Forums Latest Members
  1. Shawnnyang Mar 17, 2019

Thanks everyone for your collective contributions. One more question I was hoping one of you can help me with. Anyone know a reputable servicer in either Hong Kong or Manhattan? The watch failed a pressure test and I'd like to get it to a reputable vintage servicer to replace gaskets and "seal" the watch (to the extent possible for a vintage speedy). Don't ever plan on showering or swimming with it but was hoping to beef up water resistance against the HK humidity.

2. ck77 Mar 17, 2019

http://www.classicwatchrepair.com/
    maybe this

3. Shawnnyang Mar 17, 2019

Thanks - I've actually tried Classic Watch Repair as well as Berne Horology in Hong Kong. Neither had the capability to source any parts needed to make sure the watch seals. Is Archer watch repair the unanimous choice for folks?

EDIT: A member helpfully gave a few thoughts on doing the repair work in HK. Does anyone have any thoughts on service shops in Manhattan?

Edited Mar 18, 2019
  4. DotOverNine Mar 18, 2019

I missed this whole thread being skiing a few days =) Grats to really good looking watch!

Will start my own "Lume thread" the coming days =) Let's see how many rounds it will last... =)

JimJupiter and WYO_Watch like this.
  5. WYO_Watch Mar 18, 2019

@oddboy and I discussed creating one of these as well. My focus was going to be on Speedmaster hand lume variations. Just in my small sampling the diversity is quite spectacular :rolleyes: sheesh I need another hobby...

DotOverNine, oddboy and OWa like this.
  6. OWa Mar 18, 2019

Looking forward to it. This would be helpful for the speedy community. I bought some tritium hands this year and was looking for information during this process. ::book::

WYO_Watch likes this.
  7. DotOverNine Mar 18, 2019

yes good initiative! My intention was not of same extent as yours. Very good!

WYO_Watch likes this.
  8. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Mar 18, 2019

Why don't you have a word with William @Spacefruit? He bounces around the planet a bit...... writing Speedmaster101 as he goes. If anyone knows he will.::confused2:: failing that, if you don't mind sending overseas, Swiss Time Services or, preferably, Simon Freese in the UK.
    http://www.simonfreesewatchmakers.com

Edited Mar 18, 2019
  9. Shawnnyang Mar 18, 2019

William’s been very helpful! Will take a few additional shots after a service (maybe with a proper camera). Cheers all!

Bbturbo and nonuffinkbloke like this.
  10. Shawnnyang Mar 18, 2019

http://speedmaster101.com/blog/ultraman-resource-page/ Not to beat a dead horse, but check out the second picture on that page as well as the second to last pic. Looks like there's some serial relumer on the loose with an MO for toothpaste style jobs!

Edit: Sorry - I couldn't help being a bit of cheeky in this instance after seeing members claim with such certainty that this style of lume had to be the result of a relume.

Edited Mar 18, 2019
    Basset Hound likes this.
  11. Fost Mar 19, 2019

Just to explain myself about the 'Strange lume', it is not excately about the shrinked lume (even if this one is particulary 'homogeneous in every single marker) but you stated that the hands were relumed, and the 'appearance' of the lume (not really like old tritium , it looks more shiny, no grains etc..) is exactely the same between the marker and the hands. So there is 2 options, the guy who relumed the hands find a way to make the hands as closed as the dial keeping this strage apperance, or the guy who relumed the hands, relumed the dial with the same paste (and Strange appearance). We will certainly never know...
    Enjoy your beauty.

12. Shawnnyang Mar 19, 2019

I'd rather not post without seller's permission but as stated, I do have a video of the lume plots on the dial reacting very differently to UV light than the lume on the hands. So the third option is that there were two different relumers!

MaiLollo likes this.
  13. Atalien2005 Mar 20, 2019

Or the same relumer mixed a little UV powder for the dial.

Seeing that the DB brothers have another straight writing listed on their site currently for CHF 16,500 and your watch has a tropical dial, I would hate to hear what you paid. For that type of money, I wouldn’t want to have any doubt if it was a relume or not.

14. Shawnnyang Mar 20, 2019

Both hands and dial glow. Hands glow much longer. This indicates to me at least the the tritium applied to the hands is years if not decades newer than the tritium on the dial. I’m being facetious when I say there were two relumers. (I don’t have a credible reason to doubt it).

15. queriver Mar 21, 2019

Sorry, ::facepalm2::, couldn't resist, all this talk about toothpaste lume. Apply t(r)opically for instant and lasting perfect lume....
    IMG_4246 - Copy.jpg

JanV, Shawnnyang and kov like this.
  16. OWa Mar 21, 2019

Is this with tritium or radium?

queriver and Shawnnyang like this.
  17. Shawnnyang Mar 21, 2019

LOL -> Forget that name brand stuff. Go with that organic/hipster stuff like the guys that did my watch:

[​IMG]

queriver likes this.