Forums Latest Members

Forstner Bands reissue the Bonklip...

1. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jun 1, 2020

...and it will work with fixed-bars too :thumbsup:

Lookin’ good and lookin’ forward.

63FB077D-0C05-4D41-935C-494AA2CF038D.jpeg

Ps: nope, I am in no way affiliated :D

2. JwRosenthal Jun 1, 2020

Oh hell yeah! I don’t have Facebook, do they give any hints to sizing?

3. JwRosenthal Jun 1, 2020

4. zoohannover Jun 1, 2020

Tet and eugeneandresson like this.
  5. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jun 1, 2020

zoohannover likes this.
  6. Forstnerbands Jun 1, 2020

Hey all! Thanks for the interest. As for sizing, it'll be offered (at least initially) in 18mm, 19mm, and 20mm.

7. Forstnerbands Jun 1, 2020

Happy to provide more info! Like the Komfit, it'll fit most wrists -- roughly those ranging from about 6-8 (maybe 8.5) inches.

We've also re-created the vintage Forstner clasp, which is a little different than other Bonklips. The Forstner clasp uses a spring-loaded push button mechanism (see photo showing buttons on both sides of clasp). This is easier to use and seems slightly more secure than the snap-in style clasp in some of the vintage versions. I tend to think this is also more intuitive (when we were researching vintage models, some were really hard/confusing to use). As you can also see, the bracelet has a mixture of brushed and polished finishes, with a polished clasp. Think it looks really sharp but I could be persuaded to change the finishing if there's a strong preference.

Also, yes it works with fixed bars :)

8. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jun 1, 2020

Exactly why this is a ‘no contest’ with the other ;)

zoohannover and JwRosenthal like this.
  9. JwRosenthal Jun 1, 2020

Thank you for taking this on in addition to the other bracelets. The mix of brushed and polished is stunning- many of the vintage pieces these work well on are either all polished or a mixture- rarely ever were they totally brushed. Please don’t succumb to the pressures of the all brushed forum-revisionists-historians that have dominated the vintage bracelet reissue landscape lately.
    As for the sizing, will it be 18 bracelet and 18/19/20 endlinks cut down to size like the originals (16 bracelet and 20 ends- cut to size) or will each size be the same size bracelet up to the endlinks?

marco likes this.
  10. Forstnerbands Jun 1, 2020

Thanks! I really appreciate the feedback. You captured my thoughts precisely on the finishing.

Regarding the end/bracelet width, the first iteration of the bracelet will be 18mm at the central portion, with an option to select either 18mm, 19mm, or 20mm end pieces. I'd be happy to make the end piece even wider as well if there's interest in that.

I've also thought about creating a version with a 16mm central portion (to offer a 16mm and 17mm size), but wasn't sure about whether there would be enough interest in the narrower bracelet. I personally love the narrow look but even with the Komfit a lot of people questioned the decision to make it so narrow. I definitely stand by the Komfit width as it is historically correct, but including the anecdote for context.

wagudc, henrikaa, Pazzo and 1 other person like this.
  11. JwRosenthal Jun 1, 2020

The 16-17mm versions are abundant on the used market. I think the appeal for yours would be a slightly wider bracelet width (18mm) and endlinks cut for 18/19/20 and even 22 for those who wish.

speedytoronto and Forstnerbands like this.
  12. M'Bob Jun 1, 2020

Looks nice. An engineering question: on your JB mesh bracelets, you included polyimide dots to protect the internal lug surfaces from abrasion. These I see do not have spring-loaded ends. Will you supply the dots here as well, or not an issue with these as they are specifically sized to fit the lug internal dimensions?

JwRosenthal likes this.
  13. Forstnerbands Jun 1, 2020

Good question. I hadn't considered including the dots with these for the reason you mentioned, that these are sized to fit and not spring loaded. I don't expect that there would be an issue with internal lug damage. Happy to hear the helpful thoughts from folks on this forum, of course.

KingCrouchy likes this.
  14. M'Bob Jun 1, 2020

Thanks. So theoretically, one really doesn’t need the protectors on the JB Komfit, then, if they’re being used on a 20mm lug, right? Because there would be no spring pressure to cause abrasion.

Where am I going with this? In kind, if you make your JB Komfit with lug-end specific sizing, as you are doing with this, and without springs, one can wear them with complete impunity on their $20,000 watch with nary a worry about scraping the lugs!

15. Forstnerbands Jun 1, 2020

I hear ya, and I've considered making a version with specific sizes. I initially released the spring-loaded version to be more historically correct (at least as to the NASA used version). I can see a future in which we release a fixed end version, though.

M'Bob likes this.
  16. M'Bob Jun 1, 2020

As I suspected, and that of course makes sense. But a lug-specific model, no springs, internal dimension of the end slightly thicker for a better fit (less movement and more secure interface), but externally indistinguishable from the original? That’s a tweak I’d love to see.

marco, Pazzo and JwRosenthal like this.
  17. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jun 13, 2020

@Forstnerbands thanks once again for your efforts at providing ‘us’ with great modern alternatives to vintage bracelets. I have a query regarding the bonklips. I find the vintage proportions/aesthetics rather attractive (maybe I am alone?). Here is an example (and almost the same watch I have that I would like to get a bonklip for) :

FECD3EA7-ECDA-4D1D-9BC1-0A7AD36E9C96.jpeg

I guess there are zero plans to make them in this factor? I could imagine, with narrower end links that these could also fit smaller (e.g. ladies) watches...perhaps not the largest market...

Ps: this book I have has a whole section about these bracelets. Will gladly share via PM.

Edited Jun 13, 2020
  18. M'Bob Jun 13, 2020

You are not alone. We all love you around here. But regarding the aesthetics of matching a larger watch with a very narrow bracelet, yes...:)

JwRosenthal and eugeneandresson like this.
  19. JwRosenthal Jun 13, 2020

I’ve seen originals pop up on the bay 13mm wide with 18 enlinks (I’m sure some of the collectors here have some uncut ones) they usually go for little money as I don’t think that’s the look many go for these days and would prefer a wider bracelet to endlink ratio...but it is a cool look.

eugeneandresson likes this.
  20. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Jun 13, 2020

About time someone picked this up, it seems numerous people have now. Talk about busses.

Will be following this and the other project with interest. I remember reading some other company was also making one but I have more faith in either of these above.