Forums Latest Members
  1. Muddlerminnow Dec 14, 2018

What is it that makes a good fishing watch?

I've been a fly fisherman for over 40 years and I'm just now getting into watches. I hate the idea of taking a phone out while fishing, especially in pocket water—I like things deliberate and methodological—and hand winding a manual suits me well. I use a watch on the water all the time--timing hatches, the walk out at dusk, and all kinds of related things. But I need to maybe rethink the idea of a 'fishing watch'--which needs to be waterproof, easy to read in all kinds of weather, take a beating (if you're not falling sometimes you're not really fishing) and have a relatively low profile. For decades I have been using a modest but reliable Victorinox Swiss Army watch my wife bought me in the mid 1990s (I mentioned it in the 'lost watch' thread)--but it's now time for something else. When trout fishing I am usually fishing vintage split bamboo rods from the 1950s and 1960s--Payne, Thomas, and Paul Young--so my aesthetic leans towards unembellished functionality.

I tie flies a lot too—so I am somewhat predisposed to nuanced details

If anyone has ideas for good fishing watches, please share them--with pics, thanks.

2. MikeMan2727 Dec 14, 2018

There are a few microbrand watches that were just released, which might suit your needs. The Meraud Bonaire and Baltic Aquascaphe are two that come to mind.

Both have 200m water resistance, rotating bezels that you can use for timing, and designs based on 50s and 60s skin divers.

Meraud Bonaire:
    Screen Shot 2018-12-14 at 8.22.15 PM.png

Baltic Aquascaphe:
    Screen Shot 2018-12-14 at 8.22.47 PM.png

Larry S, jaguar11 and Muddlerminnow like this.
  3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 14, 2018

You're lucky, we just happen to have an adjunct staff fishing watch expert on OF. I am sure volunteer game and watch warden @STANDY will be along to help you

STANDY likes this.
  4. Muddlerminnow Dec 14, 2018

The Baltic and Meraud both look nice, thanks--remind me of the 120s--but they are so new too, not sure how they will stand up? Ordering seems a little tricky just now too....

Glad to know there's a fishing watch expert here on OF--I look forward to his expertise is due course....

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 14, 2018

Have a few dedicated fishing watches.

The one that stands out and needs to be tried on. ( if I could only have one fishing watch this would be it, the cheapest and lightest and on a two piece NATO style they sit quiet close to the wrist.)
    Light, easy to read, light as a feather and sturdy as needed. The two straps that come with these are top shelf. Below and a NATO
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Taken off with slimy fishing gear this has been through the heavy wash cycle in a washing machine twice and you wouldn't pick it
    ( great bit is being Quartz every time the battery gets changed it comes back pressure tested also )

Next is a trusty Seiko image.jpeg

image.jpeg
    Then we have the titanium PVD
    TCM orienteering with solar Compas. ( great when offshore as a backup ) image.jpeg image.jpeg

Then we have the shark proof, built like a tank jump of a cliff style

image.jpeg image.jpeg

But hey as long as it's at least 50meters waterproof any watch is a fishing watch

image.jpeg

TAG Link
    image.jpeg

Edited Dec 14, 2018
  6. Muddlerminnow Dec 15, 2018

Thanks for the great suggestions!-(and also some nice fish!)--the Seiko seems great for trout fishing, it's more muted--. I'm not sure about the orange dial on the LumiNox, when you're fly fishing your passive hand is in constant motion and you want to avoid any unnatural flash--especially where the trout are hyperaware, like in NZ. I forgot to add that one of the requirements of a good watch on the river is not being afraid to bust it or lose it--and the Seiko seems to fall into that category.

On the other hand--boats. Different ball game.

I can see times when a Speedy would be nice to have--like below, flyfishing for Pacific sails off the coast of Guatemala. These fish are fast--they can go from 0- to over 100kph lickety split--and it would be nice to time those splits as you race into your backing--it happens in mere seconds and before you know it the fish is 250m out and headed for Australia.

PC290288.JPG

PC290293.JPG

Let's hear some more suggestions, please!--I like where this is going....

