Forums Latest Members
  1. pnwyankee Feb 20, 2020

I am a very infrequent flyer.
    Might be on an airplane for two trips a year at most.
    Any concerns with wearing an expensive watch while flying?
    Are the X-Ray machines a problem?
    Any chance at problems related to magnetization if your watch is on your wrist on in your carry on bag?
    Thanks.

2. Jokr Feb 20, 2020

Shouldn't be a problem. But I'd try to keep it on the wrist. There are some stories about watches being stolen while going through the security check.

vbrad26 likes this.
  3. vbrad26 Feb 20, 2020

No concerns as long as it is on my wrist the entire time.
    Even through the x-ray. Never had an apparent problem...
    Are you asking about any particular watch?

SpeedyPhill likes this.
  4. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Feb 20, 2020

OP meant passenger on a jetliner, so during customs checks, just put Your watch in Your computer bag... a,d put back on after checks.
    But here's some serious soaring/flying with the wristwatch coming close to the cockpit edge

TwinPeaks, jjm3uk, noelekal and 6 others like this.
  5. wagudc Feb 20, 2020

Don't they make you take it off to go through the metal detector?

6. VjaceCZ Feb 20, 2020

I’m always putting the watch inside my laptop bag, way before I approach the security check...

garryap17 and Foo2rama like this.
  7. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Feb 20, 2020

I work at an Airport and go through these machines every day. 50% of the time (ish) I have to remove watch and put through separately. I wear all my watches on rotation at various times and have never had a problem with any of them. I would share the theft concern through passenger areas but I just hide my watch in hand luggage/lap top bag.

noelekal likes this.
  8. 140dave Feb 20, 2020

Same here, in my possession but not on the wrist for metal detectors.

9. vbrad26 Feb 20, 2020

Nope.
    Have not had an issue wearing it in a body scanner or through a metal detector.
    Last few airports I can think of being at and not taking it off are Tampa, Dallas, Chicago, Baltimore, Jackson (Mississippi).
    I'm sure I can throw a few more in there but those are the only ones I can think of in the last couple of years.

10. killer67 Feb 20, 2020

Don’t put it loose in a bin - store in carry on pocket or personal/computer bag

noelekal likes this.
  11. mjb Feb 20, 2020

I put a Rolex in a bin and walked off without it once. I was putting on my shoes before I realized it.

Fortunately, most people are honest and it was still in the bin when I went back. Pfhew!

Can you say "dumbass"?

Now, I never take it off. If it beeps me going through the machine, I let them wand me. Better than losing a multi-thousand dollar watch.

cineaste, marco and DaveK like this.
  12. BradleyJ. Feb 20, 2020

Never had an issue with magnetism. As for do you have to take it off to go thru... you can't argue that some airports make you take it off or don't. I fly 3 or 4 times a year and the last trip alone I was told it had to come off both in Boston and Orlando. The trip before that I flew the same route and was specifically told that I could leave it on in Boston and again told to take it off in orlando. It's a crap shoot. I bought one of these inexpensive watch holders on amazon and clip it onto something on the inside of my carry on just so it's that much harder to "grab and walk away with". Honestly I try to just take it off and store it every time, but when I forget to, that's when I'm reminded to leave it on or remove it from TSA.

20200220_132507.jpg
    Katana likes this.
  13. Dan S Feb 20, 2020

Like @vbrad26, I always wear my watch through security and have never had a problem. It's pretty clear to TSA that you have a watch on your wrist when it shows up in the mm-wave screening or even in the metal detector. If it's covered by your sleeve, they may ask to see it after you go through screening, just to verify that the metal showing up on your wrist is actually a watch. So just keep it visible and you'll have no problem. If you're at all concerned, just put it in your carry-on, but I'd rather keep it with me if its valuable.

Motik, Larry S, Pun and 2 others like this.
  14. Eve Feb 20, 2020

Nice! Ive been paragliding for more that 13 years. It takes a bit more effort to cover a 100+km distance though :)
    Now that i see your video i a bit tempted to try this as well :) :thumbsup: maybe one day...

Dash1 and SpeedyPhill like this.
  15. TDBK Feb 20, 2020

I fly way too much.

Usually a watch won't trigger the metal detector but sometimes it will; jurisdictions and machines vary. Waiting for a wand-down / pat-down can be a pain, so I tend to send my watch through the X-ray machine if I'm wearing one on bracelet. I don't let my watch go through loose in a tray or bowl for theft, accident, and forgetfulness concerns; instead I tuck it into a bag or a zippered jacket pocket.

Also, doing this from the start means I have more control: I've had agents instruct me to send my watch through the X-ray after the metal detector alarms, and at that point it's too late to get it tucked away in a bag.

Since this has come up before: neither X-ray machines, metal detectors, nor millimeter scanners will magnetize your watch.

gostang9 likes this.
  16. Omegafanman Feb 20, 2020

I have never had problems / I think scratches are your biggest risk as long as you stay inside the aircraft.... I think Ceramic is a good way to go.....

IMG_1144 - Copy.JPG IMG_1167 - Copy.JPG IMG_1134 - Copy.JPG
    00Duck and noelekal like this.
  17. Faz Feb 20, 2020

Never had an issue and I never took off my watch to go through X-ray machines.

fraglerock likes this.
  18. fraglerock Feb 20, 2020

Same here. Though I pretty much only wear the Nomos when I travel as I'm too scared to wear the others with higher values.

wagudc likes this.
  19. NYCwatchgal Feb 20, 2020

I usually fly through LGA or JFK. I've had my watches on and in my carry-on bag. No issues.

I tend to wear my IWC Pilot more because of the "soft-iron inner case for protection against magnetic fields."

20. KeithS Feb 20, 2020

I used to take my watch off and put it in the bin all the time. Then, maybe a year ago, I read a thread either here or over on TRF that said most people just leave their watch on. So for the past year (which included some 40 domestic and 4 international flights), I’ve just left my watch on and have never been asked to take it off.

Omegafanman and kkt like this.