Forums Latest Members

First Omega In Space / FOIS on bracelet

1. FlatTop Jun 9, 2022

The new '57 is definitely 20mm lug width, but you need to swap the end links to get a 321 bracelet to fit the FOIS anyway.

The question is whether the Forstner or Uncle Seiko end links could potentially be used to make the new '57 bracelet fit the FOIS. Still unconfirmed.

Edited Jun 9, 2022
  2. SlCKB0Y Jun 13, 2022

Omega is selling the 2021 Speedy Chronoscope clasp to 3861 Moonwatch owners to get on the fly adjust so it certainly could be possible. The things you would need:

1. The part number. Someone with access to the Omega extranet like @Archer could confirm if there IS a seperate part number for just the clasp, the part number and the listed price.
    2. Someone with the new ‘57 to provide all the required measurements to work out if it’s even feasible. This is far preferable than someone just taking a chance and buying the clasp/bracelet, because it won’t be cheap.

Personally I’m done - I’m completely happy with the 321 bracelet and aftermarket endlinks. I’ve been able to get a good fit and I have no issues wearing the watch a bit loose in cold weather.

3. FlatTop Jun 13, 2022

I also took the plunge with the 321 bracelet and Forstner end links (for me the design of the Forstner end links looks more authentic than the Uncle Seiko ones).

Very happy.

D11FCA3F-D7BB-4733-AA14-85FCA4880971.jpeg A0B32EDE-732B-4BDC-BEDD-4FDA9A9086AB.jpeg

4. jjjones Jun 14, 2022

I have the same setup. I just wished that the Forstner endlinks wernt as curved and more squared off like Uncle Seikos and OEM 321 endlinks.
    Biggest problem I have with Uncle Seiko is the brushed middle part of the end link is too long and looks wrong compared to the Forstner and OEM 321 endlinks.

5. nickjust Jun 16, 2022

Took the plunge and ordered the 321 bracelet from my AD , who I have purchased several watches from. I managed to get a discount from the list price (RRP £610 here in the UK), I paid £500 for mine.

Pictured here with Forstner end links. I personally much prefer the look of the Forstner to the Uncle Seiko end links so glad I was able to recycle these from my original (not contemporary) Forstner flat link bracelet.

I've had it for a week now. Some observations so far, in case helpful to folks:

- The bracelet is very well made - for example, the screws are incredibly well machined and everything has a more solid feel than the Forstner, despite the bracelet links being a very similar thickness. I was actually quite surprised at how thin the 321 links are when I first handled it.
    - In my opinion, the flat link design is perfect for the FOIS / CK2998-style straight lug cases which are that little bit more dressy than the Professional version.
    - I'm using 1.6mm spring bars. I may change these to 1.5mm in future to allow the bracelet to pivot on the end link a little more freely.
    - The clasp is compact, thin and unobtrusive; befitting of its vintage style. However, my experience has been that the folding arms have quite sharp edges - see second photo. When the clasp is folded together and rubbing against the underside of my wrist it has a tendency to 'scrape' a little. I wouldn't say it's uncomfortable, but it is noticeable. When my wrist expands in the heat, I have also noticed (for the first time) that the etched hippocampus logo can press into the top side of my wrist, which can be (slightly) uncomfortable. Got me thinking about one of those Spiralwinder exhibition case backs I saw others posting about here. Maybe :)
    - I never experienced hair pulling with the Forstner bracelet, but there is some (limited) depilation with the OEM ;-)

If I am being completely honest, the Forstner original flat link - with it's expandable / stretchy links - is actually more comfortable for me than the 321 bracelet. This is not to say I regret buying it. The bracelet is very well made, looks the part and feels solid whilst also having somewhat 'dainty' dimensions (which I like). It's still a relatively small proportion of the price paid / value of the watch overall. There is also that intangible feeling of having an OEM (minus the end links!) product matched to the watch head. Kinda feels like I have an Ed White on my wrist, minus the hefty price tag.

Thanks to all who have posted on this thread to date - your advice and experience has been very helpful to me. Hopefully this post will be for others too.

IMG-9154.JPG 1.JPG
    chipotlefire, scapa, FlatTop and 3 others like this.
  6. Quino Oct 7, 2022

That's what happened to my late 2017 FOIS after having discovered this thread:

03031E7F-628A-4E19-9536-3E8EE87F3BB0.jpeg

And here's the actual setup with the Forstner flat w/endlinks and an Omega 1221/212 clasp:

A8C2A822-5266-4F36-830E-E2166B31794B.jpeg

896BE69A-0667-4504-A8F6-A89A94903514.jpeg

Edited Oct 8, 2022
  7. jjjones Oct 7, 2022

Hey guys. Didnt want to make a new thread on this and figured this might be the best thread to ask in.

