Forums Latest Members

For those in between holes using the factory deployant

1. bruin20 Feb 10, 2020

Just want to make a PSA for those who are in between holes on their straps that use the OEM deployant.

I have an Apollo 8 and have never been able to use the factory strap that comes with the ceramic pin buckle between the holes are too far apart and it is either too tight or way too loose. I decided to spend the money and get the ceramic/titanium deployant clasp along with the matching factory black and yellow leather strap to go with it.

It arrived and I installed it to find that again the strap was either slightly too tight or way too loose. Looking closely I noticed that the strap stack height was very tall given the layers. Outer leather attached to deployant, the deployant itself, then inner tucked end. I realized that for every mm you trim off the inner tucked end you actually free up space within the inner band itself.

I then started to clip the strap down until it was a perfect fit as there was less and less tucked inner end to take up interior space. Trimmed it down now to be a perfect fit.

gerrya, Hands90 and Fickle like this.
  2. RARJ Feb 11, 2020

Did you find a way to "seal" or stitch the end of the inner strap so that it doesn't fall apart on you? Any pics you can share?

3. bruin20 Feb 11, 2020

The strap is rubber in its core with leather glued on either side. I ended up just using a metal file to smooth the edge and round it off as much as I can. May come back in later with gorilla glue and seal it but it looks like it will hold permanently without it.

I’ll try to post some pictures next time I’m at my desktop and take a few.

4. bama2141 Feb 11, 2020

I guess the less “destructive” way to achieve the same basic result would be to add a small bit of thickness under the watch head or the deployant — like a bit of moleskin or similar cushioned adhesive pad. I’m similarly between strap notches.

Foo2rama likes this.
  5. Donn Chambers Feb 11, 2020

I just punch an extra hole with a leather punch. I’ve never had one fail, and that is a lot less destructive than snipping a chunk of the strap off!

6. borre Feb 11, 2020

Pictures or it didn't happen ;)