Forums Latest Members
  1. Danders Sep 28, 2022

I've been a veracious internet enthusiast for the last couple of years and am aching to purchase my first mechanical piece. I have become woefully enamoured with this 9ct 131.25016 with applied Arabic numerals.

Omega Genève 9ct Gold, Ref 131.25016, Cal 601 Manual Wind,... for €746 for sale from a Private Seller on Chrono24 (Can't seem to save photos from Chrono24)

For ref, Padders sold one in 2018 here. https://omegaforums.net/threads/1969-omega-geneve-9k-gold-131-25016-–-serviced-unpolished.78148/

This would be a daily wearer, rather than a collectable, but I have felt this passionately about a watch before, only to find out that the piece was not worth the asking. I want to make sure it's a fair deal and would love the watch to have decent collecting chops and likely to hold reasonable value.

Caseback is engraved and tarnished from polishing, dint on the dial outside the minute track below 8, shallow scratches on the unsigned crystal and caseback, slight marks on the movement, slightly knurled area on the left hand side of the case.

The omega pin buckle is gold plated (not original) and the crown with logo is a gold embossed replacement that the seller fitted during their time of ownership (previous crown was unsigned). I asked if there were pictures of the movement but the owner is unable to supply as the crystal would need to be removed. Seller remarks it is keeping good time and was serviced 2 years ago.

Is this worth the asking of 750 euro from a private seller in today's market?

There is a backup option here and I would love to know which is the better proposition https://www.birthyearwatches.com/product/1966-omega-9k-gold-2/
    Also on Chrono24 here Omega 9k gold watch, reference 131.25016 for €861 for sale from a Trusted Seller on Chrono24
    This second one is a little more than I want to pay right now (about £100 more than the first). Here, the crown, crystal, and pin buckle are unsigned, and the dial is not marked Genève.

RE the first watch, I love the British racing green strap, I sort of feel the caseback inscription adds history and character, I'm a sucker for the Omega pin buckle and crown (even though they are plated/embossed replacements). But if the second watch is a clearly superior collectors choice, I'd for sure go for the second. Is the second from a professional dealer worth the 100 more?

Interesting to note, of the iterations of this I have seen, I have never seen an original omega signed pin, crown or crystal. Is it possible that the originals never had these either?

Thanks a million everyone