Forums Latest Members
  1. SkunkPrince Jun 30, 2020

And now you know. Vintage watches are expensive to buy and maintain, and if they're not, they won't keep time worth a damn. It really is a "rich man's sport."

2. killer67 Jun 30, 2020

Are you in Darien or Old Greenwich? That seems inflated for the scope of the service

3. Mattjames84 Jun 30, 2020

No I'm in the northeast. I bring my watches to marlborough.. if had about 6 watches serviced by him but I swear it gets more and more expensive every watch no matter what name is on the dial

4. Mattjames84 Jun 30, 2020

Is this watch worth putting that kind of money into? I mean damn, I got quoted less to have my rolex viceroy that I recently picked up serviced

5. killer67 Jun 30, 2020

Its a nice watch so I would shop around before giving up; surely you will find someone to charge less

6. Mattjames84 Jun 30, 2020

I'm having such I tough time... are there any special aspects about this watch historically speaking that would make it a crime not to save it??? Lol

7. SkunkPrince Jun 30, 2020

Not especially, you could probably find another.

But you should be able to find another watchmaker somewhere. Try this: https://awci.memberclicks.net/find-a-professional

8. padders Oooo subtitles! Jul 1, 2020

Can I be honest? No, it is probably not worth it.

It’s from Omega’s dark days. Integrated bracelets are a big turn off for many, the angular case too is very 70s, though the Oysterquartz certainly has fans. The movement was a cost cutting measure from an era when Omega were struggling, hence the collaboration with Tissot and lack of finishing. The quartz crisis was just around the corner.

Even if it cost you nothing, if you have to spend much more than $350 on it I would suggest you are losing money. Let’s be generous, when working right it might make $450 on an eBay sale but I doubt the collector community is going to fill your mailbox.

That aside, the dial is lovely and if you want it as a quirky daily wearer then maybe it’s worth it to you. I would keep looking for a more sensibly priced repair option. Assuming not too many parts are needed, in the UK I could get that serviced inc crystal for ~£225/$280 and there are similar independent providers in the US AFAIK.

Edited Jul 1, 2020
    Lucasssssss and Biezmez like this.
  9. OllieOnTheRocks Jul 1, 2020

I pay my watchmaker £150 plus parts for the omegas I’ve had serviced.

Biezmez likes this.
  10. SkunkPrince Jul 1, 2020

Just curious, does he give any expectations for accuracy?

11. Mattjames84 Jul 1, 2020

Well, I decided not to have it serviced yet and wait til I find someone I'm comfortable with.. so it's a wall hanger for now

12. Mattjames84 Jul 6, 2020

Well all the original parts my watchmaker told me were so hard to find and very expensive (crystal and original crown) I just got for under $100. Also scored a complete running tissot seastar with a 2481 for any movement parts I'll need for $100.. soooooo I guess I'm gonna try an give this a go alone

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 6, 2020

So you are going to service the movement yourself? Do you have any experience with servicing watch movements?

BTW just to clarify, the 1481 is a "local service" movement, so this is not a watch that would go to Bienne for servicing typically, and the priced should be the standard price for an automatic watch. The issue is that they may change things aesthetically that you may not want them to...

14. Mattjames84 Jul 6, 2020

I do have some experience with repairs but not full services. Not with omega but other brands

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 6, 2020

You need to start with something much simpler - get yourself an ETA 6497 or a clone of one, and practice the basics of servicing that movement until you can do it well, then move on from there...

Farmer likes this.
  16. Mattjames84 Jul 6, 2020

I just have a problem with how my watchmaker talks like I dont know what hes talking about and know nothing about the working of watches when iv been dealing with him for a few years now and talk to him everytime I go in there.. he try's to overcharge me on every single watch and the only reason iv gone through him is because I dont like the idea of sending an expensive watch in the mail to someone the i dont know and cant meet face to face

17. Mattjames84 Jul 6, 2020

Thanks for the advice archer

18. Mattjames84 Jul 6, 2020

Last watch I brought the guy to service watch a manual wind tudor 7934 and all I needed was a cleaning/service and a new stem... he charged over $400 and told me that the part was super hard to find but yet I already had it.. lol.. some watchmakers are real tools but I guess I was tool that paid him that much just cause I wanted it

19. bgrisso Jul 6, 2020

I would def shop around and find better prices, plus someone that you actually like working with