Forums Latest Members

Omega DSOTM 'shadow' on sapphire crystal

1. Exarkun12 Aug 5, 2017

Hi all, unfortunately this is one of those 'is this a problem' threads.

Saw the earlier thread about the DSOTM AR coming off the sapphire and took a closer look at my DSOTM.

Whilst the AR looks fine, I noticed a weird 'shadow' on the outside of the sapphire crystal when the watch is viewed from a slight angle. Please see the photos.

The shadow is at the 1-2 min marker. The 2nd photo shows a similar shadow at the 53-54min marker but during normal usage this is not noticeable.

I've inspected the crystal carefully and it doesn't look like there is any damage.

I'm wondering if it is an internal reflection of some sort? Since it is right next to the 12 o'clock marker it is quite noticeable. I don't see the shadow when viewing the watch straight on.

DSOTM owners: could you please help take a look at your watches and let me know if this is normal?

Thanks all.

IMG_6112.JPG IMG_6118.JPG

2. Bushido Aug 5, 2017

My first thought is that it's a trick of the light bouncing off of the dial, markers, and crystal? Perhaps where there may be a little thicker sealant at points of the crystal adhering to the case?

In my opinion, nothing is jumping out at me as an issue.

3. pianomankd Aug 5, 2017

...Such a beautiful watch. Man.

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 5, 2017

Warranty time. Something's not right it's not a reflection.

5. Exarkun12 Aug 6, 2017

It's really odd, if I try and look at the shadow from up close I don't see a thing on the sapphire crystal.

If it's not a reflection, what could it be?

If it's a manufacturing variability then I'll leave it be, am not going to take a risk with getting dust in if I send it in to Omega.

6. Exarkun12 Aug 6, 2017

Alright I've done something which I should have done at first - check the photos of a GSOTM and a DSOTM I used to have awhile back.

There were photos from those watches with these 'shadows', must be an internal reflection of some sort due to the crystal and the markers....strange I never noticed them before ::confused2::

7. Nicherotors Aug 7, 2017

I was an early adopter and bought my DSOTM when it first came out - and have only just noticed I have a similar shadow after reading this thread - albeit at 2 minutes to midnight. It looks so similar to the other tricks of light around the sapphire I'd never noticed it before. Certainly don't feel disappointed - it's more a curiosity than anything else.

Have now taken a closer look at my GSOTM and that seems fine.

Edited Aug 7, 2017
  8. Motman Aug 7, 2017

I can also se it at 49-51 mins and 54-55 mins on that picture. Must be a trick of the light.

9. Exarkun12 Aug 7, 2017

Thanks Nicherotors. I'm really curious as to what can cause this, especially since it is in a different position on your watch.

I'm wondering how the sapphire crystal is fitted onto the case and is that the reason why there are these shadows which show up. I'm hoping maybe @Archer can shed some light on this please?

Edited Aug 7, 2017
  10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 7, 2017

The crystal is fitted with a gasket - hard plastic compressible style just like most sapphire crystals are...

11. Exarkun12 Aug 7, 2017

Thanks Archer. What do you reckon is the reason for these dark 'shadows'? Is it internal reflection, installation not being done properly, problem with the gasket, or?

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 7, 2017

No idea...I've not had one of these apart and I doubt I ever will (not interested in taking on that risk). So if you have a concern, take it to an Omega AD or Boutique and have them check it out...

13. Exarkun12 Aug 7, 2017

Thanks Archer, will do so next time I go near an OB...

Any other DSOTM owners care to chime in please?

14. Hands90 Aug 7, 2017

I believe I saw something similar to this on the RolexForums this morning

15. themarshmall0w Aug 7, 2017

It could be a couple of things causing that reflection. The crystal is fitted with a hard plastic gasket and if the gasket is slightly too thick it can squish out causing a dark outline on the crystal. The bezel is also attached with the same kind of gasket and can squish out as well, reflecting on the crystal. I have also found that dirt or debris from wearing the watch finds it's way into the gap between the bezel and the crystal. It is very hard to clean without taking the bezel or crystal off. I do not think the case is chipped or cracked. If it were the bezel would fall off easily. @Archer, I wouldn't jump at the opportunity to remove and reinstall this bezel, it is a $250 mistake.

16. José9 Aug 8, 2017

Hi,
    I do not witness the same reflexion in my DSOTM under any light conditions.
    If I were you I'd talk about it with your omega ad or boutique :)

17. OhMegaMan Aug 8, 2017

Learn to live with a little imperfection as long as it doesnt affect the watch function or legibility.

Exarkun12 likes this.
  18. Shailor Aug 8, 2017

Do these appear regardless of lighting or the angle you hold it at? If so, have it looked at by Omega Boutique folks.

19. Exarkun12 Aug 8, 2017

They only appear at certain angles, and disappear at certain angles, I.e. When looking at it directly face on, you don't see it.

I'll probably not do anything with it - too much of a risk getting another problem if I were to send it in to be opened up.

It's one of those things which after noticing it I want to understand what's causing it and whether it is a problem which might cause issues down the line...

20. Exarkun12 Aug 8, 2017

IMG_5643.JPG IMG_5645.JPG

Different lighting conditions and different angles where I don't see it...

I've gotta learn to ignore it i guess [emoji28]