Forums Latest Members

First Omega In Space (2012 Speedmaster) FOIS, Roll Call

1. texasmade Mar 23, 2018

I actually tried to get one at an OB and AD at the time and both turned me down. Went grey and had it in less than a week once my decision was made to buy.

2. hansmaulwurf Senior Snoopy Owner Mar 24, 2018

fskywalker and eyedoc751 like this.
  3. SpeedieNovice Mar 27, 2018

Had this watch for a year, and have loved it.
    It's back on the original strap after time with a JB Champion, a vintage looking Bulang and Sons and a Nato.
    But suddenly I'm feeling I should have gone with the standard Moonwatch: I think because the alpha hands and legibility are often beautiful but occasionally a pain.
    How do I cure myself of these terrible thoughts!?!

4. imagwai Mar 27, 2018

Imho, the FOIS is every bit as special as the Moonwatch. OK, so it lacks hesalite and legibility is slightly worse, but it's the same movement and still a very beautiful watch and I prefer the lugs, pushers, lack of crown guards and dial. It's also still easily recognizable as a Speedmaster.

eyedoc751 likes this.
  5. SpeedieNovice Mar 27, 2018

I agree with everything here: love the slender case (although it's by no means a little watch), prefer the sapphire glass because life can be pretty active, like lack of crown guards. It's just a sudden loss of love for the hands. Hypnotherapy maybe the answer...

eyedoc751 likes this.
  6. mrchen Mar 27, 2018

Generally agree with the same sentiment. I already have a 105.003 service handset that I plan to have put on when mine needs a service. Should look like this eventually. credit to Eremos on /r/watches for doing it first.

63A4F2CE-B37D-4DC5-9B26-6ED5694885ED.jpeg
  7. JoeScherer75 Mar 27, 2018

Wow I never thought of that, replacement running seconds hand, I like the alpha hands but that replacement sub seconds brings it to nearly original with Wally Schirra's.

And do you have the link to that original reddit post? Thanks

8. mrchen Mar 27, 2018

https://www.reddit.com/r/Watches/co...ort_of_first_step_of/?st=JF9YBCKR&sh=7f5ee9ae

I believe the only difference between these hands and the Professional handset is the fish-tail style chrono seconds hand.

eyedoc751 and SpeedieNovice like this.
  9. SpeedieNovice Mar 27, 2018

Interesting! How much is a set of hands if I may ask?

10. Docthomas Mar 27, 2018

Not my dream watch but really stunning.

11. eyedoc751 Mar 27, 2018

I really like the size, caseback, and I know it's sacrilege when when discussing the original domed hesalite crystal, but I actually prefer the saphire crystal for the reason mentioned above. The absence of crown guards is moot for me as it offers no protection to the vulnerable pushers; I've never damaged any crown, but I could sure see the possibility of damaging a pusher. The legibility is more than a minor nuisance in subdued lighting (eg watching TV at night with background lighting, dimly lit restaurants, etc- I really don't care if the running small seconds is impossible to see in these lighting conditions, but it's challenging to see the time (especially the minutes hand). Now all this could certainly be remedied beautifully by the transformation described by mrchen wrt Eremos mod. I'm going to hold off on that for now, as the legibility is fine in daylight; I boiught this chronograph for some daylight motoring activities (car Rally travel or touring-that type of thing-generally daytime)-I'll see how that goes, and if good, I like the watch as it is. If not I may consider the Eremos mod-actually like the chronograph seconds hand he used-it looks great, with effortless legibility

richter and SpeedieNovice like this.
  12. Dr. K Mar 28, 2018

I could well imagine that Omega will issue a limited Ed White edition at some point ie with straight lugs and white hands. However, I quite like the alpha hands on the FOIS and seldom have difficulties to read them- a slight twist of the wrist will do the trick when the sunlight is playing with them...
    Couleur

SpeedieNovice likes this.
  13. Dr. K Mar 28, 2018

Interesting that it is still listed on the Omega website, and it is strange that Omega is also listing limited editions there some of which are clearly discontinued- maybe to cover new old stock still sitting with some dealers?
    ntere

14. SpeedieNovice Mar 28, 2018

anecdotally I saw one in LA airport recently, and in two window boutiques in London. There's a few left out there!

15. SpeedieNovice Mar 28, 2018

So the FOIS with white hands would essentially be a Neo-Ed-White?

watch3s and Dr. K like this.
  16. Mercury62 Mar 29, 2018

Since we are talking about the white hands I thought I'd share mine. In addition to the sub second hand being changed, I also changed the crown to a 60s Omega one. its a little more thicker like the original Wally Schirra watch. And DSCN2470.JPG DSCN2471.JPG put a Speedmaster Trilogy strap and buckle on.

83n, TJH and Ssunnylee24 like this.
  17. ivarb Mar 29, 2018

Changing the Alpha hands with a white handset looks like a good idea! But finding a complete 105.003 handset sounds difficult and expensive. What about asking Omega or an AD to put on a handset from the current Speedy - is that a way to go?

18. Mercury62 Mar 29, 2018

Omega will not do it, at least the ones near me. I asked and they would only do original. If you do a service they will put original parts back on.
    The best you can do is find a private watchmaker who services Omega's. The can probably order the parts and do it.

19. ivarb Mar 30, 2018

OK - thanks! But will a handset of todays Speedy Pro fit the FOIS?

20. Mercury62 Mar 30, 2018

Yes. They both have the 1861 movement.