7. jaguar11 Dec 15, 2018

I don't do fishing but if I did I would wear what I wear most of the time...

image.jpeg
    Vitezi likes this.
  8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 15, 2018

9. Muddlerminnow Dec 15, 2018

Ohhhhh, that Rolex is a nice one--love the soft patina on it--I'd like to think of it as a nice canoeing watch--it would look good on the hand holding a paddle, and dribbling water down your arm.

10. Muddlerminnow Dec 15, 2018

Got it, thanks!

11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 15, 2018

In the automotive world the saying is “The answer is always Miata,” in the watch world “the answer is always SKX”

Tough,dependable, affordable, looks better the more it’s used, great history.

FF42C418-A302-4E17-AD5F-128B3169B57C.jpeg
    Throw on a Nylon Nato and it’s ready for anything you can throw at it.

12. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Dec 15, 2018

13. Muddlerminnow Dec 15, 2018

More good suggestions, thanks--lots of Seiko fans here, it seems? The Casio seems too cheap to be true--do they hold up? Nice fish too btw!

14. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Dec 15, 2018

I bought one, and when I received it, I immediately bought another. Casio will discontinue some watches and I wanted to make sure I had another just in case they did discontinue the model. The first one lasted 4 years? and would have gone further except I messed it up changing the battery. It was thrashed anyway. So, now I am using the second one. Mineral glass crystal, solid stainless case. Very rugged and accurate.

PS read the Amazon reviews.

Muddlerminnow likes this.
  15. ptfly Dec 15, 2018

I have been fly fishing and tying for almost as long as you. I have tried many autos in search of the perfect river watch.
    In the end I found the gshock 5610 to be perfect for me. It might be my only non-mechanical in the collection and certainly the cheapest. I
    It is not big. It is very light weight. I don't have to worry about winding or getting it wet. Even the rubber straps I used before always got nasty from sunscreen. I can just take a soft toothbrush to this one. A bonus for me is the synced time zone function which is nice when I fly somewhere to fish.
    I never thought I would buy a casio but this thing works for the river. I am constantly trying to reduce the weight of my vest and this fits with that goal.
    The only other purpose of this piece of plastic is for mowing and tending to the yard. It is great for that too.
    The only dig I hv with it is you need to be very careful with deet bug spray. It will eat the watch face just like it will eat your fly line.
    Tight lines.

16. Muddlerminnow Dec 15, 2018

Oh, great advice, thanks--you are so right about DEET, that stuff totally messes up the varnish on cane rods and fly lines alike--and in the Adirondacks in June, you really need a serious repellent. I wonder how it might effect plastic bezels? And your point about plastic watch faces is a good one to keep in mind--so hmmmmm, this is helping me narrow choices a lot.

17. ptfly Dec 15, 2018

I carry these little pouches with a bug spray towelette that are individual use. Orange package, forgot the name. If I spray deet on myself I do it away from my sunglasses, watch and rod.
    The little towelettes are much more precise and I rinse my hands well before touching the fly line.
    Another reason to fish in fall/winter. No mosquitoes!
    The sqaure gshock is small enough to slip under my cuff. I tend to wear Long sleeve shirts on the river in summer too. Got tired of paying for my dermatologist's kids college tuitions.

18. Muddlerminnow Dec 15, 2018

Ben's 100? I use that stuff a lot, but the liquid form--not the towelette (which becomes a disposal problem)--and never ever any aerosol spray, which puts DEET everywhere you don't want it--. I've been on the river at times when I would smell other fishermen before I saw them, the stench of the spray wafting across and down the river. Any aerosol with a solvent ("inert" component) is going to be bad for watches--whether it's bug spray or sunscreen.

ptfly likes this.
  19. Stufflers Mom Dec 15, 2018

Catch of the day.

61r+JO90DJL._UX510_.jpg

w154 likes this.
  20. ptfly Dec 15, 2018

That is it! I almost ran upstairs to my vest/bench to dig one out. I find that I can use one and put it in a very small ziplock bag and use it over and over. Sometimes if they dry out a bit I just put it under my hat for the treacherous walk out of the river where the little bastards like to gang up on me.
    Honestly for the full heritage combo of cane and watch a vintage submariner can't be beat. But I have decided to stick with my winston graphite and plastic watch for now. That is subject to change down the road.
    I do enjoy matching the time piece to the occasion. Gives me more excuses to buy more.