Forums Latest Members
  1. saulgoodman Oct 16, 2019

I know there are many space nerds on this forum. It often comes with the territory of being a Speedmaster owner. You should definitely check out the Podcast "13 Minutes to the Moon". It is a very well done 12 episode series that focuses on the 13 minutes from the time the Apollo 11 lunar module Eagle began its powered descent to the moon, to the time it landed. It is filled with interviews of the people involved, and it provides some excellent insight into how it really went down. Enjoy!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w13xttx2

2. BradleyJ. Oct 16, 2019

Well I am out of material and I commute 2 hours each day so thanks for the suggestion. Added it to my playlist and I'll give it a go when I leave work at midnight.

3. Dsloan Oct 16, 2019

I concur with this recommendation. I really enjoyed the breakdown they did of all the radio chatter during the landing - it's mind boggling to hear everyone calming coordinating so many complex tasks during those pivotal 13 minutes. Also, the episode on Apollo one is gut wrenching.

4. jsducote Oct 17, 2019

Semi-off-topic, but have you tried Make Me Smart and Hidden Brain from APM and NPR, respectively? My commute consists of Marketplace, Marketplace Tech, Morning Edition and All Things Considered and I love the weekly extras when MMS and HB drop.

BradleyJ. likes this.
  5. melanieux Oct 17, 2019

This sounds really cool - thanks for the tip!
    I've been looking for more space/Apollo 11 related things to read. I just picked up a bunch of old Nat Geo's with space themes to read. This will fit right in :)

Shankified likes this.
  6. BradleyJ. Oct 17, 2019

I'll give it a go. I keep getting recommendations and find myself board at the topics so anything is worth a try.

Side note, I listened to episode 1 last night on my ride home and the podcast is very well done. I found myself rewinding a few spots where its very hard to hear the apollo crew or Huston. Obviously not the narrators fault but he does recap what was said so that help too

7. saulgoodman Oct 17, 2019

Right? By the time you get to the episode where the entire 13 minutes are played without interruption the series has imparted so much insight that your understanding of the transmissions is enhanced tremendously. Also, as the series develops it is interesting to note how Hollywood’s depictions of the significant moments of the space program have taken license with the events to fit story telling needs. It is refreshing to get an insider‘s perspective of the way things really happened.

Edited Oct 17, 2019
    Dsloan likes this.
  8. BradleyJ. Nov 5, 2019

So I gave HB and MMS a shot. Absolutely love HB. Been going down the line each morning on my commute and I just can't get enough Haha. Last weekend me and the wife to a drive north thru the mountains and I suggested an episode.... she seemed to love it too. By the end of our 6 hours in the car that day, we listened to at least 4 alone (her idea to keep playing episodes)

Now for MMS. I'm not super sold yet. I haven't found that connection with the hosts which I feel is important to be fascinated by a podcast. We are talking about the show hosted by Kai and Molly correct? To be fair I listed to 2 episodes and wasnt completely sold so I switched to HB and have been locked on that since. I'll definitely give MMS a fair chance when I have time but I wanted to make sure I have the right show first.

As for 13 minutes, very well done as I said a few weeks ago. There was a lot I knew, a lot I didn't understand until listening to that specific podcast, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone with any interest in space flight.

9. jsducote Nov 5, 2019

In retrospect, I can see how MMS relies on a certain familiarity with the hosts. I've listened to Kai's separate "Marketplace" and Molly's "Marketplace Tech" reports for years so their personalities and banter is a known-quantity for me. It's also more time-sensitive as they talk about events of the last week, so it's harder (tho not impossible) to go back to older episodes. If it's not your cuppa, no harm, no foul. Glad you both enjoyed HB.

BradleyJ. likes this.
  10. saulgoodman Dec 15, 2019

Update
    Update. Here’s another podcast for you Apollo/Space nerds. This one is also excellent. It does have a decidedly American point of view. I highly recommend it.

https://billwhittle.com/category/shows/firewall/apollo-11/

11. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Mar 14, 2020

10 years ago the world lost Robert McCall, probably the best space artist since the beginning of the spaceflight era.
    Robert McCall made many sketches in-situ during Apollo activities and painted the amazing murals seen at NASA sites and the National Air & Space Museum in washington D.C.
    He was also a fan of the Omega Speedmaster as can be seen on these webpages: http://www.mccallstudios.com/the-artist/
    1975: ASTP crews pose in front of Robert McCall artwork depicting the docking between Apollo & Soyuz spacecraft
    1975_ASTP_RobertMcCall_S75-24030.jpg

12. Dsloan Mar 16, 2020

Also, the 13-minutes team just started releasing a new series in Apollo 13!

madjestikmoose likes this.
  13. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Mar 21, 2020

comes with a mini Omega Speedmaster
    :D

14. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Mar 24, 2020

Due to the extremely calm period due to COVID-19 measures, I was asked & invited to join Facebook... something I kept off for the last 15 years...
    I relented and joined in order to participate in the accomplishment of a spreadsheet with ALL wristwatches ever worn on ALL spaceflight missions
    Feel free to join the SWFG - Space Watches Facebook Group
    :whistling:
    SpaceWatches.jpg

15. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Mar 26, 2020

16. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Apr 15, 2020

Space Nerds quiz:
    1. Which was the first manned mission to witness a Solar eclips from space ?
    2. Which was the first manned mission to wear a personal mission patch ?
    3. Which was the first crew to use a spacecraft that couldn't return to Earth ?
    :unsure:

17. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Nov 9, 2020

Almost reaching 3600 posts, the moment at which I'll take an internet break, and no takers on the above space nerds quiz, I'll launch another one !
    Questions getting harder from 1 to 5 ...
    ;)
    What's the prize ?
    He or She who gets the most questions right by December 2020, will receive a little surprise & free magazine with my " Time Peace " article
    ::book::
    2020 Space Nerds quiz:
    1. Which was the first crew to use a spacecraft that couldn't return to Earth ?
    2. Which Apollo-era astronaut had an identical twin brother ?
    3. What's the oldest watch carried aboard a spaceflight mission ? (Bonus: which mission)
    4. What's the exact origin of the expression " Eyes on the Stars " ?
    5. Which spaceflight mission was launched to the ISS without the crewmembers wearing any Omega wristwatches ?
    ::popcorn::