Forums Latest Members

2006 Seamaster Pro not keeping time

1. regishaunus Dec 5, 2018

looks like my seamaster professional is due a service. It’s loosing a good 1-2 hours a day!
    Is this typical of the symptoms of a watch needing servicing?
    Any recommendations for independent servicing in the UK?

2. valkyrie_rider Dec 5, 2018

1-2 hours? That is waaaay off for such nice caliber, generally when the watch is like 10s off is the time for service for modern calibers.

Besides the service, I wonder if the watch didn't get magnetized?

3. regishaunus Dec 5, 2018

Can’t think where it would have been exposed to magnetic force. If this is the case is it now scrap?

4. Canuck Dec 5, 2018

Broken mainspring? Not winding it fully? Suspect it is either or.

5. cholack Dec 5, 2018

Needs servicing for sure. Doesn’t mean that it’s scrap tho

valkyrie_rider likes this.
  6. valkyrie_rider Dec 5, 2018

Just reinforcing what @cholack said: it is not scrap!
    :)

Any decent watchmaker will get it up to its original glory and then you can enjoy it for years to come.

Got any pictures of the watch?

7. regishaunus Dec 5, 2018

valkyrie_rider likes this.
  8. regishaunus Dec 5, 2018

Small scratch on dial at the top, could do with a good polish. It’s been daily worn for about 5 years!

Just looked at omega servicing cost and nearly fell off the sofa. Does the £410 cover everything it may need (I expect except the bezel that has a scratch)? What are the alternatives for servicing in the uk preferably in the midlands area?

9. TDBK Dec 5, 2018

If it's just magnetized, any watchmaker can fix it in a few moments at little to no charge. (They just run it through a demagnetizer). If it needs a full service, it's going to be expensive; you can probably find someone decent who is cheaper than Omega, but it's going to be in the hundreds. And even if it is magnetized and returns to functioning well, it's still due for a full service before long. It's an unavoidable duty if you want to wear mechanical watches.

10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 5, 2018

Has it ever been serviced?

Archer likes this.
  11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 6, 2018

If so, when?

Foo2rama likes this.
  12. regishaunus Dec 6, 2018

Serviced about 4 yrs ago at a place in jewellery quarter in Birmingham. Was about £150. It’s doing the same as it was when I had it serviced last time.

13. valkyrie_rider Dec 6, 2018

It is a beautiful time piece and the problem is easy to fix by a decent watchmaker (I would assume a 300 to 400 pounds investment for the job).

If you are feeling not like fixing it, I would assume that selling it may be an option as long you disclose the issues with the watch it can be potentially a good deal for both parts.
    :)

14. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 6, 2018

If that is Hancocks then I wouldn't have a great deal of faith it was done all that well!

15. kelev_ra Dec 7, 2018

If your car doesn't drive you get it serviced. Are watch isn't that much different.
    Just go to a watchmaker you trust - maybe it's just 20 bucks and the watch doesn't even need a full service.

16. Ryguy008 Dec 10, 2018

Definitely get the guts looked at by an expert. Learned the hard way recently that you should go before big issues arise especially if it's a day wearing watch! Best of luck OP

17. JeremyS Dec 18, 2018

Time for a service. Magnetism might be an issue, but that usually causes watches to run insanely fast as opposed to slow.

As for Omega service, it should cover most of the commonly replaced movement parts, new crown and seals, new He valve and seals, caseback o-ring and restoring the case/bracelet to factory condition. The bezel, dial, and hands would be extra. I’m located in the US, where the total package is $550. Not really that bad, and they do an excellent job.

If you’re primarily interested in replacing the seals and servicing the movement, it might be possible to get the service for less. The 1120 movement is widely known among watchmakers, and service along with replacement of worn parts can restore it to chronometer specs. One of the best Swiss movements ever designed.

18. Gruesome Dec 19, 2018

I'm not sure, but it might be cheaper to put a new eta 2892 movement into this watch than to get it overhauled by Omega.

19. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 19, 2018

What a daft idea. The movements are not identical, there are many differences, not least in the obvious finishing and anyway ETA movements aren’t peanuts to buy any more. Then you have to get it fitted which isn’t cheap and possibly serviced anyhow if it’s an eBay movement. You would be destroying the resale value of the watch if you did what you suggest and it would likely cost more than an independent service by the time you have finished.

It would be cheaper still to throw it in the bin and buy a Casio but that too is silly.

Edited Dec 19, 2018
    ac106 and paulw like this.
  20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 19, 2018

[​IMG]

watchstick_81 likes this.