Forums Latest Members
  1. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Apr 29, 2019

Herbert was definitely faster in 1995 he won 1, Schumacher won a few more than that, NINE according to the record book. But the poor guy was British and the world was against him. Schumachers broken legs in 1999 were trivial compared to poor Johnny. Having to battle Mika Häkkinen was nothing compared to Michaels struggle against Herbert.

2. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Apr 29, 2019

And yes my wife also stuck it Ron Dennis as well. Ron complained about Ferrari using team orders and later up in the year (next race?) pulled team orders. Her letter to the editor was published in On Track magazine. Called Ron a hypocrite.

Wivac likes this.
  3. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Apr 29, 2019

4B9545DE-206C-44FD-98CA-CEBAEAE0AD5D.jpeg On track 1998 25 June . image.jpg Bob Wolleck made a mistake :(

4. simonsays Apr 29, 2019

I don't really see the significance of him being British? In 1995 Briatore gave 90% of the testing time to Schumacher and the team revolved around him. Michael refused to share any data after being slower in testing to Herbert. As you mention him Herbert was just as quick as Hakkinen when they were at Lotus in 1992.

Herbert had no luck and the cards didn't fall his way, but he was World Champion material and it was a shame he never quite got the opportunity achieve it.

If you think Schumachers 1999 injuries were in anyway comparable to what Herbert sustained in 1988 I think you should do some research!

5. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Apr 29, 2019

All I need to research is 91 wins for Schumacher. 3 for Herbert QED.

6. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Apr 29, 2019

What is lost on a lot of people is that Michael Schumacher was usually not the fastest driver over a single lap. Schumacher had the advantage of being in better physical condition: He could run a quick lap time for the entire race distance, leaving his teammates in the dust.
    B9003E01-0A3E-41D9-93F1-A7ED73138830.jpeg 69185C29-86C3-46D7-A75A-F538927AE8FE.jpeg 683CE992-56B0-4078-A9F4-5F4B84B4BFF0.jpeg 515B1D20-9794-46CA-9AA1-792898FB93D8.jpeg Extra photos.

7. texasmade May 12, 2019

Ferrari can’t stop tripping over themselves. Mercedes is unbeatable at the moment but Ferrari should be able to beat RB Honda.

Foo2rama likes this.
  8. Dogmann May 12, 2019

Hi all

Well an incredible 5th 1-2 for Mercedes especially here @Barcelona and what looked like it was going to be Ferrari's year only 10 weeks ago here at testing. Ferrari really are not delivering on what they seemed to promise and their strategy calls are all over the place IMO also Vettel is beginning to look weak whilst Le Clerc is showing great promise. Meantime Max at Red Bull is really showing how much he has matured in the way he is now driving and it looks like Honda are delivering on their promise and are supplying a much better engine than Renault did or can and the Red Bull car is really good and getting better to its no surprise Max is 3rd in the drivers standings.

Which leads me to I read somewhere earlier this week that Renault may of played Ricciardo by showing him what developments were coming for their engine as RB claim that was what kept being shown to them but without Renault actually delivering and it seems to me that Ricciardo has made a massive mistake in moving from RB to Renault although only 5 races in may be to soon to say for sure it really looks that way to me.

Marc

9. texasmade May 12, 2019

I’m not completely sold on Leclerc yet. Other than Bahrain, he’s been making mistakes all over the place. You can’t do that at Ferrari and expect to compete.

10. MRC May 12, 2019

So how long will Vettel last? Mistakes all over the place.

The Ferrari tacticians must be on the bubble too.

Dogmann and Foo2rama like this.
  11. Wivac Terribly special May 12, 2019

I like LEC, seems to be keeping VET honest, certainly making life interesting for him.

Question for the brains: when the first big aero upgrades drop, will we see FER throw everything at it, given the more limited scope of development they have available to them, hoping to close the gap in the short term?
    Or play a wait and see and try and solve with the immediate problem with grunt/ alternatives?

Dogmann likes this.
  12. MRC May 12, 2019

Or admit that this year is a write-off already and put their effort into next year's car [*]. Hard decision to make.

[*] And base it on LeClerc's driving style. Looking at the F1.com "Performance" graphs in the live timing he's absolutely consistent on every lap and very very light on the steering, whereas Vettel is a quick input pitch-it-in man. I like LeClerc, he's from the Fangio, Clark, Stewart, Prost line.

G,D&R

13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 12, 2019

2 races in a row Ferrari strategy has been asleep at the wheel. What is going on there???

marco likes this.
  14. Dogmann May 12, 2019

@Wivac & all

I believe most of teams are bringing upgrades to the races as fast as they can and Ferrari are meant to of brought a really big engine upgrade to this last race at Barcelona but as yet that hasn't seemed to make much of a difference or given them any progress at all. Not only are they not catching Mercedes but they seem to be falling behind Red Bull as well especially with the way Max is performing and so far Le Clerc is the one that has gotten closest to actually winning a race and was cruelly robbed of the victory only due to an engine fault. Whilst Le Clerc has made some mistakes it's his first season at Ferrari and only 5 races in whilst Vettel has been at Ferrari a long time now and is continuing to make mistakes as he did last year so IMO is doing worse than the new boy. We all know Vettel is getting paid a huge amount if he fails to improve and deliver this year I wouldn't be surprised if it will be his last with the prancing horse especially if Le Clerc continues to improve and out performs him but there is still a long way to go in this season.

Marc

shishy and marco like this.
  15. bigdubnick May 12, 2019

This 100%

Dogmann likes this.
  16. Evitzee May 12, 2019

Ferrari's pre-season testing put them at the top, they were finally getting the hp to compete with the Silver Arrows, it was supposed to be their year. Either MB were sandbagging everyone and had the extra power on tap or Ferrari has collapsed through bad management and terrible strategy. Probably a bit of both. I'm no huge Hamilton fan but he is the best driver on the track, has been for a few years now. But it is getting boring, again to see the same procession. MB 1-2, with Ferrari or RB fighting for the next places.

Have heard about the Ricciardo getting played story, probably some truth to it, they have done it before. I find it ironic that Carlos Ghosn of Renault was all in on EV's and hybrids on the street and on the track, yet they have pretty much been MIA in the hybrid area, and his personal fortunes have not gone well either in the last six months or so. DR should have sucked it up and try to win back the top driver slot at RB, or wait until Vettel gets shown the door at Ferrari. Rubens Barrichello was always second fiddle at Ferrari under Schumacher, but he had the second best slot in F1. Ricciardo could have played the same game. Now he's stuck.

Dogmann likes this.
  17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 12, 2019

That statistic by Crofty wasn't a good one for Seb, the last two Ferrari drivers to have been on pole are Charles and Kimi...

shishy and Dogmann like this.
  18. fastfras May 15, 2019

It's turning out to be a great season, well, if you're a fan of Mercedes anyway.

What's the total now? 76 and counting?

19. simonsays May 16, 2019

It has been disappointing for me. Red Bull and Ferrari quite far away from where they need to be to race Mercedes, nothing from Renault and I am not seeing quite the same level of close racing between the midfield that excited last year.

I think we are entering a dangerously dominant period. I stopped watching F1 in the Schumacher era because it was just a procession. At least Mercedes are allowing their drivers to race, but are we in danger of having the championship decided well before the end of the season, and no real racing or jeopardy?

Dogmann likes this.
  20. dputydwg1 May 16, 2019

Ferrari always believes they are faster - that may be so - but their current drivers are reckless