Forums Latest Members

First vintage Omega - please help me narrow it down

1. phcollard Feb 12, 2020

Greetings, first post ever! I have been a lurker for years and, as you can see, I only recently joined.

I just LOVE Omega watches. I currently own a Bond Seamaster 2541.80 and a brand new Hesalite Speedmaster.

I have always admired the collective knowledge on these forums, and I would like to ask for a bit of help please :)

I am dreaming of owning a vintage Omega, I have spent a lot of hours reading here, spent too much time in the Omega vintage database, but I still have a hard time figuring out what to look for.

Ideally...
    - Silver dial
    - Size about 36mm or larger
    - Manual wind
    - Budget at $700-$800 max., if cheaper I won't complain
    - Bonus point if I can find a 1969, my birth year

I am a newbie so I won't be looking for the rare find, just a solid, reliable, relatively easy to find in good condition and all original Omega.

So do you have a few references that spring to mind?

Thank you so much!

2. stevelovell Feb 12, 2020

Maybe a bit too small for you but I started my vintage Omega collection with a Constellation. 1969 like you are looking for and should be well within your budget.

Samir, Leeroy and phcollard like this.
  3. OMEGuy Feb 12, 2020

Hello and welcome!

I think you will hardly find a watch matching exactly all of your 10 criteria, so maybe you should give a hint what is most important to you or what "ideally" means exactly?

Are you looking mainly for a chrono, a diver's or a dress watch?

Also, most important, what is "vintage" for you and what is "good condition", is the size (> 36 mm) negotiable, is "manual wind" a must?

I recommend you study the private watch sales section here to get an idea of options and pricing.

https://omegaforums.net/forums/private-watch-sales/

Good luck with your search! :)

kkt and DaveK like this.
  4. phcollard Feb 12, 2020

Thank you for your replies Steve and Omeguy!

I have to stay within budget or lower. Chrono and diver are already covered so leaning towards a dress watch. Is a vintage Seamaster still considered a diver though?

Size is important :)

Samir and OMEGuy like this.
  5. phcollard Feb 12, 2020

Here is onePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network that I found interesting, or thisPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network? But I have no idea at all if they are really interesting, or should pass. I have to do more research it seems!

6. Dan S Feb 12, 2020

There is a gorgeous Seamaster for sale in the Private Sale forum right now for $895. It's automatic and a little smaller, but it is really nice.

If it is too small, that's understandable, but in general, you will find plenty of watches that meet your requirement in the private sales forum.

phcollard likes this.
  7. phcollard Feb 12, 2020

Wow yes it IS beautiful indeed. Thanks for the heads up!

8. lindo Feb 12, 2020

I am afraid there is no substitute for just looking until you see something that rings your bells and matches your budget. As for size, 36mm restricts your choice considerably amongst 50s and 60s vintages, as 34-35 is the standard. Having said that, it is astonishing how two watches with the same case diameter can look very different in size. A lot depends on the dial size.

phcollard likes this.
  9. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 12, 2020

Hi there,
    I’m not an Omega expert but if you’re looking larger than 36mm and very good condition a number of models will slightly exceed your stated budget.

Omega Geneve models may fit your budget and other criteria, so might Dynamic models - depending on condition. There’s one currently in the sales forum.

that Seamaster Deville you linked above was nice— but already gone.

Edited Feb 12, 2020
    janice&fred and phcollard like this.
  10. phcollard Feb 12, 2020

That's good advice, thank you. I just setup a Watchrecon bookmark for vintage Omega watches in the private sale section. Drooling over what I see, that's going to be a fun learning evening!

I assume that most sellers here are good guys and purchasing from the forums is a much safer move for a newbie than going through eBay.

11. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 12, 2020

PS you should read @ConElPueblo’s wonderful thread « learn how to fish » and you need to avoid refinished dials.

DaveK likes this.
  12. Dan S Feb 12, 2020

You can search for feedback on a seller in the SELLER PROFILES & REVIEWS sub-forum.

DaveK likes this.
  13. OMEGuy Feb 12, 2020

You seem to have a fine sense for classic and timeless design. Here's the Seamaster of my Grandpa, a ref. 14770 SC-61, which was my very first OMEGA:

14770-61.jpg

DiiQue, Noddyman, Spruce and 3 others like this.
  14. phcollard Feb 12, 2020

^ That's absolutely stunning, thanks for sharing. Makes my heart beat faster :)

OMEGuy likes this.
  15. vicsdca Feb 12, 2020

A Seamaster 30 would match some of your criteria (35.5mm & manual wind):

Omega_Seamaster_30_135.007-64_Men_s_Vintage_Watch_01.jpg

Edited Feb 12, 2020
    DiiQue, JwRosenthal, Spruce and 2 others like this.
  16. lindo Feb 14, 2020

What a beautiful vintage Seamaster. One just like it came up on one of my favoured buying sites this week, and while I was trying to make up my mind (I try to focus on Constellations, not Seamasters), it was sold. Seeing your Grandpa's watch made me realise just how nice that particular model is.

OMEGuy and Syrte like this.
  17. RasmusS89 Feb 14, 2020

As inspiration: I have this early Omega Geneve. Really fond of it, and when I tried it, I found out that it feels a lot larger than those approximately 34,2mm.
    Quite a big difference to my 168.005 Constellation.

2C837932-79A0-462E-80F9-FF5DB48FF3D0.jpeg
    janice&fred, Spruce, Dan S and 3 others like this.
  18. phcollard Feb 14, 2020

Thank you for the inspiration Rasmus, great looking watch!

19. RasmusS89 Feb 14, 2020

Hope you’ll find something great! Best of luck from here.

Anyway reference on the Geneve is 14724 cal.610 I really like the cursive text compared to later Geneves.

20. phcollard Feb 14, 2020

Thank you again Rasmus. I must say discovering vintage Omega watches is quite a journey! Yesterday I spent countless hours on the internet until my eyes burned and I fell asleep :)

Guys, I am really drawn so far by the C-shape Constellations. I know, it doesn't meet my original requirements but as I said it's a journey of discovery!

C-shape cases are about 34mm right? Would you say they wear rather large or rather small?

I spotted a few from a seller in Japan that I have purchased from before. This onePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network looks rather clean? I really love the fluted bezel herePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network but a few stains on the movement make me wonder...

Thoughts?

Edited Feb 14, 2020