Forums Latest Members

First post: my journey with watches

1. JGreenman Jan 18, 2022

Hi all. I joined this awesome forum a while ago, in 2018. I think I found it when I was searching info about Universal Geneve FS -watches. And there is a great thread about them in the UG subforum. With the advice and confidence gathered from my research, I managed to get both mk1 and mk2 models. What beauties!

After seen some interesting stories about how people start their hobby (or disease, depending on the view) and how it evolves over time, I thought to share some of my own too, and at the same time break my silence here. Coming from Northern Europe, I thought that there's no point in posting if one has nothing to say :). And so much can be learned just by reading the threads and searching information. But sharing is also caring and there might be some bits and pieces could also share to help others too. That being said, I'm still learning new things all the time and cannot say that I'm any kind of expert in these matters. Ok, so here it goes.

I have always loved watches. Don't know what started it, but as a child of the 80s, the Casio watches were a big force growing up. Later, in my teens, Swatch was a big thing. I recently did some searching and found out that one of my first watches was Casio TS-1200 or at least very similar model, as it had a thermometer and I remember the blue sensor on the front. Seeing now that it's not totally worthless, it would be nice to have it still, but it's lost somewhere along the way.
    Next thing was Swatch, I first had a really colourful Scuba model and boy was I proud of it! The 90s went more or less with Swatches, they were quirky, affordable and their design followed the times. Chronographs and Irony collection especially was my thing. Swatch Balise YGS4005 was and still is my favourite. During this time I remember drooling over Breitling Navitimer too, but it was out of reach. The big three for me then were Breitling, Rolex and Omega.

Somehow vintage has been more interesting than new watches, and not only watches, it's the objects that have had a life before and the mid-century design that appeals to me. I really got into mechanical watches in 2010s and it was the chronograph that lured me in. I started by collecting interesting movements, the watch around them was not so important as I had been bitten by some kind of a mechanical bug and couldn't stop marveling the mechanics.
    I spent countless hours wondering how they worked from videos and other materials I could get. In the end, the column wheel chrono was to the thing to have, and so I got Valjoux 22 and 23 models and a Venus 170. Venus 170 attracted me also visually as it had the up-down arrangement of the registers on the dial. It was the time I also discovered Universal Geneve, cal 285 should definitely sometime be in the collection. And a Excelsior Park, Angelus and of course Valjoux 72. Besides these, others also crept in, like Landerons and 773X series Valjouxes.
    I ended up so deep in the movements that I started to recognize the model from the number of column wheel teeth and chrono arm and bridge shapes. Talk about nerds, huh? Actually that nerding landed the Valjoux 23 to me really cheap as I recognized a junk sale watch having a Valjoux movement from the asymmetrical pusher placement in relation to the crown.

Here's a pic of my Nisus chrono with Valjoux 22, probably from the 40s. One of my first mechanical chronos and with a really attractive dial and blued hands. Too bad that the case is nickel-chrome, not steel.
    IMG_0104.jpg

Then there were the Soviet watches and some other interesting brands, like Cortebert and Favre Leuba, but I have to edit something out so this post doesn't balloon totally out of control.

Couple of years back I got into vintage Omega Constellations. It was not the Pie Pan, but the C-shape case that caught my eye. Clean and definitely modern styling and ahead of its time. Borne from the pen of Gerald Genta in 1964, still most of people place them in the 70s. I think that's a testament of Omega's avantgarde. And they don't look out of place even today, besides being a little small maybe.
    Of course the movement is important here too and having those cal 550 -family ones was a must for a nerd like me. Here too, I jumped in with passion, read everything I could get my hands on, Desmond Guilfoyle's writings many times over and forums like this.
    When it comes to the Connies, it has been the non-lume versions that attracted me the most. Some more quirky ones from the 70's Omega Constellation catalog have found me too.

Here's a 168.029 Cal. 751 with 3011/518 bracelet.
    IMG_8448.jpg

Collection is never complete and while there are still more C-shape Connies to have, I've recently found a Seamaster 168.024. Now I understand why people praise the BoR bracelets, these are divine!
    168024.jpg

And so the story goes on. I have tried to move from just hoarding everything to a more concentrated themes. My main interests today are C-shape/Cushion/Tonneau (it's confusing, what's a tonneau and when it becomes cushion?) cased watches in general and I try to concentrate in a couple of brands, like Omega, Girard-Perregaux and Universal. There are lots of avenues in watch collecting, I wish you good luck in finding yours! And I try to be active in the forum too.

TimeODanaos, Rudi99, marcn and 32 others like this.
  2. rkman11 Jan 18, 2022

Welcome! Looks like you are off to a VERY fine start!

3. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jan 18, 2022

This has never stopped me before, but I appreciate the sentiment.

Lovely collection that you have already. Welcome to the forum!

MtV, Syrte, krogerfoot and 2 others like this.
  4. Dan S Jan 18, 2022

Welcome, and I hope to see more of your contributions!

JGreenman likes this.
  5. thelinendial Jan 18, 2022

Sharing is caring, and I enjoyed your introduction.

Really like your Nisus chrono with Valjoux 22, I’ve never heard of them before and now you got me hunting for one myself :).

JGreenman likes this.
  6. stonestone Jan 19, 2022

What a nice way to introduce yourself. I never bothered with anything resembling a self-introduction myself when I started posting. Welcome!

JGreenman likes this.
  7. jaguar11 Jan 19, 2022

Welcome and what an enjoyable introduction with some great pictures of some really nice pieces!

JGreenman likes this.
  8. Vitezi Jan 19, 2022

9. JGreenman Jan 19, 2022

Thanks so much for the warm welcoming, everyone!

10. JGreenman Jan 19, 2022

11. JGreenman Jan 19, 2022

There is one in eBay currently, in Belgium. Gold plated case that looks to be in much better condition than mine.

12. ChiefMark Jan 19, 2022

Welcome! Great introduction and story of your journey.

JGreenman likes this.
  13. Zapatta Jan 19, 2022

Only 3 watches? After a year here that number will be tripled. Trust me :whistling:

Welcome!

JGreenman and DaveK like this.
  14. JGreenman Jan 19, 2022

Oh, there are lots more than these... But as you said, I suspect that their numbers will not diminish too much as I'm not a very good seller :D.

Zapatta likes this.
  15. janice&fred Jan 19, 2022

Now yer talkin!

JGreenman likes this.
  16. shaniko Jan 20, 2022

As another new member, I enjoyed reading of your adventure! Thanks!

JGreenman likes this.
  17. JGreenman Jan 21, 2022

Cheers! Nice to hear that!

18. LesXL Jan 21, 2022

Great intro post and story. Bienvenue, and congratulations on your already great collection.

Greetings from Belgium

JGreenman likes this.
  19. MtV Jan 21, 2022

Thanks for sharing and welcome aboard. :) Some very nice pieces already!

JGreenman likes this.
  20. daderaz Feb 10, 2022

Welcome!! Very good start. You just need to change that strap.

JGreenman likes this.