Forums Latest Members

First Speedmaster, advice needed.

1. Scottie Jan 25, 2022

Hi, I am looking for some advice. As an Omega fan and owner of a Seamaster, a Railmaster and a 300M I am toying with the idea of purchasing a Speedmaster Professional ( Moonwatch) but am starting to get confused with all the variations and price ranges. I don’t want to go OTT price wise but want to avoid the likes of the “Reduced” etc. They all basically look the same to me, a statement that will probably get their fans upset. I have narrowed my selection down to a 42mm in Calibers 1861/1863/3861. Is the Co-axial worth the extra 1K plus, Is the reduced 39mm really to be avoided as I prefer an automatic watch? Is there an automatic mid priced 42mm. Are automatics classified as Moonwatches?

Any advice welcome before I visit my local Omega agent.

Regards.

Peter.

tikkathree likes this.
  2. justacpa Jan 25, 2022

Opinions are like belly buttons--everybody has one. Some will say a Moonwatch is strictly hand-wind--no automatics. I don't call my Speedmaster Racing a Moonwatch because Omega doesn't call it a Moonwatch. I have an Apollo 11 50the anniversary that qualifies as a Moonwatch, and even says it's one on the back. I've toyed with the idea of getting a Dark Side of the Moon in a ceramic case, just because I like the watch whether or not it qualifies as a Moonwatch. Get whatever turns your crank and don't fret over what others think.

3. perenowell Jan 25, 2022

The Moonwatch are the hand winding ones.
    But the most important is to buy and wear the watch you like. If you like the reduced, go for it.

MRC likes this.
  4. Donn Chambers Jan 25, 2022

The Speedmaster Pro is the one to get unless you absolutely cannot tolerate manually winding your watch at least every other day if you want to keep it running. If you want to hack and keep chronometer time, then get the 3861. If you want to save some money, don’t care if when you set the time it might be +/- 30 seconds off, and are okay with +/- 10 sec/day accuracy, get the 1861.

StudebakerHawk likes this.
  5. jnew3 Jan 25, 2022

I agree they all look quite similar! Have a look at the FOIS if you are looking for 39mm.
    Its completely up to you but I have heard that the speedy reduced has quite high servicing costs so it may end up more expensive in the long run.

Edited Jan 26, 2022
    Efeo likes this.
  6. repoman Jan 25, 2022

OK, I'll be "that guy". It ain't a Speedmaster, unless its a manual wind moonwatch!! :) I think if you are getting your first Speedmaster, you gotta do it right and get a Moonwatch, the classic manual mind 42mm Speedmaster Professional; a really great choice for your first Speedy is a 70's or 80's tritium dial, hesalite crystal calibre 861. If you can find a pre-74 stepped dial, all the better but good ones are hard to find, whereas 80's tritiums are much much easier to find and at great price points. That's an heirloom quality watch you can pass down, will never lose value and will never go out of style. All the other variations, just don't bring the same pedigree nor wrist presence IMHO. Good luck in your search.

hanky6 likes this.
  7. amfalconer Jan 25, 2022

As above, if you've your heart set on a Speedmaster, get the Pro, it's like all things, if you get the Reduced, you'll be pining for the Pro.

1861 owner here and experiencing +2spd, It doesn't make sense to me upgrading to the 3861, but I do like the step dial and the new bracelet (except the extreme taper)

TwinPeaks likes this.
  8. w@tcher Jan 25, 2022

I'm an owner of a Speedy Professional with 1861cal (+ 4sec per day) and a FOIS with 1861cal (+1sec per day). 1861 is a great cal with low cost service and having much more Omega Historic DNA as a future classic (this is my personal opinion).

Just buy whatever you like more!

9. Evitzee Jan 25, 2022

I bought my first Speedmaster in 1973 and then did not follow the company at all until 2017 when by chance I visited a Speedmaster exhibition in Zurich. I didn't even know if the regular model was even still in production, never heard of the FOIS or any other info about the line. So I started researching here, on the Omega website and other places. I probably know as much as anyone about Speemasters offered since the mid 90's now, not really interested in the real vintage stuff. Part of the hobby is research and learning...take your time and start reading. Pay a couple of hundred bucks and get the 'Moonwatch Only' book, it'll all become clear and guide you. There is no hurry to buy your first one.

Omega often used the "moonwatch" name willy nilly in their marketing over the decades. But I think it is true that the spirit of the Moonwatch is a manually wound model with 321/861/1861, or new 3861, movement.

Edited Jan 25, 2022
    repoman likes this.
  10. TheGreekPhysique Jan 25, 2022

I've always been a traditionalist at heart and therefor lean towards the notion that a proper speedy should always have a manually wound movement.

MikiJ and repoman like this.
  11. Rudi99 Jan 26, 2022

As a first Speedmaster, I must say I believe the new cal 3861 makes a fantastic impression on the wrist with the stepped dial and the new bracelet. I am a big fan of the taper down and it feels really nice on the wrist. My wrists are not large and the 42mm wears very well. I don't think it is too large.

This new movement is also great... in my opinion a really nice package for the money and worth the extra buck alone for the stepped dial and bracelet.

