Forums Latest Members
  1. Dualinput May 25, 2019

Hi all,
    I'm new to this forum and new to Omega watches. I have only bought rolex and breitling from authorised dealers in the past. I am looking into a 'vintage' speedy, ref 145.022 with the 861 movement, one that has the 1450 bracelet. Am having trouble finding one of these for sale.

Does anyone have tips for finding one of these watches? I understand that there should be a fair amount of watches with this case/bracelet combination?

Thanks

2. Dan S May 25, 2019

3. Dualinput May 26, 2019

4. jimmyd13 May 26, 2019

Just personal preference, but I think that the 145.022-69 and -71 are the ideal "starter vintage" watch. You'll have the more easily serviced 861 along with a step dial as well as the likelihood of a well patinated look.

That said, the 145.022 carried on in production for decades and the later ones are invariably cheaper.

Don't fixate on papers for earlier watched. The later you get, the more likely that you will get box and papers. If there's any doubt, you can always contact Omega through their website for an Extract of the Archives (EoA). That will tell you the history of the watch based on the movement's serial number and give you assurance that the watch is genuine and as it was when it was "born".

Unfortunately you're going to have to wait for someone else to come along with better knowledge of the later references - they're just not something I've ever concentrated on.

Dan S and Swissmister like this.
  5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 26, 2019

Hi,

You came to the right place and are oddly specific and not at the same time.

Any reason why that bracelet? 145.022’s started in 1969 and technically are still in production with very minor changes with the 861.

We can help better if we know your needs.

6. Dualinput May 26, 2019

Hey,
    Thanks for replying.
    I am attracted the bracelet due to it’s appearance and its apparent rarity. (1450 and 1447).

I am, however, finding a lot of trouble finding the correct watch/bracelet combination on the online marketplaces.

I am therefore wondering if I am searching for the right watches.
    St345.0808 is fitted with 1447 and in the late 80’s with the 1450 ?
    St145.022 has been fitted with 1450 in some rare occasions?

Thanks for the help.
    I’m a total omega newbie I just did some reading in the obvious places , I am considering getting the moonwatch only book but it’s terribly expensive for a book.

7. Dan S May 26, 2019

To each his own, but I wouldn't put the primary focus on the bracelet, they can always be replaced at a later stage. More important is to find an appealing watch in great condition.

Foo2rama, JwRosenthal and Swissmister like this.
  8. Dualinput May 26, 2019

Hey Dan,

I am also considering getting a 1980-2000’s watch with box and papers and then try to get a 1450 bracelet. However it would be nice to have the full set as it came from the factory.
    I am just figuring that if I would buy a watch I’d rather just go with the correct combination.

9. Swissmister May 26, 2019

:thumbsdown:

10. Dan S May 26, 2019

Sure, I think most of us like to go with the correct combination all things being equal. I'm just advising you to focus on the watch and not the bracelet, just my subjective opinion. By restricting yourself to a full set with a 1450 bracelet, you are limiting your search to the vanishing point. Most of us would probably advise focusing on condition first, and accessories a distant second.

ndgal, jimmyd13 and Swissmister like this.
  11. Taybharr May 28, 2019

Interesting coincidence! I’m also looking for my first vintage speedy! Had an eBay purchase that I returned, which was a correct -74 but with a horrible polishing the seller did not disclose or show in pictures. Looking for -69, -71, or -74. I’ve been looking around a lot; there are a few watches out there, but many of them are overpriced (I’m looking at you analog/shift...). Trying to maintain patience for the right watch to come along. Check the for sale forums here and have some of the knowledgeable members here vet potential purchases. Seems to be the easiest and best way to learn. Good luck in your search!