Forums Latest Members
  1. whiteyfisk Aug 24, 2019

Hello

I've got a late 60s Seamaster 611 that has been getting condensation under the glass, mainly when I wear it under a shirt sleeve on hot or humid days. The condensation leaves on its own within a couple hours or days.

When I got the watch a year ago I had it serviced and had the caseback gasket replaced, so Im assuming either moisture is getting in through the stem seal or its got moisture in the case that forms condensation under some conditions.

I can either get a full service done or try to fix it myself (spin off the back and leave it in rice for a few days), or if this is common and sometimes unavoidable on vintage watches learn to live with it (though non of my others have this issue). Looking for advice on which route to go from other watch owners?

Thank you

2. wsfarrell Aug 24, 2019

This is not good for the watch. I'd have a watchmaker dry it out, replace seals, and pressure-test it.

3. MRC Aug 24, 2019

Get it checked. But not with the watchmaker who did the last "service". Most of my watches are 40-55 years old but the only one that ever shows condensation is a 20+ year old Seiko, probably was breathed heavily on during a battery change.

4. JwRosenthal Aug 24, 2019

If your watchmaker just replaced the rear seal and didn’t replace the entire crown-it’s most likely getting moisture from your sweat or hand washing spray through there. Many collectors here scream bloody murder or dismiss a watch as lesser if the crown has been replaced but this is SOP for Omegas as the captured rubber gasket inside the crown hardens with time.
    As was said before, have a watchmaker dry it out ASAP, (if you can’t do it any time soon-I would go with your rice idea) and replace the crown with a proper factory replacement and keep the original in case you ever want to sell it. Also, if the case has any pitting around the rear, it’s questionable if the seal with keep moisture out. Some watchmakers may lay a thin bead of silicone under the gasket to make a better seal and this can help with daily sweat/ hand washing but i wouldn’t trust it to be waterproof without a real pressure test.

5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 24, 2019

I don’t wear vintage in the summer.

Tubber, rbob99 and JwRosenthal like this.
  6. Walrus Aug 24, 2019

That is a good idea. It gets extremely humid in my area that is the only time I have issues

7. JwRosenthal Aug 24, 2019

Yeah, I tend to avoid wearing the vintage on the gross or potentially steamy tropical storm days. I got caught out in a torrent wearing a vintage Elgin- which is “waterproof” with fresh rear seal, and I was wearing a long sleeve shirt, but my damp skin and shirt were enough to get a little fog. Dried it out fast and it was ok, but I avoid the older ones now on those kind of days

8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 24, 2019

No amount of seal work is going to make an old watch moisture proof. Crowns are the weakest point. The only vintage I trust are my 5513 / 1675 which were recently serviced and pressure tested. Still they never go sailing.

9. whiteyfisk Aug 24, 2019

I see. Im in great lakes area so not exactly tropical but can be humid

10. Mac5 Aug 25, 2019

Pull the crown out and use the *cool* setting on the hair dryer. I've had to do this and it works very well.

11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 25, 2019

Get it fixed by a watchmaker.
    Live in tropical Northern Australia and its as humid as hell in the October to March part of the year and have never had any of my vintage watches get condensation.

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 25, 2019

As long as the case isn’t corroded, a vintage watch that was originally water resistant can be made so again.

Larry S likes this.
  13. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 25, 2019

Point taken, but at these prices, better safe than sorry. I have more trust on rainy days with those that I have had serviced. My watchmaker assures me that my 5513 and 1675 are safe to dunk, no way I’m doing that. UG, my 13.33z, and the older more dressy stuff only see cool dry weather. This I have learned through experience including asking a hotel for a baggie of rice.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 26, 2019

Just understand that there's a difference between essentially "it can't be done" as you initially indicated, and "I choose not to risk it" as your next post indicates. It's certainly up to each individual to decide what risks they are comfortable with when wearing vintage watches, but I restore water resistance to vintage watches all the time, so it clearly can be done if the case is in good condition (at least if a watchmaker knows what they are doing).

Cheers, Al

Larry S and JwRosenthal like this.