Forums Latest Members

Forum Opinion on Lorier Falcon II

1. thelinendial Jun 8, 2020

I'm really interested to hear this forum's opinion (because most here love vintage watches) on this recent Lorier Falcon II, 36mm dial, 9mm or 11mm (with acrylic dome) thick for $499 USD.

FalconBlue.jpg

And here's the only video review I could find so far,

I like,
    I like the vintage feel (and they stick to 36mm), the microadjustment slots (if they work without tools) and the bubble acrylic cyrstal. I don't see anything current generation comparable.

Not sure about,
    Crown is a little big and not sure I can't see the case looking good without the bracelet. If I got one, maybe over time I'd change the crown and movement (nix that, I thought it was the Miyota 9015 known to have a noise rotor - I have no idea about the 90S5).

Edited Jun 8, 2020
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 8, 2020

I like the green dial.
    Just know the resale is going to be bad.

change the movement? 1 that’s not as easy as you think. 2 what’s wrong with what it has?

Edited Jun 8, 2020
    connieseamaster and thelinendial like this.
  3. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Jun 8, 2020

i would never recommend a buy on this watch. not because it's a bad looker but because it will never be worth collecting.

a micro non LE with a seiko movement. or other non swiss movemnent...sure, if you love it by all means buy it. that is the most important thing.

but at $500 you could get a very nice period example skin diver that will always be collected.

thelinendial likes this.
  4. thelinendial Jun 8, 2020

Good point on the resale value. Might make more sense to wait to buy used.

Regarding the movement, I was mistaken. I was thinking of the Miyota 9015 which is not noisy. Will update my original note to clarify.

Edited Jun 19, 2020
  5. SkunkPrince Jun 8, 2020

On the other hand, if you want to wear it, why not? Decent movement and it's an attractive watch.

I buy watches because I like wearing them. They don't sit on a shelf looking pretty.

6. wagudc Jun 8, 2020

There is a lot to like here. I bet it would look good on a NATO. It is completely a matter of personal taste, but I am not a fan of the very flat look to the bracelet. I think that the links are trapezoidal with the wide edge at the top. It gives the bracelet a very unique character, if you like it that is a good thing. I do wonder about the big crown, my Vostok has a big chunky crown that can be uncomfortable. However the Vostok was only $70. For the same price as the Lorier (but a tad larger) you could get a Maen. See:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/review-of-the-maen-hudson-mkiii.114772/

thelinendial likes this.
  7. wagudc Jun 8, 2020

There are advantages of a brand new watch, but I agree a skindiver could be had for that price. I even think you could include a service in that budget, but it will require careful sleuthing and time. Perhaps even a little luck. To me there is a place for both a vintage skindiver and a modern microbrand. I like the idea of supporting these innovative start-ups. Lorier, Maen, Baltic, and Meraud are all ones I like.

kip595 and thelinendial like this.
  8. wagudc Jun 8, 2020

I am not a big fan of the "microbrands" that offer 30+ varieties of watches, with every color, hand, and dial choice you can imagine.

apsm100 likes this.
  9. connieseamaster Jun 8, 2020

The lugs look too long for the dial. Reminds me of bat ears.

thelinendial likes this.
  10. SkunkPrince Jun 8, 2020

Interesting you say that. I was thinking similar things but then I though tto hold my Railmaster LE up to the screen and the dial opening and lug lengths are quite comparable, but the lugs on the Lorier are much thinner, which I think makes them look longer than they really are.

11. abrod520 Jun 9, 2020

I think Lorier has nice designs if you want a vintage-y look for cheap, maybe a beater. But those hands.... I can't quite figure out why, but they make me nauseous. Something about the size of the arrow makes it fall into this weird uncanny valley between the broad arrows and the small arrows. Visual equivalent of nails on a chalkboard. Prob not too difficult to find a better set of hands, but then at that level of effort, not too hard to find something else entirely.

nlogax likes this.
  12. N05J3W3 Jun 9, 2020

Agree with the above remark: consider the fit with those long lugs before purchase.

13. kaapstadflaneur Jun 10, 2020

I strongly considered the green dial Lorier Falcon Mark II as I liked the textured dial, the case shape (yes, it has long lugs, but that was a plus for me), and the flat link bracelet. The $500 price seemed fair and appropriate for the product offered. But I ended up not pulling the trigger because of the hands. I just wish the hour hand was different -- a proper vintage-style broad arrow would fit much better with the Falcon's design aesthetic.

nlogax and thelinendial like this.
  14. thelinendial Jun 10, 2020

Thanks for the replies. It helped me make my decision at least.

For the budget, I just bought myself a Vintage longines right here on the forum instead. Will post picks once I get it.

Hands never bothered me until mentioned here :) but now it does a bit.

I might pickup the Falcon II used down the road.

Edited Jun 10, 2020
    Dan S and wagudc like this.
  15. thelinendial Jun 19, 2020

Well folks, with everyone's here influence - and my wife reading your comments - I ended up with my first vintage Longines 1947 from @bimbim1207 via Omega Private sales for Father's Day!

Unlike the Longines Heritage 1945 40mm the ~34mm fits way better (for me) and I daresay, I feel the proportions are better than the original 1945 inspiration on dial and being manual wind - nice and thin.

My new watch,

NG0IKJAh.jpg

Longines Heritage 1945 36mm,

Screen_Shot_2017-03-23_at_7.02.19_PM.jpeg

Longines Heritage 1945... 40mm too big for my wrist, and the subdial... such a shame it's off-center like that if only they had kept to smaller proportions (as discussed here)... I think 36mm would have been more appropriate if the movement is small enough,

B89A9043_copy.jpg

Orion78, Dan S, kip595 and 5 others like this.
  16. dahle Jul 1, 2020

I am reading the comments and can’t stop laughing. I have the Lorier and is giving me 3 seconds a day efficiency. Regarding to resale, the forums show strong resale with low losses, on the order of $100 over the old $400 price (-25%). Think again, $100.

the watch is very attractive in person, including the crown, and the bracelet that looks awful in pictures, is a beauty in person, like my Railmaster one. Is my new day to day watch.

nlogax, wagudc, SlCKB0Y and 2 others like this.
  17. SlCKB0Y Sep 11, 2020

They always sell out for significant periods between production runs and the second hand examples are usually not far below the retail price (If at all). Are you speaking just generally or have you actually looked at these specifically?

18. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 11, 2020

Look at sales of used ones.

19. izydor Sep 11, 2020

It is, actually. It winds in one direction only, and can be loud while spinning in opposite direction. Some get used to it, for others it’s a no go. Probably it also depends on the case.

thelinendial likes this.
  20. kip595 Sep 11, 2020

If I come across a nice condition pre-owned model in the blue for the right price, probably meaning whatever I have on me that day, it's on the 'this might be a fun addition' list - I went overboard with microbrands briefly, so try to keep it down to 1, maybe 2 now.

I find most of the money, as others have suggested, is not only more wisely but more interestingly spent on the less common stuff, such as the Longines the OP went with.