Forums Latest Members
  1. Pianoman Apr 22, 2017

Dear all,

Quite recently, I got into my head to purchase a vintage Omega from my father's birthyear (1958) as something to remember him by, and maybe even pass on to my children when the time comes... As with most of my watch-related interests, my search has turned quite obsessive. I've trawled chrono24 and ebay for bargains, but I'm still not sure if what I'm getting is the real deal, even after going through the vintage omega archives trying to find certain references. Here's what I'm looking for:

Must have been produced or part of a series that was produced in 1958, the model itself is inconsequential
    14k or 18k solid gold case
    Dial should not have been refurbished and all parts should be original.
    Movement should be in great working condition
    Budget tops out at EUR 1000 though I will go above for particularly beautiful examples.

This watch: htps://www.chrono24.at/omega/oro-vintage-automatico-cal-491--id5967096.htm would fit the bill, except it is my belief that the dial was redone (Swiss Made is missing at the six) and the crown, though Omega-signed, is yellow-gold plated instead of the rose gold of the case and thus aftermarket. The seller has been very upfront and honest, providing me with additional pictures and confirming that my doubts about the dial and crown were true. However, the watch is 18k and seems to be better value than what I've found elsewhere.

I've now found a Cal. 491 2898SC identical to the one above, but in 14k yellow gold, that is in stunning condition, both inside and out. I've reached out to the (reputable) seller, asking if any refurbishing work has been done. My only problem is that the asking price exceeds my budget by 25%. Will I end up overpaying for this watch? Should I instead patiently wait for the perfect opportunity to present itself?

I can't thank this forum enough for the wealth of advice its knowledgeable members have provided me so far!!

Edited Apr 22, 2017
    blacktiger likes this.
  2. Vitezi Apr 22, 2017

Patience, knowledge, and lots of prospecting are the key attributes of a vintage watch collector. Deep pockets help too, depending on the models and brands that capture your attention, but this is not a requirement. A lot of fun can be had in this hobby for little money.

While you are being patient, I recommend learning to fish. Read as many articles as you can, both here and on other watch forums. Collect books and hunt for old watch catalogs and advertisements. Look at the sales forums here and elsewhere, and study up on watches that interest you. Then, when that perfect watch shows up in a blurry photo or two, you'll know how to reel it in. And when you do, be sure to post photos and brag about it here. :)

3. Pianoman Apr 22, 2017

I pulled the trigger because the seller offered me a generous return policy. Based on these pictures, would you say I overpaid, considering I was able to reduce the price to just barely fit my budget?

Capture3.PNG Capture2.PNG Capture.PNG