Does anyone have their FOIS on a Omega 98000315 strap? (https://www.watchobsession.co.uk/products/omega-speedmaster-cordura-deployment-watch-strap-98000315)

My brother owns one for this Speedmaster racing and fits perfectly. Last Christmas I tried the strap on my FOIS and from memory, it also fit perfectly. Also looked at older threads from various forums and it shows the strap working fine on FOIS and other CK2998 models.

I sourced mine from the Omega boutique but when I got home and fitted it on, it doesnt fit "properly".

The strap fits but it articulates instead of staying fixed to the case. I suspect its because my springbars are too thin? Not at home atm, so i cant measure the current thickness of my springbars or try different ones. Video below should explain the issue better.

Wondering if anyone here has tried the strap and had it work fine on the FOIS. If its a springbar issue, that should be easily resolved. Im just hoping that Omega didnt change the design of the strap or something. Going to visit my brother over the weekend and try his strap on my FOIS again and do abit of mixing parts to determine what the issue is. Hopefully I wasnt imagining things last Christmas or my memory isnt as bad as i thought it was.

[​IMG]

Ron_W likes this.
  8. texasmade Oct 7, 2022

I remember trying this strap on my FOIS years ago at the Houston OB. When I had the OB install this strap, I had the same issue. I think it's a strap issue vs a spring bar issue. They said technically the strap will fit but it will "articulate" as shown in your video. The rubber strap from the Speedmaster Racing is much stiffer at the end and stays in place.

9. scapa Oct 8, 2022

I haven't tried this OEM strap but have used JR cordura and an Artem sailcloth on my FOIS with good results.

I'd be interested in the Speedy Racing rubber strap -- that's a very smart piece.

10. jjjones Oct 8, 2022

Thanks for the response guys.

Just an update. The good news is my memory is ok and I wasnt imagining things.

Tried my brother's strap again and it fit perfectly fine. Switched his spring bars onto my strap and watch and it worked.

Not sure what spring bars I was using, im guessing it was some el cheapo aftemarket ones. Might need to replace them with some OEM ones for piece of mind as I'm using these spring bars on my 321 bracelet.

My brother had a spare set of OEM omega ones and gave me them, so all is well now.

I probably should have bought the shorter version of this strap, but it fits snug and nicely on the last hole. Should give me room to loosen if my wrist swells during the day but I don't ever think I would need it tighter than the last hole.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

gippo, scapa, Ron_W and 3 others like this.
  11. t268 Oct 9, 2022

Looks great!

12. nickjust Oct 14, 2022

Glad you got that setup to work, it looks great - gives it a sporty look. Do you happen to know how thick are the OEM spring bars you're using i.e. 1.8mm etc?

For those using the 321 bracelet with Forstner end links, I'd be interested to know what size and type of spring bars people are using? I've found that only 1.5mm or 1.6mm (non OEM) spring bars will work for me.

13. jjjones Oct 14, 2022

Thanks mate. I'll see if I can measure the oem spring bars when I get home. But I'm guessing they're 1.8mm

They look as thick as my aftermarket spring bars I was using with my 321 bracelet. I guess oem ones were more sturdy making my strap work.

I say this because when I was trying to fit the 321, the thicker spring bars would fit but it was so tight that the bracelet wouldn't freely rotate on the Forstner endlinks. So I used a thinner spring bar instead which worked.

I wasn't happy with the thinner spring bars though because there was a little wiggle in the end links which annoyed me. So I ended up using a dremel and shaved off some of the end link so that the male end of the bracelet wouldn't touch the end link. So my 321 bracelet is pretty solid now and freely rotates. This modification to the end link cant be seen from the outside, only when you take the bracelet off.

I csn share photos of if helps.

scapa likes this.
  14. jjjones Oct 17, 2022

Just measured my springbars. Both OEM and aftermarket are 1.8mm thick.

Pictures below of the shaved Forstner endlinks if anyone's interested:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I recommend this mod for anyone who wants a more solid fit for the 321 bracelet. The good thing is that you can buy those endlinks separately from Forstner.

15. nickjust Oct 17, 2022

Very interesting, thank you @jjjones

16. jyles_baldemor Oct 27, 2022

I've always been curious on trying different strap options for my Omegas. Definitely an inspiration to try!