Forums Latest Members

Freaky Friday: Bronze patina - real world example

1. pdxleaf ... Jul 23, 2021

For anyone curious about how bronze ages, here is an example.

This is after one week.

Day one
    20210716_100255.jpg

Exactly one week later of continuous wear:

20210723_092214.jpg

Omegafanman, aggie, ckhaing and 7 others like this.
  2. Alex Cheers Jul 23, 2021

Oh yes I am wondering indeed....
    So do you like how it aged in just one week? Will it now stay more like this?

3. pdxleaf ... Jul 23, 2021

Yes, I like it quite alot. I am surprised at how quickly it has changed but expected and wanted it to darken over time.

Having seen pictures of others, I expect it will continue to darken. Assuming I remember, i can post another photo in a week.

Cheers,
    Dave

Alex Cheers likes this.
  4. Alex Cheers Jul 23, 2021

Looking forward to that :thumbsup:
    I totally like that bronze look and initial aging but I am not really sure about it in the long term... But there is definitely something special about it.. nice looking watch by the way :thumbsup:

pdxleaf likes this.
  5. Walrus Jul 23, 2021

Pdx I’m really liking a lot of oris offerings just don’t know them well. Your watch says “5 days” on the dial. Is that the power reserve. I asked you prior but I think we got sidetracked. Really nice looking

ckhaing likes this.
  6. rob#1 Jul 23, 2021

Nice watch :thumbsup:, Oris have made this work really well. I do like the way bronze watches ‘age’ so quickly, it’s like patina without the patina (if that makes any sense). I’m sorely tempted by the bronze iteration of its new 5 series, though I’m worried the hands and dial might not match up :eek:. Here’s the before and after shots:

E4990E8B-E5C3-4CF9-B676-B5CF999F2B37.png BDF7BAD4-CE31-4579-9182-0A3A560CC094.png

Walrus and pdxleaf like this.
  7. pdxleaf ... Jul 23, 2021

Yep, 5 day power reserve. The hand is nothing more a small seconds.

It's the one thing I am not crazy about. Not a big fan of writing on dials. If you own the watch you know what it does. We don't need to be told repeatedly.

Otherwise I am digging it. You and I like colorful dials and this is a gorgeous blue dial. The domed sapphire crystal is brilliant. It looks vintage but it's sapphire. There's alot to like about this watch, including the 10 year warranty with the new in-house movement.

aggie, ckhaing and Walrus like this.
  8. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Jul 23, 2021

::puke::

9. pdxleaf ... Jul 23, 2021

Well, there goes your Christmas present idea!

Edit: among non-watch people, i get more positive comments about this watch than any other, including speedys, meterorite speedy, ug 18k gold, movado datron, etc... people seem to like this Oris. Maybe I'm just a crappy photographer?

Edited Jul 23, 2021
  10. Mediocre Jul 23, 2021

Remember, there are different alloys used for bronze watch cases. Some will patina much more quickly than others, and local environment/storage impact it as well.

11. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Jul 23, 2021

Give me a well worn grey titanium watch every time. Bronze patina is a fake thing in my view.

12. myatt Jul 23, 2021

That is indeed some food for thought. Maybe it is the novelty (if any) of a bronzed watch? Congratulations on the new acquisition.

pdxleaf likes this.
  13. pdxleaf ... Jul 24, 2021

I can appreciate that a person would not care for the appearance of bronze. Perhaps it's the imbalance of effects or the color.

I disagree that it would be considered fake. In my mind, it is just the opposite.

To me, bronze is used for sculptures. I do sculpting as a hobby. The fading of bronze couldn't be more natural, as it changes immediately simply by existing in the air. In fact, most sculptures have chemicals added to the finished sculpture to stablize the look and give it the patina. It is typically between dark brown and dark green. Butchers wax on top will then help protect it. The goal with the chemicals is to get a certain aged appearance and keep it at that point.

The term fake seems to mean manipulated to appear to be something other than it is in nature. To my mind, stainless steel, ceramic and titanium would be more fake as they are designed partly to avoid change through aging. Not so with bronze. Bronze is also a very old material, used by humanity for a long time. Omega's bronze is a bit different because of the addition of gold to stabilize it. But the Oris bronze is a more traditional mix of elements. The Omega bronze would be more fake to me. It's beautiful, but made to do something it doesn't do naturally, which would make it fake.

If by fake you mean not like current watch material, then yes, it's different.

Perhaps it would be more appealing if it were more aged. The watch is like a teenager now, in the awkward stage between what it was and what it is becoming.

Not trying to convince anyone to like bronze if it doesn't appeal to your ascetic. There is no reason to change what you like nor would I want to try to change you. But I don't think it is accurate to say bronze is fake. It's a very real material, as is gold and silver.

14. ConElPueblo Jul 24, 2021

I really liked the look of the new bronze Oris with the colourful dials until I saw one that had aged ::puke::

On a black dial like this one I like it waaay more!

15. pdxleaf ... Jul 24, 2021

Bell and Ross makes a nice bronze too. It might be sold out but they have a green dialed one i thought great. It is a beefy watch but surprisingly comfortable on the wrist. I almost went for it but the movement held me back.

This dial is more blue than black in the light. It's intended to invoke the Navy colors of blue and gold. Being a Army vet, that should say something about how much I like the watch. ;)

I probably need to keep posting pictures as it ages just to give it a chance to show what it can do. I'll try to remember to do that on Fridays. It can be freaky friday.

aggie likes this.
  16. Alex Cheers Jul 24, 2021

Haha freaky Friday :D I think it would be cool to see how it ages ::popcorn::

Edited Jul 25, 2021
  17. Walrus Jul 24, 2021

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deploy...e-of-patina-how-to-get-it-and-how-not-to/?amp

Wait I minute I feel like my boy Dave is being attacked here. Did we all suddenly forget the Bronze Age an it’s contributions to history. PDX is your feels are hurt by the vicious shortsighted people just send me the watch. I will post it everyday and document every change. I am now on the hunt for a bronze watch as I’m with you on this one.

Pianotuna, ckhaing and aggie like this.
  18. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jul 24, 2021

Rolf Studer (Oris CEO) latest post.

92C09CBC-6EF8-47CA-B2AF-D94C8214A0BB.jpeg

I think it looks fabulous…take it to the Ocean Dave!

64Wing, rcs914 and pdxleaf like this.
  19. pdxleaf ... Jul 24, 2021

No way. If everybody liked the same thing it'd be pretty boring. I love the different opinions.

Sorry, Jim, staying on my wrist.

Duracuir1 and wagudc like this.
  20. Walrus Jul 24, 2021

Hmmm, that last line reminds of of Star Trek like McCoy talking to Captain Kirk but he’d say “damn you Jim, it’s staying on my wrist.”