Forums Latest Members
  1. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jun 23, 2019

In my humble opinion and it is that, this was probably the most boring race I have ever witnessed and the track certainly did not help.
    It seldom happens but wife and family agree.

MichaelRay and SouthernScot like this.
  2. texasmade Jun 23, 2019

Ferrari’s Plan F basically tells you all you need to know. Lewis driving on hard tires that’s supposed to be over a second slower per lap that were 29 laps old was barely beaten for fastest lap by Vettel’s Ferrari on fresh soft tires.

MichaelRay likes this.
  3. Vega Mike Jun 24, 2019

The French GP was easily the most boring race of the year. On current form Monza and Spa seem like the only realistic opportunities for Ferrari to grab a win, if they can get their act together.

It’s become so predictible and boring, the FIA might as well give the championship to Hamilton now. That’s one way they can cap the team budgets at the same time.

marco, MichaelRay and SouthernScot like this.
  4. arturo7 Jun 24, 2019

That track is hideous. They should take out that tarmac and plant some grass for Ricciardo to drive in.

MichaelRay likes this.
  5. Evitzee Jun 24, 2019

Yesterday's race was one of the most boring F1 parades I've seen in my 20+ years of following F1, a boring race on a very boring track. The track may be a technical challenge to the drivers and teams but that kind of track is not very pleasant for the viewer, visually it is a mess. Hamilton is the best driver out there with the best machinery, but no one wants to keep seeing the same results week after week, month after month, year after year. But not to worry, the race stewards are on the job to dole out those pesky 5 second time penalties and, of course, the weekly grid penalties. F1 has been sad for the last few years, but it is really going downhill now as far as putting on a show for the fans.

Edited Jun 24, 2019
    marco and MichaelRay like this.
  6. texasmade Jun 24, 2019

If Liberty dropped the Paul Ricard Circuit, I wouldn't be too upset. Watching it on TV is difficult with all of the stripes.

SouthernScot and MichaelRay like this.
  7. jzerore Jun 24, 2019

I love the idea that a car can go off, be penalized, and not out of the race, though. This year may be a parade, but the backmarkers have already provided some pretty good drama as the leaders have to pick their way through. It also just crushes me when an under-funded team gets killed by a gravel trap.

8. MichaelRay Jun 24, 2019

Please excuse this rant, but it comes from the most disappointing two weeks of F1 racing that I’ve experienced in a long long time. It’s sad what F1 has become. F1 went from not caring if the drivers died every weekend in a ball of flame to handing out penalties for cutting a guy off, not hitting him mind you, but cutting him off. Don’t care if you’re team Seb or Hamilton, having the guy on the top step for coming in second just kills the sport. Second, as all of you have already commented on, the “parade” we watched was disgraceful. Sadly the best racing was done by Daniel Ric on the final lap, and of course he was rewarded with what?? a penalty of course (sorry, 2 penalties). It’s become the norm for the top 6 to finish in almost the exact same position as they started, or at least after the first lap. Overtaking is only done with DRS now and even that has become incredibly predictable. At 46 I don’t want to sound like the old guy that romanticizes of days past when racing was better, but damn this is just sad.

CD7FB6D3-8D22-4386-8225-53C705CA3BAA.jpeg
    Also, thank God for the MotorTrend live racing app & endurance racing.

Edited Jun 24, 2019
    vbrad26, SouthernScot and CJpickup57 like this.
  9. jzerore Jun 24, 2019

Yeah man, rant on. It’s just boring now, and super sad because we have some of the best drivers in the history of the sport on track and the dudes just want to RACE. Then, the scant opportunities they have to pass not on the back straight with their super turbo power buttons, they get scolded.

Damn, now I feel old too. 40 going on 95.

MichaelRay likes this.
  10. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Jun 24, 2019

Nürburgring 24 hours was a much better show and it lasted a whole day.

11. MichaelRay Jun 24, 2019

Hell yeah it was! GT’s going at it and trading paint.

12. redpcar Jun 24, 2019

I loved it when the commentators wanted to turn on the sprinklers to make it interesting. Race was just sad. Looked like it was on a parking lot.

marco, SouthernScot and Foo2rama like this.
  13. SouthernScot Jun 25, 2019

I am that boring old guy!

14. CJpickup57 Jun 29, 2019

1) Leclerc on pole with setting new track record

2) Hamilton

3) Verstappen

4) Botas

5) Magnussen

15. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Jun 29, 2019

Wrong! Hamilton 3 spot penalty for impeding Kimi.
    Looks like there may be an actual race this weekend!

Foo2rama likes this.
  16. CJpickup57 Jun 29, 2019

Oh, I didn’t catch that! Thank you for the correction. I am out and about with the family and caught the end of qualifying.

17. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Jun 29, 2019

Just happened.

CJpickup57 likes this.
  18. texasmade Jun 29, 2019

Can’t wait for tomorrow. Different strategies along with 4 different teams in the top 4. If Mercedes wins again tomorrow then the other teams need to pack it in and just focus on 2020.

19. tikkathree Jun 29, 2019

Tonight I had the opportunity to watch the highlights of the Austrian GP qualifying OR watch Formula W round 3 from Misano Italy. Hoping for better action I chose the latter.
    Essentially, a race series for females/girls/women (I assume there are clear rules about gender expressions etc) racing in matching formula 3 cars with cars and engineers being rotated between rounds. I think those were the key bits. 18 drivers, 10 nationalities. 30 minute races plus 1 lap. No pitstops.
    Off the start P2 outdragged P1, P-something like 4 went for a gap which wasn't there and was two-wheeling into the gravel. Safety car for 1 or 2 laps negating some of the advantage which P2 had pulled out over P1.
    P2 held her lead over P1 all the way to the chequered flag. Apparently some places were exchanged lower down the order but with the exception of a half-spin towards the end of the race the cameras were glued to the top 3 all the way to the end.
    Was it significantly more watchable than F1? Sadly, imho no but maybe this was just another of those processional race tracks which favour aero over driver ability.
    Am I glad I watched it? Yes I am. Will I give it another try? Yes I will.

20. tikkathree Jun 29, 2019

I thought points were scored by the drivers who could solve the puzzle of "which is the shortest route from A to B?" It certainly looks like a maze in a puzzle book.