Forums Latest Members
  1. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Apr 16, 2019

But he does it so nicely :D

simonsays likes this.
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 16, 2019

Exactly! Unfortunately the race was somewhat boring.

bigdubnick likes this.
  3. Wivac Terribly special Apr 27, 2019

* no quali spoilers

Anyone in the UK thoroughly sick of CH4 hatchet job on the quali sessions? Skipped the last 2min of Q2.
    Anyway to watch live in the UK without giving Murdoch money?

Edited Apr 27, 2019
    Alpha likes this.
  4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 27, 2019

F1 runs the sky feed for a subscription. You might be able to do it via espn.com but you might have to jump through some hoops. ESPN also carries the Sky broadcast in the US. Don’t ask we are not happy about it either. We miss David Hobbs.

Wivac likes this.
  5. Evitzee Apr 27, 2019

I was never that fond of the previous American commentary (Hobbs, et al) and think the current Brundle and Co broadcast team is much better and more detail focused.

I always extend the ESPN recording time to allow for rain and wrecks, and so it was today. I extended the DVR time to two hours and just made it.....time ran out as they were yakking to the 2nd place finisher post qualifying. I've found that you usually can't access feed from another country, it's usually blocked. I can't access, or even view videos, of the UK based BBC channel in the US, I just get the message that the video is not available in my country (USA). A 12 year old could probably figure a way, but I'm not smart enough.

Foo2rama likes this.
  6. MRC Apr 27, 2019

Give radio a try. Jolyon Palmer and Max Chilton doing the main commentary with Jenny Gow risking assault as she intercepts the drivers furious with themselves walking back to the pits after a shunt. Jolyon and Max are articulate, knowledgeable and clearly can comment from experience.

Basic (free) timing screens are just about adequate from F1.com although I might see if they have improved the dog's dinner that the paid-for app became And then on Monday Mark Hughes' analysis on https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/f1 .

NB, I was brought up in the days with zero F1 coverage except for Jenks in MotorSport a month later and the dailys after the British GP (although Daily Express tried harder for "foreign" coverage in the days they sponsored the International Trophy at Silverstone).

Wivac likes this.
  7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 27, 2019

Its not that hard to bypass using vpn's.

I am not a fan of Brundle esp his pit walks. Hobbs while a little... well Hobbs is missed. Will is very very missed, good to see he is still there with what I think is F1 itself. But yes the overall info is better as they do not have to explain every rule every race as the Sky team assumes basic knowledge while the US team could not make that assumption... I can still be pissed at ownership taking it from NBC and giving it to ESPN who puts zero money into it.

8. texasmade Apr 27, 2019

At least espn is broadcasting with no commercial interruptions. I just wish espn would play some of the post race analysis instead of cutting feed 10 min after the race is done to broadcast Sportscenter.

9. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Apr 27, 2019

True story. I was with my wife at Sonoma (or Infineon, I cant remember) and my wife had the kahunas to ask Johnny Hebert what it was like to get beat by Michael Schumacher every time.

shishy and Foo2rama like this.
  10. simonsays Apr 28, 2019

Did he tell her about how he was severely disabled by a crash that nearly lost him his feet, and so he found it hard to drive to his abilities. Probably not.

lando and speedydownunder like this.
  11. texasmade Apr 28, 2019

Not too much excitement in today’s race. Ricciardo had a major brain fart reversing into Kvyat. Lewis should’ve treated Bottas like Nico off the start in Austin 2015 and pushed Bottas off the track to get the position. He had a much better start but was on the wrong side of the track.

12. Wivac Terribly special Apr 28, 2019

I dont understand how Ch4 can justify a 'highlights ' show where the race is the smaller component and all the fluff and interviews take up the majority of the time.
    They missed out a chunk of laps torwards the latter stages this time, I'm guess the editor decided we didnt want to see how the lower mid fields swapped around.

RIC for the lols tho. KVY saying he will buy him a rear view mirror for the next one almost made me like him

13. Wivac Terribly special Apr 28, 2019

Also, McLaren 4th in the constructors ( by a hairs breadth). That's something I doubt they were expecting this year

Edited Apr 29, 2019
    bigdubnick likes this.
  14. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Apr 28, 2019

Have to agree, the CH4 coverage was shite.

15. simonsays Apr 29, 2019

I was very impressed with Bottas, no mistakes kept his cool under immense pressure from HAM, and was fast as f&@k! Perfect week end for him. I hope he can keep it up, Lewis looks like he is starting to feel the pressure with a few small mistakes. Losing time to Bottas under the VSC, and running wide on Lap 50 costing him a chance to overtake for the win.

I think Ferrari got a hard time about Leclerc's strategy. I cannot work out what they could of done to improve his result?

In defence of Ch4 there was no position changes from lap 40 to the end of the race, and apart from Albon and Giovanazzi battling for 11th and 12th they were not even close. So I doubt the sports director would have given any coverage to the midfield and you missed nothing?

bigdubnick likes this.
  16. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Apr 29, 2019

Total new person to F1 this year. Came across the documentary Drive to Survive and now I’m hooked. A former NASCAR fan but stopped following a couple of years ago.
    Learning curve on F1, but I Iove it.
    Mrs. Blufnz is a big LeClerc fan.

superfly, shishy, Wivac and 1 other person like this.
  17. bigdubnick Apr 29, 2019

Me
    Drive to Survive gets full credit for recruiting me. What a great doc!

superfly and blufinz52 like this.
  18. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Apr 29, 2019

From watching Formula 1 for close to 4 decades now, I am truly beginning to understand how awful it must be to be a British Formua 1 driver. Johnny Herberts broken legs, Lewis Hamilton had to sleep on his daddies couch, always gets bad tires and has to suffer sabotage. Truly disgraceful.

Foo2rama likes this.
  19. Wivac Terribly special Apr 29, 2019

I'm a big fan of Ch4, their coverage when they picked up the F1 after the Beeb dropped it was pretty great given the time frame they had to put the shows together. I guess I'm a little old fashioned, if I want to watch a race, that means the race, not chunks of it.I'm assuming they do the same for football or horse racing when nothing really happens.
    The art of weaving a narrative into sporting events that keeps the viewer informed and interested in those periods has largely gone, snooker being maybe the only exception.

Columbo moment: one more thing on BOT, I was getting a bit fed up with exclamations and astonishment thrown around by the commentators that he can drive, quickly, in a quick car. Classy drive, in a good car.

20. simonsays Apr 29, 2019

I think the worst part of it must be putting up with comments from people who have no understanding of the level of dedication and sacrifice put in to being a world class sportsman.

It was a bit worse than broken legs, they were close to amputation, and the courage to come back, change your driving style to adapt to permanent injuries is admirable. He was often faster than Schumacher in 1995 but had to put up with Flavio Briatore giving all the support to Michael. Not easy to deal with, in a sport that is rarely a level playing field.

Edit; maybe what your wife said was funny at the time and in context, but it just sounded crass and disrespectful in your comment

Edited Apr 29, 2019