Good luck!

MDubs likes this.
  12. JMO1995 Jan 26, 2022

I purchased my first Speedy on New Years Eve just gone, the 3861 Hesalite version on the bracelet.

I absolutely love it, I think the bracelet looks great and the taper works well on my 17cm wrist. It’s currently running under +1 seconds/day.

I’m with the majority of the above that a Moonwatch should be manually wound but that doesn’t matter. All that you should be doing is finding the watch that you want to get and looking for one. For reference if you did go for the new version from an AD/OB, I was offered just under a 15% discount from two separate AD’s in the UK.

13. TrboDieselPwrd Jan 26, 2022

Have you tried the Professionals on wrist yet? If your AD has both the 3861 and previous 1861/63 versions that you're able to try on then I highly recommend doing that and comparing. The differences are subtle in terms of aesthetics, but more profound in terms of the bracelet. I don't think you can go wrong with either version especially if you're purchasing new.

From my newbie point of view, the only gotchas with the Professionals are if you don't want to manual wind, don't like the aesthetics, and have a tiny wrist (but shoot, wear what you like and the new bracelet and 105 inspired case helps it wear smaller).

If you're still in Speedmaster exploratory mode, perhaps your AD/OB has some Speedmaster automatics or auto coaxials that you could try on as well since there are a lot of options there too. Good luck -- enjoy the hunt!

14. kelsey Jan 26, 2022

You prefer automatics, have you ever dailyed a manual watch?

Years ago I was the prefer auto type, until I got a manual speedy now I’m well into the prefer manual camp :) ….anything since has been manual.

As others have stated if you prefer the size of the reduced vs the pro, FOIS an ideal choice if you’d be willing to give manuals a go.

There is also still a 38mm auto speedy in the current catalog (I do believe could be corrected if wrong) though it’s not called a reduced anymore, it’s pretty cool to (my wife has the gold highlights green version, but there’s a more male black dial version).

Edited Jan 26, 2022
  15. Dan S Jan 26, 2022

As you can see, everyone has their own opinion, but yours is the only one that matters. Go look at them and try them on your wrist, then buy the one you like the most.

16. AOMOmega Jan 27, 2022

I was in your shoes recently and was always under the impression I would get a second hand watch with the 1861. After trying on a 3861 model with the new bracelet, it was game over. I still hemmed and hawed over Sapphire vs Hesalite, and you may find yourself doing the same. Ultimately, I chose to go sapphire because I can be tough on my watches, but you can't go wrong with either. Best of luck!

Rudi99 likes this.
  17. Twocats Married... with children Jan 27, 2022

As everyone else has already mentioned, it's you who will make the ultimate decision when you see whatever model of Speedster is is on your wrist, thats the moment you will know.

The reality of the situation is, after you purchase your first one and hang around here long enough you will want one of every variation and sub variation produced just like a great number of us currently do.

18. 7enderbender Jan 27, 2022

My 5c, having been through this (twice):
    Going full on vintage is expert level and potentially expensive to get right. The brand new 3861 in my humble opinion is an acquired taste and too expensive really for what it is at this point (not disregarding supply and demand in this crazy market and the fact that previous models on the used market are at least catching up). I personally don’t like what they did with it (long story).
    So that puts you in the market for a used 1861 or 861. Both great, very marginal differences, matter of taste, and long production runs to pick from. In my view, for a “Moonwatch” to resemble the spirit of the actual NASA equipment at various stages, it’s gotta be the Hesalite version, no glass back or so.
    However, I wouldn’t discount the Speedy auto reduced. I have one that has been my main watch since the early 90s and it is extremely accurate and a beautiful, comfortable and reliable watch. Stories about those being difficult to service or having “inferior” movements are way overstated in my view. I only recently bought a like-new 1861 given that it had been discontinued and I had been eying one for a long long time. Like I said, I prefer it over the new version that’s why felt I couldn’t wait any longer. No regrets, even though I ended up paying full retail price (which hurts considering what they went for only 2 or 3 years ago).

691228A5-8033-429C-9A74-781AA4338484.jpeg F91C65F2-96A7-4CD6-BF7D-5F4105644462.jpeg
  19. Eddy350 Jan 27, 2022

You can’t go wrong with either. I liked my sapphire so much I got the Hesalite. CC65137F-2CE4-4E5A-B22C-FFEC4FE1E36B.jpeg

4011021 likes this.
  20. Cenzo Jan 27, 2022

I bought the 1861 a few years ago and love it. It runs about 12/13 sec fast a day. I'll get it regulated when I get it serviced, but don't want to mess with it while under warranty. I set the time about twice a month. I wear it everyday and love it. I do like the dial on the 3861, but it's not that much of a difference (especially with my eyes) to make me want to trade up. My advice to you would be:
    Take your time and make sure you get what you like
    Go see the watches you might purchase in person. Hold them. Wear them. See how they look in person
    Hang out on Omega Forums and ask any questions you have

Here is an old thread about why I bought mine
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/a-year-on-the-wrist-with-my-speedmaster-311-30-42-30-01-005.119738/

Good luck!