Forums Latest Members

Found a Speedmaster professional MarkII, not keeping time, best path forward..

1. Jon Heron May 24, 2020

G'Day,
    We were moving around some furniture in our new to us cottage and found this watch along with a couple other's and some jewellery and coins stashed under a cabinet. :thumbsup:
    I really like this watch and would like to wear it.
    I wound it and it all works but it does not keep proper time and I think it should have a proper service before I mess with it anymore as I figure it has been under that cabinet for a long time...
    I am not a collector and dont know much about watches other than I really appreciate the fine engineering that goes into a quality watch and of course wearing a fine watch like this!
    I would like to get it serviced and was shocked at the price from Omega @ $930.00CAD! https://www.omegawatches.com/custom...s-and-prices/main-steps-of-a-complete-service
    I was also shocked at the value of this cool watch! At least according to a google search.
    I live in the Fergus/Elora area in Ontario Canada and wonder if I just take it into the local fine watch repair place for a tune up and service, should that be all I need?
    The glow in the dark coatings have worn out, I would like to restore this functionality, if possible?
    What should I do to make this watch usable without taking away any value?
    Any advice here would be appreciated! IMG_20200524_214912.jpg IMG_20200524_215231.jpg IMG_20200524_214517.jpg IMG_20200524_215202.jpg
    Cheers,
    Jon

Shabbaz, Tet, Nathan1967 and 2 others like this.
  2. Seaborg May 25, 2020

Hi Jon,

Such a great find ! Lucky you :thumbsup: !
    This is what appears to be a nice Speedmaster Pro MarkII with the so called "Racing dial".
    It looks nice, very fine dial and hands. The case doesn't seem abused. The bracelet is of no value.
    This is quite a rare and valuable watch.

For your inqueries, I can't help you finding a nice watchmaker in Canada (I'm in France :rolleyes:).
    I can only say: don't send it to Omega ! They would ruin the intrinsic value of the watch by replacing everything to match the "factory spec".
    The hands and dial have lost most of their luminous capacity as it contains tritium that is a radioactive isotope of hydrogen. Due to its nature, tritium decays over time and as this watch is from the early 70's, the tritium is now almost gone (its half life is about 12 years --> so about 5 periods). I understand you wish to restore this functionnality, however, this would mean replacing the dial and hands for service SuperLuminova ones, doing so would drop the overall value of the watch.

I would suggest: try to find a great watchmaker in Canada (@Archer, you're from Canada right ?) and give it a service. Find a nice bracelet/strap and wear it in good health, it gonna be a very nice daily beater :thumbsup:

Cheers.

Dr R.

Edited May 25, 2020
  3. Aussie Jim May 25, 2020

What a find. I reinforce the sentiments above. The hands and dial look great. Dont fiddle with them. An independent service of this watch will also cost you real money, but is really essential. I have one that is very much like yours

IMG_0101.jpeg

Jon Heron and Seaborg like this.
  4. killer67 May 25, 2020

what a find - just service the movement and perhaps give the crystal a polish and gaze at it

Shabbaz, Jon Heron and Seaborg like this.
  5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 25, 2020

You have an excellent watchmaker about 2 hours drive away. He's very busy so the wait list may be long, but it would be your best option.

A polite enquiry via his email address may be a good idea.

lando, apsm100, Taddyangle and 2 others like this.
  6. ConElPueblo May 25, 2020

If you want to make the luminous dial work again, you will either need to get it relumed or have a service dial + hands installed. Few people here would recommend that, but make up your own mind about it. If you are concerned about retaining the value of the watch, either install a new dial + hands and keep the originals or leave it as it is. A relume will only hurt the value amongst collectors.

What a great find, congrats :)

krogerfoot and Jon Heron like this.
  7. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant May 25, 2020

Jon, You have been lucky. You did not buy one for a few 1000's of Cad $$$$$.... If you want to keep your luck in the future and wear that Omega, there are no shortcuts. It needs a movement service. And anything between cad 400-500 will propel you into the cool vintage omega scene. No cheapies here. Anything less would surprise me. Ask Canadian collectors for the right watchmaker, take your time and enjoy it. Kind regards from the opposite side of the Globe. Achim

Dan S, JanV, Jon Heron and 2 others like this.
  8. Jon Heron May 25, 2020

Thanks guys!
    That's a shame about the luminous function but its certainly not the end of the world.
    400 to 500 just to get the movement serviced eh? WOW!
    I will send Archer watches an email, I see they are in St.Thomas which is not too far away. Not like I would want to ship a 5000 dollar watch in the mail!
    If this watch is only of any value to collectors, would I be correct in assuming that having the movement serviced would not remove any value? Just leave the dial and hands as is then?
    I wonder if this dial used to be black and it has just faded over time?
    It appears the bracelet is not original, what kind of bracelet should this have to make it look more authentic?
    Cheers,
    Jon

9. ConElPueblo May 25, 2020

connieseamaster and Jon Heron like this.
  10. joe band May 25, 2020

Great find! just a service will not reduce the value of the watch, but actually will maintain the value. just make sure the service is only to the movement and doesn't alter the exterior beyond a crystal polish.

FWIW $5k is probably a bit optimistic for an original, but worn, cottage find racing MkII, but it's a great vintage beauty!

Jon Heron likes this.
  11. Seaborg May 25, 2020

I would say strongly optimistic even if it looks really nice :thumbsup:

watchyouwant and Jon Heron like this.
  12. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer May 25, 2020

Glow in the dark coating, got a kick out of that.

Welcome to OF.

Just as others mentioned, service only. No polish, no change to dial, hands, etc.

You should be able to buy a correct bracelet for $300 or so. Either below would be correct.

Also, get the serial number and look up at ilovemyspeedmaster.com to obtain delivery date. Could be 1969-1974 range.

IMG_20190610_165550.jpg

IMG_20190512_125731.jpg

CdnWatchDoc, Tet, Dan S and 2 others like this.
  13. joe band May 25, 2020

this

Seaborg likes this.
  14. Jon Heron May 25, 2020

Thanks guys, good to know!
    I was just basing the 5K on a quick google which displayed this one @ $5572.00CAD
    https://www.chrono24.ca/omega/speedmaster-mark-ii-ref-145014--id13160616.htm
    I realize that one looks like new and it has the proper bracelet but I really dont know anything about this hobby...
    Out of curiosity, what do you guys figure a realistic price for this piece in this condition would be?
    I sent an email to Archer for a quote on a service...
    Cheers,
    Jon

15. Seaborg May 25, 2020

I'd say around 2500-3000€ max (and I'm generous).

Mark020 and Jon Heron like this.
  16. joe band May 25, 2020

check ebay completed sales for an idea of the range.

17. eduk May 25, 2020

It would be nice to get the case back to an original starburst finish too.

18. Dan S May 25, 2020

A collector would have the movement serviced and leave the rest alone. You can find the correct bracelet for sale on the secondary market. I am not an expert on this model, but if you are shocked by the cost of a service, you will probably be equally shocked by the price of the bracelet. I imagine it will be several hundred USD.

watchyouwant and Seaborg like this.
  19. SkunkPrince May 25, 2020

Am I the only one wondering why you’re not contacting the previous owners?

lando and STANDY like this.
  20. Wryfox May 25, 2020

Since you are not a collector, I would suggest re:bracelet just find one you like and use that, rather than seeking an original. Especially if you're surprised at 500 for a service. That's actually quite fair if not on low end.

RE value, in the current condition, I think it's in 3000cad range.

Jon Heron likes this.