Forums Latest Members
  1. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 16, 2019

2. WYO_Watch Mar 16, 2019

I hope he scored the middle :cool:

Potentially thread drift, isn’t there a fourth - the new(ish) aftermarket back with red writing? I believe I have seen some for sale here and on the bay.

Shawnnyang likes this.
  3. Shawnnyang Mar 16, 2019

4. WYO_Watch Mar 16, 2019

You’ve been one helluva sport :thumbsup: Enjoy the watch

5. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 16, 2019

+1, Cheers .

As to the colour . You can make any colour that Crayola makes . :)

Spacefruit likes this.
  6. Shawnnyang Mar 16, 2019

I wish it were the middle one as well! In my mind, the principle appeal of this watch was the dial. Perhaps I'm just uninitiated when it comes to vintage speedies, but I don't really get the fuss when it comes to casebacks and whether there is a dot over or next to a nine. I'm really hoping I don't go down the rabbit hole on those specifics.....

OWa and kov like this.
  7. sjg22 Mar 16, 2019

A+ stunner of a watch.

DNN is absolutely correct for a SW.

Having had two SWs in the past, I would say that your lume is both slightly unusual from my experience but also wildly appealing. Regardless of whether it has been relumed (and I’m not sure it has been), it’s a watch I would love to own.

Congrats on a killer Speedy. Money well spent IMO.

8. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 16, 2019

I think you may have already.... :D

9. bloomy Mar 17, 2019

Do watches with the apollo 11 sw caseback trade for more than standard sw?

10. rank Mar 17, 2019

What a beautiful watch. :) Personally, I would trust the reputation of the Davidoffs and be happy with this very appealing beauty.

11. JanV Mar 17, 2019

Just my thoughts to OF posting his recent inquiry here, of the two things that I think in this thread is going on.

1. You have bought a rare piece that is not “in the norm” for what’s generally known by large numbers, and that’s why your watch is being scrutinised to this extent, without any ill willing towards you or the watch in question, just in order to make sure you have got a genuine item and not a put together watch or sold to you without a correct description.

2. It is sold by a reputable dealer (and you probably paid the arm and leg as you mentioned), and this might be the biggest triggering factor. As you know a dealer is only reputable (for me at least) as long as he keeps providing products on the market that the company can stand behind, even under heavy scrutiny like here. As soon as a dealers starts selling put together watches by purpose, making up bogus stories or hyped up smoke raising the prices for nothing, that’s where I leave their ship.

So look at this more like a “self defence” mechanism that has sprung for some members here just in order to help you, and checking that you have really got what you have paid for. Think of this in a positive way. :)

And your watch is as cool as it is beautiful!

chronoboy64 likes this.
  12. Shawnnyang Mar 17, 2019

Many thanks! That's my take as well. For the most part, the responses on here have been quite thoughtful and I've learned more about these watches as a result (the "toothpaste-style lume" never even occurred to me as interesting or unusual before someone else pointed it out and it prompted me to look into it).

I think the interest adds to the joy of owning something like this. It's a welcomed change to my wife, friends and colleague who couldn't care less about what's on my wrist. :)

kov, chronoboy64, ATWG and 4 others like this.
  13. Bbturbo Mar 17, 2019

OP; You've been a true sport for sharing. Dial is indeed stunning (tropical).

Whatever the lume plots may be, in my opinion, it does not distract one from the over all beauty of the dial. Just enjoy the watch on your wrist.

14. Len Mar 17, 2019

If you're feeling brave -

15. TimtimeIntl Mar 17, 2019

Cool watch. I have liked the straight writing backs long before most have. I think they are especially desirable especially now that it is the 50th year of the moon landing. Congrats.

gemini4 likes this.
  16. TimtimeIntl Mar 17, 2019

Thanks for this info. I've had two of these since they were worth about a tenth of their current value (one for each son!) and never knew there was a certain S/N range of dials that are known to turn "tropical".

17. nttisch23 Mar 17, 2019

What a stunning piece!

18. chronoboy64 Mar 17, 2019

Great catch, check the lume with UV device and don´t post the results here.
    I hope that two members will continue their battle on a PM basis too.
    Wear in good health ! :thumbsup:

19. mancio Mar 17, 2019

SPLENDID, SPLENDID WATCH!!!

20. Shawnnyang Mar 17, 2019

Thanks! The sellers have done so and have provided me a video to show this. All plots glow uniformly and fade quickly while the hands react differently. I'm personally at ease.

chronoboy64 likes this.