won’t require another downtime, it’s next on the to do list though and we haven’t forgotten

Like 1
Very exciting!

Thank you for all the time and energy you guys put into keeping this site running!

Like 9
I really appreciate the effort to improve on an already outstanding forum. The only complaint I have ever had is the search, so it will be great to have that fixed. Plus I really need to get some work done tomorrow afternoon (West Coast USA), so this will help. :)

You all are the best, thanks again for all the work you do for the community!!!

Like 6
I think the tissot forum will be coming after this release but it won’t require another downtime, it’s next on the to do list though and we haven’t forgotten

cough- pardon me while I clear my throat…..Snorkel- cough

IMG_1958.png

Like 3
Na you’ll be fine mate and the search improvement will make it all worth it alone.

Not only does the new search finally work for 3 character terms like calibre numbers and give good results but it also works for your own private messages too so if you’re trying to find a discussion you head via PM with someone in the past you’ll be able to locate it.

Nah no problems really, just winding you up, because I can. Thanks for you efforts.

cough- pardon me while I clear my throat…..Snorkel- cough

IMG_1958.png

It’s charming how you get choked up every time you think about the benefits that a Pocket Watch Sub-Forum would have.

Like 3