Forums Latest Members

finger prints on sapphire glasses..

1. john_coburg Sep 22, 2020

How the bloody hell do they get there? And so soon after i wiped the last one off? And how is it they look so filthy? i never touched my watch face! why the heck would i? and my fingers surely aren't that greasy? It's as though someone's greasy finger has sat in contact with the glass for a few minutes.
    I just don't get it, and it annoys me.
    Surely there is a way of somehow solving this scourge, particularly on a perfectly flat glass...? What do others do? Aside avoiding sapphire glasses...

2. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Sep 22, 2020

I have often wondered the same thing. If you live in the city I guess a lot of particles land on the crystal but as for the fingerprints, I don’t know. Perhaps we are caressing our watches without noticing it.

3. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Sep 22, 2020

Poltergeists?

Pazzo and DaveK like this.
  4. Donn Chambers Sep 22, 2020

I think it depends on what you wiped it with and whether it has anti-reflective coating. If it was just a quick wipe with a cloth, you likely did not remove the oil left behind by your fingers and the fingerprints will show up again. I’ve found watches with reflective coating on the outside harder to clean as well.

I use the small alcohol wipes made for eyeglasses and that generally does the trick — until I accidentally touch it again with my dirty, oily fingers!

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 22, 2020

Who do you live with. Kids?

Sounds like something I would do to annoy a house mate in my day. Find what annoys them and keep doing it.

6. FREDMAYCOIN Sep 22, 2020

Sounds like OCD to me. Good luck

apsm100, blufinz52 and Larry S like this.
  7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 22, 2020

Meds might help.

8. john_coburg Sep 22, 2020

thanks for all your help!

9. john_coburg Sep 22, 2020

I just use my sleeve....or at best a microfibre cloth from my sunnies box. perhaps there's where i'm going wrong... i'm just moving dirt around. but i still don't see how actual finger prints end up on there though....surely my fingers don't touch the glass?! i just can't quite fathom it.

10. Pazzo Sep 22, 2020

Are you a 100% sure that after you wipe, all finger prints are gone?
    Has the watch been opened at some point in time?

11. jaguar11 Sep 22, 2020

Just do not worry about it.....

FREDMAYCOIN likes this.