Forums Latest Members

First vintage Omega - please help me narrow it down

1. Dan S Feb 14, 2020

I think this is a bit complex actually, and it really depends on your wrist. With cushion and rectangular cases, the left-to-right measurement really doesn't give a good indication of the size of the watch because the diagonal is larger. On the other hand, the C-shape cases have pretty short lugs, to they're not very large in the lug-to-lug direction. It would be good if you could try one of them on.

phcollard likes this.
  2. lindo Feb 14, 2020

The C-shape Constellations are a good way in to collecting. The Japanese one you found is a nice example and the company is sound (I have bought several Constellations from them and have been happy with them all). However you might like to hang out for one with a contemporary bracelet and white gold fluted bezel, like this. I think the C-shapes look better with their family of Omega bracelets than on a leather band - but that is a personal view of course.

s-l1600-1 2.jpg

3. kkt Feb 14, 2020

Weren't all the Constellations by 1969 automatics? I'm not really sure if phcollard was set on a manual wind or just suggested it as possibly less expensive.

Constellations are great, but they do sell for a bit of a premium over other models - Seamasters and Geneves and no-model-name might fit the requirements equally well and stay under budget.

phcollard likes this.
  4. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 14, 2020

Make sure your watch doesn’t beat faster!

phcollard likes this.
  5. Patrik83 Feb 15, 2020

Maybe a 166.023 / 166.032 could be something for you. Can also be found from -69.

[​IMG]
    (not my watch)

janice&fred and phcollard like this.
  6. Leeroy Feb 15, 2020

Hello from fellow newbie!
    I was in exactly the same place as you, wanting an Omega birth watch. The Constellation C case won hands down. Not the most collectable which makes them more affordable. As a child of the 70's I love the styling. If you like them go for it, you won't regret it.
    IMG_20200215_131333~2.jpg

Edited Feb 15, 2020
  7. JwRosenthal Feb 15, 2020

C-case owner as well- they are not as demanded as the Pie-pans or earlier Connies so still some bargains to be had (although they are picking up steam as the later mid- century modern watches are getting popular). And they can go either way for dressy (on leather) or sporty (bracelet).
    5CD3E4A7-C87F-4322-B70C-CFD0606F253F.jpeg

On the issue of size- it’s all dependent on how you wear it. In the warmer months I tend to wear my larger watches, 38-42 with my sleeves rolled up. But in the cooler months those watches get caught on sleeves and can actually be a pain. I find the slimmer and smaller watches much more comfortable under long sleeves or sweaters (no wrist tumor under wool) and will wear watches as small as 32mm without even noticing the size as the peek from under the sleeve.
    If you wear smaller watches for a few days (32-35), they begin to feel perfectly normal-
    you adjust. Then slap on a 42 and you feel like your wearing a dinner plate.
    And for reference- this one is 34.5, one of my favorites for long sleeve weather

A654706A-522E-440C-A49B-5B33EDA761CF.jpeg

Leeroy, wagudc, DaveK and 3 others like this.
  8. phcollard Feb 16, 2020

Dear Forum! What do you thing of this 168.0061? Case has seen better days and there's a bit of corrosion on the hands but at least the dial looks clean, as well as the movement? Asking price is $650.

vintage_sm01.jpg vintage_sm02.jpg vintage_sm03.jpg
  9. Dan S Feb 16, 2020

Looks like an honest piece, and I will take a few scratches and dings over a poorly polished/refinished case. Here, the original finish is largely preserved, which is nice.

These 4-digit calibers have something of a mixed reputation with collectors and I have never owned one, but my sense is that they are well-made and functional, although perhaps a bit less aesthetically appealing than their predecessors. As a result, they can be a good value.

DaveK, JwRosenthal and phcollard like this.
  10. Kargol Feb 16, 2020

I agree with the above mentioned c case constellation. It’s a classy watch and still looks like new.
    Try spending some weeks watching what’s on sale .
    Also you can find cosmics and dynamics in this forum which are on sale near your birth year, and much below your budget.

phcollard likes this.
  11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 16, 2020

All Constellations, from the first one in 1952, are automatics.
    gatorcpa

OMEGuy, phcollard and kkt like this.
  12. janice&fred Feb 16, 2020

or quartz :D

13. shah@123 Feb 16, 2020

really i have not found one?

14. phcollard Feb 18, 2020

'evening gentlemen

I follow this forum every day. You guys are such a gold mine of information, that's amazing. Imagine if you could write a collective book on vintage Omega watches, that would be awesome.

Back to my quest if you don't mind. I read another thread where @Spruce mentions cal. 613 Geneve and that they have a more contemporary look and wearability.

How about his one? It's cheap, it's manual wind, it's 35mm and it's my birth year. Case looks unpolished but there is some corrosion (or is it just gunk?) on the back. What do you think?

Thank you SO much in advance for your help.

Gen_front.jpg Gen_back.jpg Gen_mov.jpg
  15. OMEGuy Feb 18, 2020

Here are my thoughts:

Ref. 136.041? Looks legit and basically nice. The dial appears clean, apart from some tiny spots.

The crown is wrong.

The dirt on the back looks like dirt, not like corrosion. The watch hasn't been worn very often but case and back have been refinished non-expertly. This watch has been worn on a leather strap since purchase.

The movement looks good, but might need a service.

What's the price?

16. phcollard Feb 18, 2020

Dang you have such an eye for details OMEGuy, sure enough when I compare to other watches of the same reference: the crown is not original.

Thank you very much for your thoughts.

Asking price is $300. I know it's probably a bit too enthusiastic, and I have to factor in the cost of service. But would you say it's an OK purchase for a beginner?

OMEGuy likes this.
  17. OMEGuy Feb 18, 2020

Yep. If you really like it and you are aware of the weak points, go for it. You can't do much wrong with that price IMO.

And I'm looking forward to seeing you back once you've done the deal, posting some more pictures, now, that we have talked so much about watches... ;)

phcollard likes this.
  18. JwRosenthal Feb 18, 2020

On the topic of original crowns- Omega crowns for waterproof cases have rubber gaskets inside to make the crown tube seal. When they age and lose their ability to seal crown tube, it is common to replace the crown as part of a standard service. Omega has changed the design of many crowns esthetically over time, so when you see “non original crown” that’s not a bad thing as long as it is a factory crown for that reference with a fresh seal. Some hard core collectors insist on an original crown but wearing a vintage watch on the regular with an original crown isn’t wise- you have to assume it’s not waterproof anymore.

HunterJ and phcollard like this.
  19. OMEGuy Feb 18, 2020

Agreed, but this design is off, isn't it?

20. phcollard Feb 18, 2020

Sure I will! Thank you!

OMEGuy likes this.