First Vintage Omega Purchase: Watch Advice

Hi all

First time poster, and navigating the forum so please feel free to be candid in your responses and call out if my post is in the wrong place and if it lacks the required detail!

Currently prospecting a watch I have found on Ebay (I know, probably not the smartest move with such little knowledge of the vintage watches). I'll be honest, I do not love the watch, I just saw the price seems reasonable and wanted to dip my feet in the vintage watch water and in the process learn a thing or two. The listing has very little info about the watch:

"Vintage omega bumper watch. Condition is "Pre-owned". Shipped with USPS First Class. Works and runs just fine by twisting the crown a few rotations. Date adjusts properly as well. It ran from full wind-up close to 48 hours. Over 24 hours it was odd around 15 seconds. This was purchased at an estate sale. It has not been adjusted. I threw away the old (not Omega) watch band and cleaned it, but that’s all. Great watch for someone to get a new band and have it properly adjusted by a jeweler."

A couple of questions for the forum:
What do you all think of the authenticity of the watch? I know it is probably difficult to discern with the pictures that have been provided but was curious as to if the dial, hands, crown, movement all check out

How much would you typically look to pay for such a watch with so little information listed? Or would you typically steer clear?

I appreciate your time, it really does mean a lot. Hopefully in the not so distant future, I can contribute to these discussions.

Welcome to the forum, nice first post.

The watch is genuine.

Crown is a replacement, dial looks OK-ish, movement is OK for an estate watch.

Case shows wear and damage, which unless the watch is really cheap, like $100, it would make it a pass for me.

Welcome to the forum. One of the worst things that folks who are new to the sport do is to buy garbage because they don’t yet know any better, so congrats on avoiding that with your post. Another pitfall is to buy everything in sight until your watch box is full and you realize that you’ve wasted your money $100 at a time. I guarantee that you will be happier with a nice competent first watch, even if it’s not an omega, than you will by buying a crappy Omega that you’ll always regret. What’s your budget? There are nice pieces that pop up here on a few threads, especially https://omegaforums.net/forums/private-watch-sales/ and https://omegaforums.net/threads/rec...tage-new-deals-on-ebay-other-auctions.113139/

With that said, my first watch was a $25 thrift shop chrome cased watch, and it’s one of my favourites, so what do I know...

And, this watch is not a “...bumper watch.” It is a manual wind watch, whereas a bumper watch has an early kind of automatic winding mechanism which could potentially carry a slight price premium compared to manual wind.

To be generous to the seller, this inaccurate description could be due to a copy and paste error rather than an intent to deceive.
Edited:

The plating is on its way out on the lugs where the springbars / Band connect. Last pics show that. Still nice to wear, but harder to re sell. I'd expect more damage with personal inspection. Apart from that: why not? US $ 250 plus shipment to Oz is 50 plus GST 10%, around A$ 450-500 landed here. You might loose A$ 100 in future re selling. But, it's a start in a fun journey. Any other expenses, like a service for A$ 200, might not be re couped later..... Kind regards. Achim

Wow, @X350 XJR, @DaveK , @watchyouwant, @Jones in LA thank you all for your feedback/ advice - I truly appreciate it. I think I will opt to hold off for now. At the end of the day the purchase will be a 'punt' and I do not have a real yearning to have this watch. I definitely need to familiarise myself further with the going 'value' of particular references.

@DaveK In my (very) brief stint looking into vintage watches I have been very much drawn to the Seamaster Chronometres (2577 is a reference I love the look of) as well as the constellation references with the pie pan dials. My budget for a first vintage watch is around 1500AUD which equates to around 1100USD. Based on this, If you had any references you recommend I do some research on, I am all ears! I will also be sure to take a look at the links provided - thanks for this.

I am about to embark on a journey down a rabbit hole!

Hi AnotherAussie,
Don't forget that if buy overseas there is a customs fee and GST to be added as well as the loss on the exchange rate .
LuckyLes

If you are going for a vintage on an Omega, would recommend going for a stainless steel over a gold plated one. The wear on the case could get worse esp if you are not careful and knock the watch around. That said, if you are a big fan of the gold colour, you may consider a gold capped one, or even a gold filled one, that would be way more lasting.

For this specific watch, the overall watch is decent, but i would not pay more than 150 USD or so for it. After factoring in a replacement crown (if you are particular) and servicing if needed as well as the tax/shipping it may make this piece overpriced.

I think you can slowly hunt for a better piece at a lower price point. If you could find an omega with a bumper movement, it would be nice but bear in mind that it is generally harder to service and find parts for it. I personally like the feel of a bumper movement on the wrist because it actually reminds you that you have a watch on from the movement of the rotor. End of the day, don't just settle on a piece just because it is "cheap", pay a little more for unique features like Arabic/arrow markers, dauphine hands etc. Omegas are really fun and come in a wide variety of variants so explore further before you commit to buy.

I am not an expert, just a huge fan of vintage watches (my collection is 100% vintage) and just offering my two cents 😉

[QUOTE="AnotherAussie, post: 1724341, member: 75948]
...I am about to embark on a journey down a rabbit hole![/QUOTE]

Ha ha, yes you are.

If that watch posted above was inherited from your favourite uncle, I’d say get it serviced and wear it with pride. Since you admittedly don’t really like it, then know that your budget is healthy enough to get something really nice (I don’t have any recommendations unfortunately). The watch that @Spruce posted is a good one to look at for sure. If you don’t find anything, then keep looking and when you can, adding to the budget. The goal is not to spend the most money, but to get the nicest example that your budget allows. Enjoy the journey

Hi all - just thought I would provide a little update.

As per your advice, I refrained from impulsively purchasing the first omega I found on ebay. Instead I have been doing due diligence and thoroughly perusing the forums. However, I was hellbent on getting something on my wrist...

Thought I'd show off my little Tissot Seastar that came today, which I can proudly say is my very first watch. It popped up on one of the ebay threads linked by @DaveK - thanks for this mate. I can see how this can become an obsession... the sweeping second hand of an automatic is beautiful.

Again thanks all for the input and enjoy the rest of the week.