Forums Latest Members
  1. ArtVandlay Dec 15, 2018

Another yes for the SKX.

94E39D86-4D1D-4AF1-BBAE-94615EC2E108.jpeg
  2. Muddlerminnow Dec 15, 2018

C'mon over and try some cane! While I like graphite for certain waters, especially 7 weights and up, I find cane is more nuanced for 5s, and I can feel the line loading better--. Inside of 45-50 feet, I have more control with cane. And while Winstons are classics in their own way, good bamboo has the same cachet of that Rolex you mention. The trick is to avoid junk because there's a lot of bad bamboo out there--as well as many frankenrods, and rods with scarfed tips, and so on. You have to do you homework with rods, just like watches--though there's less outright fraud with bamboo, because the market is so small. The good thing is that if you're buying from one of the handful of bamboo dealers out there, like Per Brandin, you have return privileges within five days--so if the rod's not to your liking, it can go back (minus the shipping charges, of course).

ptfly likes this.
  3. makaria indica Dec 15, 2018

A thread on Omega forums, with Bara, sails and Tibor reels, Now where talking....
    Having spent a life time on the water, Under the water or beside the water, the seiko would be my pick, basic tool watch that takes a kicking and keeps on ticking. I had managed twenty plus years out of my last one before upgrading to a sea master.

Sorry no watch in action photos, just a switch and tease light line Black...

IMG_0589.jpg

Foo2rama, ptfly and Muddlerminnow like this.
  4. Muddlerminnow Dec 15, 2018

Seikos seem to be getting a lot of votes here--thanks--but the fish seem all over the place--that's a pretty nice Marlin, watch or no watch, bait or fly--you don't get too many chances to wrangle with them.

Art, what were you trolling for with your downrigger? Lakers? Cohos? I like the watch, but less so the Nato strap--I don't like anything the fly line or net might catch on--so the lower the profile on the strap, the better.

5. ptfly Dec 15, 2018

I left the huge variety of fly fishing options 19 years ago when I left PA. On some of the great streams there I can definitely see a nice bamboo rod being perfect.
    Once I moved to the state of large tailwaters and huge trout I sold off most of my steelhead and 9 wt+ rods. Gave away my shorter or lighter rods.
    These days a 5 wt 9 or 10 foot rod with a softer tip to cushion light tippets is my goal.
    I have been thinking about a little bone fishing trip though. I prefer sight fishing and stalking.